News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

One train I was on had the bathrooms in two adjacent coaches deemed "occupied" for about half the trip to Aldershot. Was someone in a really bad way, or do those lights go on when the bathrooms are out of service?

The "occupied" light turns on whenever the door is locked; by someone using the washroom, by someone dodging fare inspectors, or by GO staff locking it because something in the washroom is broken.

June 29/30

I was surprise that the existing station was not part of the new station.

There are "NO" Washrooms at the station.

Looks like some reserved parking on the east side, but block off. The Street on the west side is the parking lot as well for the residences.

No elevators, but are replace with ramps on both side of the tracks.

The yard is walking distance from the station and can be seen from the road. The yard will hold 6 12 car trains, but only 5 store there now.

The 2 trains with power at both ends have no cab car. F59PH III 559 & 560 on one train, 563 and MP 642 on the other. The rest have MP at one end only. @ units encase one breaks down for weekend service.

They have fix the old station up, but still need work as well the area around it. Not sure what the plan is for the station.

There are 7 bus bays at the north end. Barrie Transit will start using the station as a hub starting in August when the system is reline as well upgraded.

When I was in Europe last year, non first class trains had no supplies or water on them, but I came prepare for them. First time I have heard major issues with washrooms on trains.

Forgot to stop off at Barrie South Station.

From what I could see where I was shooting the video from, not many riders got on the train. Less than 50 might be a high guess.

There is close to 150 photos of the station both at night (Not Plan) and daylight up on site.
9193647047_b086dd547c_b.jpg

9196455586_3fd03a1d37_b.jpg

9191186627_f59086e853_b.jpg

9191169685_35ae5ca142_b.jpg

9193972566_f27d90e337_b.jpg

9193483079_86180a5877_b.jpg

Old Station Switch with metal ties.
9193492723_9c53951e10_b.jpg

9193599287_d74c4d86bd_b.jpg

9196211122_45cde3c15a_b.jpg

9193654163_7c69a363c0_b.jpg

First day of 30-minute train service. I took new trains both ways on my LSE commute today, arriving at Union at 12:11 in the afternoon and leaving Union at 19:43 in the evening.

I would've expected them to be half as full as normal. On my way to Union, about 1/8 of the seats were full which is half what's normal on that train since it's a really odd time to be going anywhere. On the way back though was surprisingly empty, I think there were 7-8 people and a group of 4-5 people apart from myself on the upper level of my train car. The 19:13 and 20:13 return trips usually have between 1/2 to 3/4 of the seats taken where I sit. Maybe people will slowly get used to the new schedules and actually take advantage of all the trains.

First day of 30-minute train service. I took new trains both ways on my LSE commute today, arriving at Union at 12:11 in the afternoon and leaving Union at 19:43 in the evening.

I would've expected them to be half as full as normal. On my way to Union, about 1/8 of the seats were full which is half what's normal on that train since it's a really odd time to be going anywhere. On the way back though was surprisingly empty, I think there were 7-8 people and a group of 4-5 people apart from myself on the upper level of my train car. The 19:13 and 20:13 return trips usually have between 1/2 to 3/4 of the seats taken where I sit. Maybe people will slowly get used to the new schedules and actually take advantage of all the trains.

We are moving into the summer holiday season and will see a drop in ridership during that time frame. One reason GO started the service on June 29 was to see how it will impact on scheduling with less riders than a normal crowds.

Moving to a new time is going to take time for more riders, since people will start to test try the various times to see what is the best time for them to travel.

I know for me going to Burlington will see me taking the new train since I will not have waste time once I get to Burlington like I do now.

Ultimately, I'm sure. On day one, I doubt that many people are aware that the service has changed. Give it a few months to a year for people to adjust.
Also, for many local bus connections are still tightly tied to the original offpeak trips and not the new ones. Durham Region Transit, for example, runs many local routes (e.g. the ones that run from a neighbourhood to a GO station) hourly, timed to the old schedule.

It was nice though right? Less people for a quieter ride.

