News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 966     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 366     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

I think the heritage shed mixed with the modern skylight trusses will look great. Really it is the darkness that makes the shed so uninviting and with the shed restored, painted, and lit the heritage component should feel warm and antique, and the new skylight colder but more modern. I'm looking forward to both pieces.

Not much different from previous posts however they are putting test glass up next Wednesday and the planning for the next diagonal supports has begun.

IMG3208-L.jpg

IMG3211-L.jpg

IMG3216-L.jpg

IMG3206-XL.jpg

Presto wiring

There is no Presto installation whatsoever at platform level in Union Station, and it will stay that way.

All of the conduit is likely watering or de-watering for the green roof they will be installing up there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is no Presto installation whatsoever at platform level in Union Station, and it will stay that way.

Frankly EnviroTO, I don't see any conduits at all. What I see is the underside of a corrugated structural metal sheet - unless you're talking about above that. Which is where the green roof will be installed.
If you look in the photo above, the conduits running on top of the roof of platform 26/27 are quite clear.

I don't know if they are for Presto or not, but it seems plausible to me ... they have to run the wiring somewhere, and here clearly is new wiring. Why don't you think they'd run any wire at platform level to get from one side to the other?

The conduits are likely not new and are almost certainly used for the wiring for the platform lighting, the LED destination/information signs, the video cameras and the video monitors installed in the middle of the platform that the CSA looks at to see if the doors are clear (necessary because the platform is curved).

There are a thousand conduits closer to the PRESTO machines in the halls thirty feet below the platform roof. There is no way they are running PRESTO wiring there.

The conduits are likely not new and are almost certainly used for the wiring for the platform lighting, the LED destination/information signs, the video cameras and the video monitors installed in the middle of the platform that the CSA looks at to see if the doors are clear (necessary because the platform is curved).

There are a thousand conduits closer to the PRESTO machines in the halls thirty feet below the platform roof. There is no way they are running PRESTO wiring there.
Fair enough ... but as it's on top of the new platform, surely the conduits are new ...

Given what they are doing to Union Station, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran all sorts of things in the one place it wouldn't get in the way while they gut the rest of the station!

Fair enough ... but as it's on top of the new platform, surely the conduits are new ...

Given what they are doing to Union Station, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran all sorts of things in the one place it wouldn't get in the way while they gut the rest of the station!

It'll be really interesting to see what it'll look like when the removal of the roof pushes further north, and the construction is directly above the GO tracks (it's over the VIA tracks now). Could make for some pretty interesting construction photos.

All of the conduit is likely watering or de-watering for the green roof they will be installing up there.

Ten parallel pipes to water or drain the grass on a 5 feet wide surface? Seems like overkill, especially since the point of a green roof is to be green as in environmentally friendly. That means not using energy to water the grass and capturing rain water. I'm more likely to believe the other suggestion that it is temporarily relocated wiring so it doesn't get in the way of the construction going on. Makes sense considering the blocked areas at each end of the roof where likely the conduits come up from below.

Ten parallel pipes to water or drain the grass on a 5 feet wide surface? Seems like overkill, especially since the point of a green roof is to be green as in environmentally friendly. That means not using energy to water the grass and capturing rain water. I'm more likely to believe the other suggestion that it is temporarily relocated wiring so it doesn't get in the way of the construction going on. Makes sense considering the blocked areas at each end of the roof where likely the conduits come up from below.

The size of the pipe looks a bit big compared to other installations I've seen, but generally that is the kind of thing that is done with a green roof on a non-permeable barrier.

Remember, you want plants up there. Not swamps.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Or (and I am just speculating) they are things that used to run along the ground but when the new platform was built it was determined that they would be better off being diverted up and over rather than under the platform (in case they ever needed to be gotten at - easier to do that on a roof than rip up a platform).

As I type this it occurs to me that (as most things) it is likely a combination of new stuff and re-routed old stuff.

While it "looks new" it was covered up for a long time after the platform was built. It's also NOT a lot of conduits. I count 10, that's not much. GO Stations in general have conduits everywhere. Go into any station tunnel and the ceiling will be lined with dozens of them.

In addition to what I mentioned above, there are also train signals on this platform. There's only 10 conduits in the picture, that's a very small number given all the stuff they have to feed:

LED platform signs
Train Signals
Security Cameras
TV screens
Platform Lighting

Having to feed all that with power and data connections, those 10 conduits would be crammed with wires. It is almost a certainty that these onduits have always been there and they have nothing to do with a green roof or PRESTO.

Last edited:

Back