News   Jul 19, 2024
 366     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 649     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Sure, and they'll be replaced by new people driving.

Congestion in Toronto isn't going anywhere. Perhaps a 3 or 4 year reprieve as immigration ramps up again, but long term this plan is strictly about economic growth.

I mostly agree with this point - if you get people off the roads, others will take their place. But I think at the margin of extreme, paralyzing congestion, this may not hold up when there are actually good transit options. People will still clog up the roads to take the place of others, but the average tolerable congestion level will be reduced by really competitive transit.

As was said above, if the $12 billion is the true total (which I too doubt), then so be it. Turning GO into a regional electrified frequent rail network is well worth it and a far better use of money than, say, subways.

Now I also agree about LRTs to the GO REX. That's the way you get your suburbanites out of their cars. Maybe a little strong-arming from Metrolinx to get TTC to actually have their buses properly stop at GO station bus loops (not across the street, for example), and you'll even get people out of driving to the GO.

Out in my neck of the woods in Durham we may never convince people to fully leave the car at home, but at least we can push less of them to do so.

And I also agree that driving to the GO, although not perfect, is still better than driving the whole way downtown.

Agreed. GO RER is a huge improvement. Let's say it does cost $12B. The GTHA budget is $15B. With a contribution from the City of Toronto, we could squeeze in DRL phase 1. DRL phase 1 + GO RER by 2024 is a very solid improvement. GO RER is effectively rapid transit, so by doing we can build hundreds of kilometres of rapid transit for $12B. Whereas $12B would only buy you about 25km of TTC subway.

The province needs to prioritize, and GO RER should be at the top of that list. No other improvement will have such a broad effect on the entire urban region.

Sure, and they'll be replaced by new people driving.

Congestion in Toronto isn't going anywhere. Perhaps a 3 or 4 year reprieve as immigration ramps up again, but long term this plan is strictly about economic growth.

I asked Metrolinx about this (having bus routes go to bus bays in GO stations). They basically said that it doesn't make sense until you have frequent all day go service, which I agree with.

The frequent bus to subway model has been used to successfully get high ridership from suburbs in Toronto. We can use the same model with GO instead of the subway for even longer distances.

Congestion isn't going anywhere, but if you have frequent regional rail + good local service, it makes it more viable for more people to take transit long distances, which a lot of people would choose to due to insane traffic & costly or unavailable parking, and the fact that you can read or do work on the train.

Exactly. Even a 50 percent share is great progress.

If you drive to a GO station, you are creating gridlock and traffic issues in the first place "IF" there is transit to it as well quality service in your area. This is the "NEXT BIG STEP" Metrolinx needs to do is funding quality service to GO stations so people don't drive and stop building these ridiculous parking structures.

They need to build more stations that are walk-in with no drop off or pickup areas

Totally agree with this! Also with the increased frequencies they could turn parking lots into transit oriented neighbourhoods, put parking underground if needed and make stations destinations much like many of the subway stations in Toronto are. For example, they could build movie theatres, shopping malls, office space etc. around the stations.

This would also make it so people would use the system to travel throughout the region and not just in and out of downtown Toronto. For example if I lived in Georgetown and worked in downtown Brampton. Or if I lived in Bradford and wanted to go see a movie in Barrie.

Totally agree with this! Also with the increased frequencies they could turn parking lots into transit oriented neighbourhoods, put parking underground if needed and make stations destinations much like many of the subway stations in Toronto are. For example, they could build movie theatres, shopping malls, office space etc. around the stations.

This would also make it so people would use the system to travel throughout the region and not just in and out of downtown Toronto. For example if I lived in Georgetown and worked in downtown Brampton. Or if I lived in Bradford and wanted to go see a movie in Barrie.

Not disputing the benefits of more transit to GO stations nor walkable stations (although I think you have to avoid the one size fits all approach) but curious to know why you think it would impact that guy that lives in Georgetown and works in DT Brampton? Wouldn't he, you know, just get off the train in DT Brampton and every employer in the DT is within, what, a 5 minute walk from the station?

