News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

You can't win with you people can you.
People want more trains so you give them trains. But now they want more buses instead, make up your mind please.

They could make this train depart at 11AM and still cancel all the morning buses, the ridership would be even lower
If they made it 8:50 the would be probably no complaints.
It's not about trains vs. buses, it's about reasonable scheduling. The schedule of this train is not reasonable, it's just too late for most shoulder-peak commuters who used the 8:30-8:40 (and Langstaff 8:55) buses.
This new train does a good job replacing the 9:10 and 9:20 buses. It can't replace the other 4 cancelled ones. It's not about "more buses instead", it's about "some buses that served specific schedules that couldn't be replaced by the new train".

lol, you'll get no sympathy from me. The option is there for people to use a road alternative, whether they take it or not is their choice. In reality, those people who decided to drive instead of taking the train should thank themselves for increasing the Don Valley congestion.

If a person has the options of arriving 60 minutes early or 25 minutes late, she'll most likely choose neither.

It's not all bad though. Some previous 8:30 bus users could drive to Maple and Rutherford stations to catch the 8:29 train and still be downtown earlier.

The new 06:44 Stouffville train is gloriously uncrowded. It's only a matter of time before people figure this out though. Getting up 23 minutes earlier is kind of rough, but I think it shaves a good 10 minutes off my commute since there isn't as much crowding at union and the subway isn't as busy. It's amazing what a difference 20 minutes can make!

it does seem a bit early, I was expecting a later train, or a new train inserted between current trains TBH. regardless, the Stouffville line has received some nice service increases lately, now if it could only get some new parking garages like the other GO lines have been getting. specifically at Mount Joy, which is a small site for a suburban GO stop. It could have street fronting retail on the first floor, with maybe 3 or 4 levels of parking on top.

Last edited:
it does seem a bit early, I was expecting a later train, or a new train inserted between current trains TBH. regardless, the Stouffville line has received some nice service increases lately, now if it could only get some new parking garages like the other GO lines have been getting. specifically at Mount Joy, which is a small site for a suburban GO stop. It could have street fronting retail on the first floor, with maybe 3 or 4 levels of parking on top.

The Centennial garage turned out pretty nice.

I would love to see a garage at the parking lot north of the tracks at Markham GO, but I'm not sure the city heritage folks would allow that.

At least with Mount Joy, GO bought that extra land and expanded the parking. It's a start. Unionville will eventually have a giant structure, I'm sure, and the stations south of Steeles could also use some kind of garage as well, where there is room.

Silly rabbit!
As mentioned earlier and to which I concurred, the new inbound train's schedule is pretty lousy, with a long gap in the schedule. If the train was a proper 60 minutes after the last, or arriving before 10, there'd be no reason to complain.

They could make this train depart at 11AM and still cancel all the morning buses, the ridership would be even lower
If they made it 8:50 the would be probably no complaints.
It's not about trains vs. buses, it's about reasonable scheduling. The schedule of this train is not reasonable, it's just too late for most shoulder-peak commuters who used the 8:30-8:40 (and Langstaff 8:55) buses.
This new train does a good job replacing the 9:10 and 9:20 buses. It can't replace the other 4 cancelled ones. It's not about "more buses instead", it's about "some buses that served specific schedules that couldn't be replaced by the new train".

Right now they're very big on utilizing one crew for multiple runs to cut costs. So the timing of trains is restricted by the availability of crews. Currently 838 (the 9:20 run) is operated by the crew that does the earlier 834 (7:25) run. They're scheduled to arrive at Union at 8:13, after which they have to change ends and do a brake test(10mins), deadhead back up to RH (40mins), where they once again have to change ends and do brake test(10mins) which leaves them with about 5-10 mins to spare. So it can't be done any faster with that crew. Which will bring us to the obvious response - use a different train/crew.

I can assure you the logistics of crew dispatching are quite complicated and I believe its fair to assume that they did indeed do their due diligence on the matter. Afterall GO obviously wants its trains to be better utilized, its not their goal to run empty trains and I'm sure their aware that an earlier train on the line would likely serve more people.

