News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

As I've said here before, my dream is a nice new Downtown Buffalo intercity terminal that can serve Amtrak, intercity buses and a rail service to Toronto. It would have to be set up like Vancouver's Pacific Central Terminal, with a separated border control area for US and Canadian customs and immigration. Ideally, buses from Canada could also stop briefly at the US border, check in with the guard, get a seal across the door, then proceed direct to the terminal, where passengers are let off and processed. (And vice-versa Canada-bound).

As for Niagara Falls, yes, the ideal situation would be to open the Whirlpool Bridge to all pedestrians (right now, it's car passengers using Nexus only), though Niagara Falls did build a new Amtrak station right at the bridge (it used to be at the yard father east, much more isolated).

Yup, toddling 1000' high above the Niagara Gorge on a day like today is every commuter's dream.

To my recollection Treasury Board has approved sufficient funding for a 25% increase in service this year. (I will stand corrected if needs be)

That's a fair few new train runs launching at some point.

I don't know which services are contemplated for large scale improvement, Barrie and Stouffville have the most new track coming on line this year. I imagine extension of LSW to Hamilton is in there somewhere.

I've heard some rumours that the extension of LSW all-day service to West Harbour on at least an hourly basis isn't far off. Some track work needs to be finished off at Bayview Jct, and then (as I said rumours) it is allegedly viable. Would be a huge boost for Hamilton.

^ A better question would be the discussions that took place with CN post the change when there was a realization in December-January there were concerns, and the turn around time to implement the February 13th train. CN probably had either some degree of flexibility, the crew schedule changes were possible on the Metrolinx side, and going to night/evening weekend service is something CN wasn't able to accommodate at this point. Those are all guesses on my part.
Another option is that one of the trains get's shortened to Bramalea ... and I don't think that impacts CN at all.

On one hand though, that would be such a PR disaster, that you'd think it was impossible ... on the other hand Metrolinx.

Another option is that one of the trains get's shortened to Bramalea ... and I don't think that impacts CN at all.

On one hand though, that would be such a PR disaster, that you'd think it was impossible ... on the other hand Metrolinx.
I think to have zero impact on CN you have to shorten the train to Malton, no?

I think to have zero impact on CN you have to shorten the train to Malton, no?
The CN line east of Bramalea is only 2 tracks. These pass by the most northern platform at Bramalea station (trains on the most northern track can't stop at Bramalea). The tracks on southern two platforms go to Union station.

There's switches east of the station trains to change tracks, but I don't see how service on the most southern track (or heck the two southern tracks) interferes with CN operations.

Isn't that the reason that Metrolinx is only promising all-day service to Bramalea?

Though stopping a train in Malton would be peak Metrolinx fail! So perhaps I shouldn't discount it too fast ...

The CN line east of Bramalea is only 2 tracks. These pass by the most northern platform at Bramalea station (trains on the most northern track can't stop at Bramalea). The tracks on southern two platforms go to Union station.

There's switches east of the station trains to change tracks, but I don't see how service on the most southern track (or heck the two southern tracks) interferes with CN operations.

Isn't that the reason that Metrolinx is only promising all-day service to Bramalea?

Though stopping a train in Malton would be peak Metrolinx fail! So perhaps I shouldn't discount it too fast ...
GO ownership ends east of Bramalea....so I presume every movement into that station needs CN approval.

There is at least one EB train now that starts in Malton so one WB train that ends there should not be shocking.

GO ownership ends east of Bramalea....so I presume every movement into that station needs CN approval.
If further approval is necessary, I'd think it would be very much on the rubber-stamp level, compared to running through to Mount Pleasant.

There is at least one EB train now that starts in Malton so one WB train that ends there should not be shocking.
That 8:33 AM out of Malton is an odd duck ... but it runs only 8 minutes before one from KW that stops at all the same stations. I don't see terminating any of the current runs westbound at Malton (or Bramalea) would have the same kind advantage - and can you imagine the uproar in Brampton if they lose another train?

Which means you are probably right! :)

If further approval is necessary, I'd think it would be very much on the rubber-stamp level, compared to running through to Mount Pleasant.

Either getting trains into Bramalea is not a rubber stamp kinda thing or Metrolinx has been telling pork pies for many years.

Either getting trains into Bramalea is not a rubber stamp kinda thing or Metrolinx has been telling pork pies for many years.
Entirely possible that both are true ... :)

Where have they said this? I thought the current biggest constraint for every 15-minute service to Bramalea was the capacity under the 401.

Bramalea isn’t really an option with the third platform (serving the track unused by CN) out of service for the next little while for construction there.

Long-term, I could see local/express service to Bramalea with hourly off-peak service beyond. Maybe a bit better than that with a third track built through Downtown Brampton, though that would be difficult and expensive.

^ No time to read fully, just glanced through it, but this is the line of discussion that has to happen. Yurek claims to be able to defy the laws of physics, let alone reality in general. Rumour has it that he's hired Munchausen as a consultant.
Munchausen Syndrome (Factitious Disorder) | Cleveland Clinic

The ByPass (either the full Link, or just the CN portion) has to happen. It's not just for GO, it's (legal constitutional term) "For the good of Canada". The Class 1's should be clamouring for it rather than hiding and snivelling. Everyone would benefit for the *investment* and reap the yield many times over.

Great article. There'll be more.

Bramalea isn’t really an option with the third platform (serving the track unused by CN) out of service for the next little while for construction there.
Good point - I've only taken buses in and out of there lately (I wish there were some earlier westbound departures from Union to Bramalea, but the first one doesn't leave Union until about 9 am ... and the last eastbound is about 4 pm!)

The capacity that allows for the hourly midday trains on the Kitchener Line to Mount Pleasant is more than sufficient to allow for hourly evening and/or weekend trains. The CN Halton Sub through Milton isn't entirely double-tracked, nor is the CN York Sub through the Rouge Park area, so it can operate its freights around a stopped GO train at Brampton Station quite easily, especially with the other capacity improvements the province paid for (the widened Credit River bridge, for example).

What might have been stopping that was either CN being difficult (which maybe they aren't anymore) or Metrolinx not wanting to introduce anything that might affect future work in the eastern part of the corridor or be suspended long-term. The ongoing Torbram grade separation, the 401 tunnel, and station work at Bloor and Mount Dennis could be part of that (and where UP Express comes first).
^ A better question would be the discussions that took place with CN post the change when there was a realization in December-January there were concerns, and the turn around time to implement the February 13th train. CN probably had either some degree of flexibility, the crew schedule changes were possible on the Metrolinx side, and going to night/evening weekend service is something CN wasn't able to accommodate at this point. Those are all guesses on my part. Maybe the evening and weekend aspect is also linked to the Minister saying in December 2018 there would be more news in 12-18 months.

Gee I'm shocked people think Metrolinx is unorganized.

Back