News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 966     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 366     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Union Station Map and missing platforms

I must be missing something, and just out of curiosity, on looking at the most recent map on the GO Transit website of Union Station showing construction, I notice there are no platforms 1-2, 14-15, 18-19 or 22-25 showing and I remember reading somewhere that the new ARL service might be assigned to a dedicated Platform 1. I travel on the Richmond Hill line that boards on platform 3 and as far as I can tell, it is the first platform in the series. Could someone enlighten me as to the missing platform numbers? Thanks.

I must be missing something, and just out of curiosity, on looking at the most recent map on the GO Transit website of Union Station showing construction, I notice there are no platforms 1-2, 14-15, 18-19 or 22-25 showing and I remember reading somewhere that the new ARL service might be assigned to a dedicated Platform 1. I travel on the Richmond Hill line that boards on platform 3 and as far as I can tell, it is the first platform in the series. Could someone enlighten me as to the missing platform numbers? Thanks.

1-2 - TTC
14-15, 18/19 - VIA Service Platforms
22-23 - Not aware of existence
24-25 - In construction

Arl

Thanks for the info about the platforms. Any idea how they plan to integrate the ARL? With the all day, 15 minute frequency, it would seem it is going to have its own platform and wouldn't that bump one or more of the existing GO train boarding platforms? It would make more sense to have it arrive and depart from a VIA platform since they are not as frequently used.

Not necessarily, there is extra space on the platform at the west end of the platform. Originally there was a yellow lined platform edge all the way to Lower Simcoe. With a little track readjustment they could have an ARL platform in the area currently outside the shed and have the current track 1 break off track 2 closer to the shed. Scheduling may dictate that the Kitchener GO trains need to relocate though since it will be difficult to add Kitchener service on the most northerly track in the corridor at the same time as implementing the ARL. The Richmond Hill line would provide no contention though.

Not necessarily, there is extra space on the platform at the west end of the platform. Originally there was a yellow lined platform edge all the way to Lower Simcoe. With a little track readjustment they could have an ARL platform in the area currently outside the shed and have the current track 1 break off track 2 closer to the shed. Scheduling may dictate that the Kitchener GO trains need to relocate though since it will be difficult to add Kitchener service on the most northerly track in the corridor at the same time as implementing the ARL. The Richmond Hill line would provide no contention though.

The original plan for the service was as SGHA504 said: it would have it's own dedicated track - Track "A" - located to the north of Track 1. The facilities on the south side of the SkyWalk would be converted into the ticketing, waiting and loading area for the ARL service. This was to be done to help get the ARL trains out of the way of all of the GO and VIA services using the station, and also to minimize the tie up of the trackage.

There have been a lot of changes to the project however, and so I don't know if this is still the plan today.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Big huge GO Train traffic jam this morning I noticed as I walked over the Spadina bridge. 5 trains parked there for at least 20 minutes not moving. Never seen that before. Even one train sitting 50 feet behind another on the same track. Never seen that before. Wonder if was construction related.

photo.JPG

Huh. I assumed all those trains were waiting to come into Union Station from the West,but perhaps they were all leaving union station and stopped before Bathurst bridge.

Huh. I assumed all those trains were waiting to come into Union Station from the West,but perhaps they were all leaving union station and stopped before Bathurst bridge.
They probably had to "park' west of Union to allow Lakeshore East trains to get into the station.

If it is, it happen today, as there wasn't anything there yesterday when I did some shooting.

April 25
A lot more up on site. You can see parts of the next section of roofing removed already. New copper flashing is up along the south end.

The April 26 shots will be up in the next few days.
7124731027_6a96e65360_b.jpg

7124733085_919142c2dd_b.jpg

7124735915_34dd9232c3_b.jpg

6978655444_b3076b9e6e_b.jpg

7125777635_8bf695891b_b.jpg

Back