Some might suggest an easy solution - use one of the earlier RH trains. Well, 832 (the 6:55 train) turns into 477 (7:50 Lakeshore west out of Union). 830 (the 6:25 train) was recently changed to a different assignment, one that actually works over night. For them to do the 838 run, even if it left at say 8:30, would result in a total shift time over 11 hours. Now your starting to run into problems with hours of service and aside from that it would add 2 1/2 hours of overtime, which as I've stated is something they've been avoiding like the plague.

Next is looking at assignments on other lines and seeing if they could add that run to their schedule while taking into account potential additional overtime costs. Sorry but I don't have the time to go into a detailed analysis of such. But after a quick glace, it seems doubtful to me that they they could add this run to another assignment, least not without changing that runs schedule. I'd also assume that they looked into the possibility of having a new job which could do that run alone, but perhaps found that there would be no use for the crew afterwards which goes back to efficient crew usage. It's also possible that there's simply no man power for such a run at the current time(depends on what the spare board allotments are, which I'm not privy to). It's also possible that there's simply no track time for that run at an earlier time. Either at Doncaster or north there of(territory that GO does not own) or possibly even at Union station itself.

My point being that its not a simple thing to change a schedule. Sometimes other factors interfere with what would be the most optimal time.

If you rode the RH line, you'd know how crowded it is. There are no seats left and there are many standees after the Langstaff stop. I wish they had some express service from Richmond Hill/Langstaff.

During rush hour they should have separate express stations starting at different busy stations in the 905, and only stopping at subway interchanges in the 416. Also jack up the speed to 200 kph.

I can't believe the Richmond Hill line has no weekend bus service whatsoever. You'd think RH residents would like an alternative to the Yonge Subway/VIVA.

I can't believe the Richmond Hill line has no weekend bus service whatsoever. You'd think RH residents would like an alternative to the Yonge Subway/VIVA.
The Richmond Hill line get's people to Union Station. Where are people in Richmond Hill going on a weekend? Union Station? If Queen and Yonge ... then it's probably faster for them to take VIVA and the subway. It's a 42-minute train ride from Langstaff station (Richmond Hill Centre) to Union. Google Transit shows it's only 50 minutes on Viva Blue and the subway on a Saturday morning (with a very generous 10 minuts to change from Viva Blue to the subway). So if your going to Yonge/Queen, it's probably faster NOT to take the GO Train.

Quite frankly, once the subway is extended to Langstaff station, I'm not really sure how much demand there's going to be on the Richmond Hill GO Train from Langstaff to Union compared to now.

... and no evening southbound service either.
There's a lot of people, especially young recent UofT graduates, who live in Toronto and commute to the Beaver Creek / Commerce Valley business park. They could take GO buses for their commutes if it was possible for them to get back in the afternoon, but there's no such option. Even converting the current deadheaded trains into revenue operation, especially that new 9:20 train (8:23 from Union?), would draw a lot of new reverse-commute customers, even though some of them take longer time to reach the destination because of all the waiting on the passing tracks. I've read somewhere on this forum that they were planning a new passing track around Eglinton, is that true?
Speaking of passing tracks, yesterday I noticed fresh grading on the Barrie line just South of Finch. The grading continues South from the existing short spur track that is parallel to the mainline and used as a collector for other spurs into some oil refinery (or whatever that is), and is quite long. I'm not an expert, but this new grading looks quite smooth and ready to laying track. It also continues a little bit North and connects to the second track at York University station.
Are they planning to install a new passing track there to allow possible two-way service? Last summer's weekend runs were nice, but a bit lacking, is this new passing track (if that's what it is) somehow connected to their promise of a "better scheduling for this year's weekend service"?

It would be nice to see GO using its network a bit more and prompting people to think about destinations not directly served by the line they are most familiar with.

For instance Barrie people are offered no indication on official timetables of possibilities to transfer from Aurora or Maple GO to Richmond Hill GO if they worked at, say, North York General Hospital which is a short distance from Oriole GO. As the RH line extends to Gormley and later Bloomington hopefully that will occur to someone in that case, since increasing ridership on the outer edges of lines to destinations short of Union improves the overall load factors on the service with less need to add proportional capacity and hopefully driving the business case to separate Doncaster Diamond.

Back