News   Jul 22, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 856     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 513     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Was on the 4:49 Kitchener line train. The accessibility coach 2549 don't have AC at all, it feels like 30+ inside and no airflow. I could move to other coaches but feel so bad for the CSA and those who require accessibility assistance. How does MX allow it to be in service??

Was on the 4:49 Kitchener line train. The accessibility coach 2549 don't have AC at all, it feels like 30+ inside and no airflow. I could move to other coaches but feel so bad for the CSA and those who require accessibility assistance. How does MX allow it to be in service??

Tweet at them and ask. Shame is a wonderful motivator.

Tweet at them and ask. Shame is a wonderful motivator.
To be fair, considering how many coaches they have, trying to maintain all the AC's in every coach while maintaining service must be a constant battle.

At my work, during the summer, our mechanics struggle to maintain the AC's in all our equipment. I often see operators driving around the yard with their door wide open. That's how you know their AC doesn't work.

To be fair, considering how many coaches they have, trying to maintain all the AC's in every coach while maintaining service must be a constant battle.

At my work, during the summer, our mechanics struggle to maintain the AC's in all our equipment. I often see operators driving around the yard with their door wide open. That's how you know their AC doesn't work.

The fault is not (necessarily) in the a/c breaking down, its in letting the equipment go into service.

GO Transit has vast levels of spare coaches.

No reason one can't be changed out.

IF it broke in service........that's a different matter.

The fault is not (necessarily) in the a/c breaking down, its in letting the equipment go into service.

GO Transit has vast levels of spare coaches.

No reason one can't be changed out.

IF it broke in service........that's a different matter.
Yeah, but some of those coaches were probably put in storage during the winter months when they weren't testing out the AC's.

Yeah, but some of those coaches were probably put in storage during the winter months when they weren't testing out the AC's.

Winterization and summerization programs are a part of any round the year business.

For once, I'm willing to give ML a break. Finding one car with non-functioning AC is no big deal. One would have to know when the trouble was first reported, and what was then done. If you come back in three days with the same car still running hot, then maybe that's a sign of something. I'm not so sure that a single car without AC would take a trainset out of service - possibly it is close to its usual cycle thru the shop.

For all its deficiencies, ML is actually pretty first class when it comes to SOGR.

- Paul

Screenshot_2024-07-21_172112.jpg

I'm going to speculate that the "tight timing" was that this train was scheduled to turn back from Aurora to the siding at Kirby, likely to allow a southbound from Barrie to pass. So the delay would have had knock-on effects.

Definitely the wrong train to have had the doors messed with, adding some track capacity can't happen fast enough.

- Paul

It's hard to imagine how a 15-second delay holding the doors would have effected the departure time. Feels there's more to this.
I’m the one who tweeted that stuff, when the doors detect a blockage they try to close again 3 more times, each time getting progressively harder to try and force anything blocking the door out of the way, after the 3rd time the door must be manually cut out and back in (or just remain cut out) by a crew member. (C):
IMG_8253.jpeg

That took 5 minutes, the other 6 minutes were waiting to leave Union as the train now had to wait for other trains in the USRC to make way.

This Aurora-bound train had to be cancelled at Maple because this train deadheads from Aurora to Kirby siding to make way for the southbound Allandale train.
The southbound Allandale train has to pass a northbound Allandale train later down the line at I believe Concord. After that, the northbound Allandale train has to pass that deadheaded Kirby train before the train at Kirby can go back to Aurora for its southbound trip.

With a 11 minute delay this train would be getting to Aurora after the Northbound was scheduled to depart, so it had to be cut back.

Delays on the Barrie Line cascade very quickly and short turning Aurora trains at Maple avoids serious delays to other trains to and from Allandale, if those 2 trains are delayed it proceeds to delay the next 2 northbound and southbound Aurora trains, and the problem continues.

Shuttle buses were quickly dispatched and communication was clear.

The engineer or conductor also came over the PA system and told off whoever held the doors, saying something along the lines of “I’m happy you made the decision that you wanted to to sit here and hang out with all of us as we fix the problem you made”.
IMG_5126.jpeg

Last edited:

Back