News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

since when does it take 3 hours? the schedule still shows a 7:50am arrival, or a 2 hour and 31 minute trip.
That's the GO travel time, assuming that the vehicle is in time. If one lives at the GO Stop and works at Union station perhaps ... but surely 14 minutes on each end to drive to the station, walk to work, etc., isn't unreasonable.

That's the GO travel time, assuming that the vehicle is in time. If one lives at the GO Stop and works at Union station perhaps ... but surely 14 minutes on each end to drive to the station, walk to work, etc., isn't unreasonable.
oh I know - The article mentions that it arrives at 8:35am - which I believe is an error as the trains scheduled arrival time is 7:50.

The train now takes 3:16......let’s be really kind and say the Buffalo to NF, Ontario part takes 14 minutes to give us a travel time of 3:30 to Union.....then 40 minutes on the subway to Vaughan.......4 hours and 10 minutes is a “commute”?
Yeah, I think he is on crack.

Niagara University has a campus in Vaughan. No one in their right mind is commuting from south of the border to get to Vaughan.

GO Transit to re-introduce 4:50 p.m. express to Kitchener line

More service options for customers during afternoon rush.
You asked and we answered.
Metrolinx is re-introducing the popular 4:50 p.m. express trip from Union Station along the Kitchener rail line. Just like before, the trip will run express between Union Station and Bramalea GO Station, and then serve all stops to Kitchener.
We are running a new train to offer this service, giving customers over 1,000 more seats during their afternoon commutes compared to today.
The service begins on Feb. 13.
Metrolinx CEO, Phil Verster, made the announcement today.

I doubt it. I expect that one of the other existing trains will only go as far as Mount Pleasant or Georgetown, so still 5 to Kitchener. That's probably part of the upcoming adjustments hinted at.
Read my post above (Yurek's tweet), it's an additional train.

Read my post above (Yurek's tweet), it's an additional train.
It is an additional train......but as Shon Tron says, I think you will see one of the other trains shortened so that it does not go all the way to Kitchener.

If this was an increase to 6 from 5 in Kitchener, I am reasonably sure the message today would be touting a "further 20% increase in afternoon trains to Kitchener" ;)

^ A better question would be the discussions that took place with CN post the change when there was a realization in December-January there were concerns, and the turn around time to implement the February 13th train. CN probably had either some degree of flexibility, the crew schedule changes were possible on the Metrolinx side, and going to night/evening weekend service is something CN wasn't able to accommodate at this point. Those are all guesses on my part. Maybe the evening and weekend aspect is also linked to the Minister saying in December 2018 there would be more news in 12-18 months.

^ A better question would be the discussions that took place with CN post the change when there was a realization in December-January there were concerns, and the turn around time to implement the February 13th train. CN probably had either some degree of flexibility, the crew schedule changes were possible on the Metrolinx side, and going to night/evening weekend service is something CN wasn't able to accommodate at this point. Those are all guesses on my part. Maybe the evening and weekend aspect is also linked to the Minister saying in December 2018 there would be more news in 12-18 months.

To my recollection Treasury Board has approved sufficient funding for a 25% increase in service this year. (I will stand corrected if needs be)

That's a fair few new train runs launching at some point.

I don't know which services are contemplated for large scale improvement, Barrie and Stouffville have the most new track coming on line this year. I imagine extension of LSW to Hamilton is in there somewhere.

This is hilarious. fastest introduction of a go train ever. why can they do night+weekend service then?

Because a) this change probably doesn't impact the timing of freights and b) this change didn't add positions or require a new crew bid to implement. I'm guessing it may make a crew's day shorter overall, in fact, so the union would be comfortable signing off.

Night+weekend puts new constraints on freight, and it would add new positions to the shift schedule...so requires new hires to have completed training, and the work would have to be put up for bid.

I wonder how the new recruit training pool is coming along.... moving to 15 minute headways on LSE/LSW must have soaked up a lot of new hiring, they must be putting more new hires into training in expectation of more service soon.

- Paul

To my recollection Treasury Board has approved sufficient funding for a 25% increase in service this year. (I will stand corrected if needs be)

That's a fair few new train runs launching at some point.

I don't know which services are contemplated for large scale improvement, Barrie and Stouffville have the most new track coming on line this year. I imagine extension of LSW to Hamilton is in there somewhere.

The capacity that allows for the hourly midday trains on the Kitchener Line to Mount Pleasant is more than sufficient to allow for hourly evening and/or weekend trains. The CN Halton Sub through Milton isn't entirely double-tracked, nor is the CN York Sub through the Rouge Park area, so it can operate its freights around a stopped GO train at Brampton Station quite easily, especially with the other capacity improvements the province paid for (the widened Credit River bridge, for example).

What might have been stopping that was either CN being difficult (which maybe they aren't anymore) or Metrolinx not wanting to introduce anything that might affect future work in the eastern part of the corridor or be suspended long-term. The ongoing Torbram grade separation, the 401 tunnel, and station work at Bloor and Mount Dennis could be part of that (and where UP Express comes first).

Back