News   Jul 16, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 543     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This GO transit video looks like something that was designed for a 5-year old audience.

Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.42.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.42.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-05 at 4.42.53 PM.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,435
It's official. All GO and UPX trains are on restricted speeds this evening.

With a huge swath of the fleet turning double deck I wonder if they will follow-up with a "quiet zone" on the top level.

They could start off with making sure the interior of these new buses is quiet begin with, the current double deckers are fairly loud inside from road and engine noise, compared with the single deck buses.

Hamilton 16 Express going double-decker. That will be something to see.

Need to build that ridership for the all-day 2-way Hamilton GO train service to West Harbour in 2024.

I'm looking forward to seeing these run on the lower ridership portions of routes haha. It's going to look odd seeing a double decker bus roll through uxbridge or Beaverton, if they are used on those routes.

I'm looking forward to seeing these run on the lower ridership portions of routes haha. It's going to look odd seeing a double decker bus roll through uxbridge or Beaverton, if they are used on those routes.

You can already see this in places like Newcastle (a lovely little town).

Double deckers are already sometimes on the Beaverton route: GO puts the double-deckers, especially on weekends, on just about any route that doesn't enter Yorkdale, York Mills, Union Station, or Hamilton GO Centre (which still makes up the majority of the bus needs) - making for some odd spottings.

Last edited:
Hmm, never spotted them on the Beaverton route, and I drive highway 12 relatively often. Newcastle definitely gets them though, you are right.

Anyone know if the new double deckers are in service yet? Last I heard they were supposed to start in May, but I haven't seen anything about them and it's now July. Anyone spotted I eat the Union Station terminal?
Asked a driver on Monday: "Have you driven or seen any of the new double-deckers?" Answer: "They will be coming into service in next two weeks".

I'm still wondering what trick they use to squeeze tall people into them...

Just found this:
New double-decker GO buses to start running on July 25
July 18th, 2016
avtar250X250-96x96-16x16.png
CIEDITOR-BALA 0 comments 108

Metrolinx will introduce new fully accessible, low-floor, low-height double-decker GO buses into service starting July 25.

The introduction of these new buses means that GO Transit will be able to access four major terminals that are not currently served by double-decker buses due to height restrictions — Hamilton, Yorkdale, York Mills and the Union Station Bus Terminal. This will also enable more people to be served by double-decker buses as the new vehicles are entered into service over the next four years.

Metrolinx has ordered a total of 253 buses from Alexander Dennis Ltd., creating up to 30 new full-time jobs in Ontario. The buses are being partially built at a new facility in Vaughan that began operation earlier this year. Local workers are responsible for building the chassis, installing engines, axles and steering components, and conducting inspections.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, said:”The new accessible, low-floor, low-height GO Transit double-decker buses will make it easier for customers with limited mobility to board, and make access to transit faster and more convenient. Our government is building a modern and integrated transit network in the region to seamlessly connect communities and businesses.”

Tracy MacCharles, Minister Responsible for Accessibility, said: “In Ontario, accessible public transit is not just a priority, it is the law. These new double-decker buses will keep people moving and ensure that transportation is integrated and accessible to people of all abilities, now and into the future.”

Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province’s history — about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, the province announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.

• The new fully accessible double-decker buses feature lower floors, and have longer, more gradual entrance ramps, a wider area for individuals with wheeled mobility aids to maneuver, and automated next-stop announcements and display technology.
  • The entire order of 253 buses will be delivered and put into service over the course of the next four years.
  • Approximately 25 per cent of the GO Bus fleet is currently served by double-decker buses, increasing to 75 per cent within four years.
  • The new double-decker buses seat 81 passengers, compared to 55 on GO’s single-level buses. This is consistent with seating capacity on GO’s existing double-decker buses.
  • Since 2003, Ontario has extended GO’s rail network by nearly 90 kilometres, opened 14 new GO stations, rebuilt four existing stations, and added more than 31,000 new parking spots across the system.
  • Research shows that every $100 million of public infrastructure investment in Ontario boosts GDP by $114 million, particularly in construction and manufacturing sectors. – CINEWS

Back