Holy Jeez, I can't believe the got the colours so wrong on the historic station. There is plenty of evidence that Allandale was originally painted in the standard GTR colours, even if you don't believe this postcard.

pcr-90.jpg

Big service disruption today for any of the lines not served by off peak trains.

There is a pretty major accident at Bay and Lakeshore that has forced the closure of the bus terminal. No buses are leaving or entering the terminal...

UNION STATION GO BUS PASSENGERS:
Due to a car accident at the corner of Bay St. and Lakeshore Blvd.
W., GO Buses are unable to access the Union Station Bus
Terminal at this time. As a result, all bus services at the terminal
is suspended until further notice.

Buses servicing the Union Station Bus Terminal and operating
along our north and east routes (Barrie, Richmond Hill &
Stouffville) will be accommodated at York Mills. Passengers may
use their GO tickets to board the TTC at Union or York Mills.

Buses servicing the Union Station Bus Terminal and operating
along our west routes (Hamilton Express, Milton and Georgetown
Corridors) will terminate and originate at the Port Credit GO
Station and passengers will be accommodated on our 30 minute
Lakeshore West service.

It was nice though right? Less people for a quieter ride.

It was nice to be emptier but I always feel bad. It's like when you're the only person on a TTC bus wondering "Couldn't this bus have been used a bit better?"

Then again, I'll continue to use the new trains on the way home once the school semester starts since I frequently have classes ending at 9:00 pm. So I won't feel bad, I'll enjoy my faster commute home.

It was nice to be emptier but I always feel bad. It's like when you're the only person on a TTC bus wondering "Couldn't this bus have been used a bit better?"

Then again, I'll continue to use the new trains on the way home once the school semester starts since I frequently have classes ending at 9:00 pm. So I won't feel bad, I'll enjoy my faster commute home.
I agree 100 percent. It's a like a well kept secret. For now..

Big service disruption today for any of the lines not served by off peak trains.

There is a pretty major accident at Bay and Lakeshore that has forced the closure of the bus terminal. No buses are leaving or entering the terminal...

You should have seen the mess on King St at John St area. In one place I counted 20 streetcars, 25 cars with 32 people in them.

Hummmmm!!!!!!.............25 cars =32 people vs. 20 Streetcars with about 1,000+ people. Something wrong with that picture. I have the photo.

They even had the 501 using the loop to short turn at Spadina of all things.

Holy Jeez, I can't believe the got the colours so wrong on the historic station. There is plenty of evidence that Allandale was originally painted in the standard GTR colours, even if you don't believe this postcard.

I thought the station look odd in colour, as I didn't remember being that what the last I saw it years ago, let alone the area.

Not sure where to put this and can be move:

I understand Gary McNeil, President, GO Transit is retiring this Fall.

A change of management is supposed to happen on the Georgetown Corridor since the Weston area is 9 months behind schedule.

GO is looking at buying more DD to replace the existing fleet on routes they can use the DD on. Still under review.

The Fed's are looking at changing the current policy's and standard for buses and move to the EU standards. This includes inter-provincial. Now if they only do that for the RR.

By the end of 2014, AA will replace the CSA of that duty.

All GO equipment will be GPS. You will be able to track them on any mobile device by year end or early 2014.

All Stations will be accessibly come 2016.

With the project to build the new condo at Mimico going ahead now, it will include a new station. It will also deal with part of the accessibility issues there, but requires a 2nd tunnel to deal with 100%. The only way you can get wider platforms in there, the existing tracks have to be shift north and widening the bridge. Also time to buy the property at both end of the station as it would allow better yard movement along with the platforms.

The Long Branch Project has die, but GO going to go ahead with a new station for it. There should be a south platform since the land is there and that will remove the need for an elevator.

There is talk that some elevators will be replace with ramps where there is enough room. The only Station I have seen this way is Barrie, then I have yet to see all of them. Bronte South entrance is a ramp along with Malton, but require an elevator to the platform.

Lots of other changes are coming.

Back