News   Apr 25, 2024
 173     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 534     0 

Green Party of Canada: Leadership Race

In fighting is always a good way to attract potential voters. 'Donate to us so we can fund internecine legal battles'; 'vote for us-we're incoherent'

We practice intraparty politics through arbitrators, and failing that, the courts. The wings of the party clearly aren't meant to be - they should separate.

AoD

In fighting is always a good way to attract potential voters. 'Donate to us so we can fund internecine legal battles'; 'vote for us-we're incoherent'

Bingo. Even more than the Environment, I think the Greens historically attract voters who are "sick of the mainstream parties" and want "to do politics different." This is the party that had the election slogan "Not Left, not Right. Forward." Ever since the leadership race, they have become a circus.

Party fundraising not as bad as one might expect, but the party is dropping money like no tomorrow, and may not have enough for the upcoming campaign:

Party fundraising not as bad as one might expect, but the party is dropping money like no tomorrow, and may not have enough for the upcoming campaign:

If I'm the Greens, I'm ditching the commitment of previous cycles of running candidates in all 338 ridings. Run the candidates who have already been nominated, really focus on no more than five ridings, and pause the inner party squabbling until post-election.

1632234149203.png

OUCH !!!! 🥶

Unfortunately for Paul Manly, it seems the dissatisfaction with Annamie Paul's led Green Party resulted in enough of a margin to cost the Green's their seat in Nanaimo-Ladysmith.

1632235199320.png

Meanwhile

1632234232246.png

Pleasant surprise in Kitchener for the Greens.

They heavily underperformed nationally, but especially in Atlantic Canada where they looked to make big strides in 2019. I still think that the Greens have the ability to make a push into Atlantic Canada, but the Greens under Annamie Paul only cared about Toronto Centre for some bizarre reason.

Last edited:
I think everyone thought Marci Ien and the Liberals were favoured in Toronto Centre, but yikes, I did not expect a distant fourth place showing for Annamie Paul.

She is toast.

I think everyone thought Marci Ien and the Liberals were favoured in Toronto Centre, but yikes, I did not expect a distant fourth place showing for Annamie Paul.

She is toast.

She was already a liability for the party well before the election when she refused to resign amidst their internal civil war. I was fully expecting her to announce her immediate resignation in her speech last night, but there was nothing of the sort.

She's totally delusional.

She is toast.
No doubt; I really do not understand the whole mess with the Greens but there is undoubtedly lots of blame to go around and the Party itself came across as dysfunctional. Annamie never had much of a chance in Toronto Centre but representing a group that was clearly at war with itself certainly did not help her.

Leadership race aside, that whole civil war has shown what a shambolic party they are. And the rise of the PPC has meant there's now substantial vote splitting of the protest (none-of-the-above) vote.

How does a Green Party end up with a climate plan rated lower than the Conservatives for crying out loud? That's their raison d'être in this era. And yet, they somehow spent less time on climate policy development than the CPC.

Only a few months late, it would seem.

Stayed just long enough to create/foster lots of internecine drama, deplete the party's finances, mess up its election organizing, and damage the party's reputation, while imploding as an individual candidate.
Few Party leaders have accomplished as much is so short a time (I mean eroding a party's support at the polls by ~50% in only few months.....)

To be fair to her, its clear that others in the party were not acting maturely or thoughtfully from shortly after she took the helm.
But I find the level of self-immolation (of the Green Party) breathtaking, its difficult to understand as 'honest disagreements' or 'personal friction'.

Last edited:

Back