News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.9K     10 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Right now they're very big on utilizing one crew for multiple runs to cut costs. So the timing of trains is restricted by the availability of crews. Currently 838 (the 9:20 run) is operated by the crew that does the earlier 834 (7:25) run. They're scheduled to arrive at Union at 8:13, after which they have to change ends and do a brake test(10mins), deadhead back up to RH (40mins), where they once again have to change ends and do brake test(10mins) which leaves them with about 5-10 mins to spare. So it can't be done any faster with that crew. Which will bring us to the obvious response - use a different train/crew.

I can assure you the logistics of crew dispatching are quite complicated and I believe its fair to assume that they did indeed do their due diligence on the matter. Afterall GO obviously wants its trains to be better utilized, its not their goal to run empty trains and I'm sure their aware that an earlier train on the line would likely serve more people.

Some might suggest an easy solution - use one of the earlier RH trains. Well, 832 (the 6:55 train) turns into 477 (7:50 Lakeshore west out of Union). 830 (the 6:25 train) was recently changed to a different assignment, one that actually works over night. For them to do the 838 run, even if it left at say 8:30, would result in a total shift time over 11 hours. Now your starting to run into problems with hours of service and aside from that it would add 2 1/2 hours of overtime, which as I've stated is something they've been avoiding like the plague.

Next is looking at assignments on other lines and seeing if they could add that run to their schedule while taking into account potential additional overtime costs. Sorry but I don't have the time to go into a detailed analysis of such. But after a quick glace, it seems doubtful to me that they they could add this run to another assignment, least not without changing that runs schedule. I'd also assume that they looked into the possibility of having a new job which could do that run alone, but perhaps found that there would be no use for the crew afterwards which goes back to efficient crew usage. It's also possible that there's simply no man power for such a run at the current time(depends on what the spare board allotments are, which I'm not privy to). It's also possible that there's simply no track time for that run at an earlier time. Either at Doncaster or north there of(territory that GO does not own) or possibly even at Union station itself.

My point being that its not a simple thing to change a schedule. Sometimes other factors interfere with what would be the most optimal time.

Much better response than your original "stop complaining and be happy with what you have" comment.

Given the UP express' limited niche usefulness, and the relatively short length of Richmond Hill Line, what would people think of using these two routes as extensions of the DRL? The DRL would run largely underground between Dundas West and Don Mills, but would then transition to the UP Express ROW north of Dundas West and to the Richmond Hill GO line using the same electrified vehicles.

Given the UP express' limited niche usefulness, and the relatively short length of Richmond Hill Line, what would people think of using these two routes as extensions of the DRL? The DRL would run largely underground between Dundas West and Don Mills, but would then transition to the UP Express ROW north of Dundas West and to the Richmond Hill GO line using the same electrified vehicles.

Using the Richmond Hill line north of Don Mills (the neighbourhood) up to RHC would probably be less expensive than the Yonge extension up to RHC, and would probably see just as much ridership.

Perhaps the RH Line should have a Broadview Station stop, as well as a Leslieville stop on a future DRL line, to increase it's usefulness.

Perhaps the RH Line should have a Broadview Station stop, as well as a Leslieville stop on a future DRL line, to increase it's usefulness.

A Gerrard stop and a stop just north of Don Mills neighbourhood at Don Mills Rd. Those are about the only 2 places south of Oriole that you can realistically put a station given the current alignment.

Because it serves no purpose to have the RH extension you keep touting and a low ridership (look at the stats) go line.
I'm not touting a Yonge extension, York Region is. I just think it'll get approved sooner rather than later. But I don't think that extension would make the Richmond Hill line obsolete.

In response to customer complaints, GO added a 8:30am bus, express from Richmond Hill to Union station (arriving at 9:30am). Link.

No help for Langstaff passengers, however.

In response to customer complaints, GO added a 8:30am bus, express from Richmond Hill to Union station (arriving at 9:30am). Link.

No help for Langstaff passengers, however.

Nice if it's true and not a misprint in the schedule, at least one step in fixing the problem.

Another option for a new station is the straight stretch of track between Green Lane and John street, just north of the diamond. Would serve the nearby condos and shopping centre. YRT bus connections could be provided to divert some Yonge line passengers from, say, Steeles and other locations. They could also squeeze a parking structure to be shared with the mall, in a similar manner Langstaff north parking lot is shared with Home Depot.

Nice if it's true and not a misprint in the schedule, at least one step in fixing the problem.

Another option for a new station is the straight stretch of track between Green Lane and John street, just north of the diamond. Would serve the nearby condos and shopping centre. YRT bus connections could be provided to divert some Yonge line passengers from, say, Steeles and other locations. They could also squeeze a parking structure to be shared with the mall, in a similar manner Langstaff north parking lot is shared with Home Depot.

I've always thought that would be a logical location for a station too. Even if it was just a simple platform and a couple shelters like Old Cummer.

Can't see anyone wanting to touch the Green Lane/John Street stretch until the question of grade separating Doncaster Diamond is settled given the possible resulting grades.

The west leg in particular makes a lot of sense to me. I've posted a proposal for it in the Subway maps thread.

Using the Bala subdivision as an eastern extension (north of Eglinton, I assume) could work, but the section north of the CN York Subdivision is owned by CN and is their main line to Northern and Western Canada, so any frequent transit line would require a new ROW anyway.

Back