I think good feeder bus systems (or LRT or subways in some cases) is the most important way to get people from their homes to the GO station, and from the GO station to their destination.

This is especially true in very suburban areas where the trip origin/destinations are extremely spread out, and many places aren't within walking distance of the stations.

It's the same way people get to the subway from the suburbs of Toronto, frequent bus routes with easy transfers to the subway.

Not disputing the benefits of more transit to GO stations nor walkable stations (although I think you have to avoid the one size fits all approach) but curious to know why you think it would impact that guy that lives in Georgetown and works in DT Brampton? Wouldn't he, you know, just get off the train in DT Brampton and every employer in the DT is within, what, a 5 minute walk from the station?
Maybe the guy is a part-timer who can't find part-time work in Georgetown, but found it in Brampton. Or works a weird shift that isn't covered by standard rush service.

Train-Truck collision on the Barrie line during this mornings rush hour commute. Minimal damage was sustained to the locomotive which is reinforced to survive a head on collision with another engine nevermind a truck.

The fault lines entirely with the truck driver(unless sightlines were obstructed) as the accident happened at a private crossing. Such crossings are not required to have positive protection(i.e. gate and/or bell) and only need crossbucks. Trains are not required to apply the 14L whistle signal (two long, one short, one long) or the bell a 1/4 mile in advance of such crossing. All vehicles using the crossing must stop and then proceed only when it is safe to do so.

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but I figured this is as good of a place as any (could very well belong in the Fantasy thread if it wasn't devoted primarily to maps):

Has GO ever considered creating what would basically be a "Business Class" or "First Class" service on their trains, especially rush hour trains? By this I mean devote a car (for logistical reasons probably the first one behind the locomotive) to catering to clientele who want a more "premium" commute.

What I envision is a retrofit car with comfier seats, with all seats facing the same way, but can be rotated when the train changes direction. It would also include Wifi, a designated platform boarding area, preferred parking (already exists, but could be rolled into this service), a private lounge at Union, and perhaps an additional staff member.

My rationale for this is that when you look at airlines and VIA, first class tickets are where they make their profit. The vast majority of coach passengers are just covering the operating expenses. GO already recovers a pretty decent amount of it's operating expenses from fares, but I can't help but think that a monthly or yearly subscription to GO+ (pick a name, any name) for an extra couple hundred dollars a month may provide an even greater recovery % for GO.

Just wondering if this idea has ever been considered, or if it's been considered and rejected, or if anybody has even really thought of it.

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but I figured this is as good of a place as any.
Good grief, let's hope not.

Given how badly this has been perceived in England, how unpopular it is, and they've slowly been dismantling it over the years, why would any politician ever want to do something that would upset so many people?

What happens in England (I won't say UK, as I'm less sure of the other nations) is there is a perception (and likely a reality behind it) that the first class carriages, particularly on commuter services, have empty seats, and yet people are standing in the other carriages.

BTW, here's a recent example from the Mail that set's the tone (not that I trust the Mail on news ... but it very much gives you the tone). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sters-pay-train-firms-away-premium-seats.html

I know the UAE or somewhere has 3 class metro trains.. It may be a good idea but you would definitely have to add an additional car to trains instead of converting one, making 11 or 13 car trains.

I know the UAE or somewhere has 3 class metro trains.. It may be a good idea but you would definitely have to add an additional car to trains instead of converting one, making 11 or 13 car trains.
Do we really want to model our services on a country so socially backward that they have all but legalized slavery? Of course you won't be in the same car as your slaves?

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with first class services if the revenues are making it possible to carry more standard class passengers and not displacing them. The issue is that for rush hour the issue is that the infrastructure is maxed out and not the things that could be improved with slightly more funds.

I would hope Metrolinx will watch how UPX performs before contemplating additional premium options - after all, they outsourced the lounge in Union to VIA rather than do it themselves. The obvious car to consider doing this with would have been the new cab cars, perhaps as a first/cafe on longer trips, but GO's preference for equipment homogeneity makes me think they have little interest.

Back