News   Jul 16, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 537     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Downsview Park Go Station

New_SheppardWest_Perspective_Prelim6_NEW.jpg

GO_SheppardWest3_Wide.jpg

New_SheppardWest_Perspective_Prelim5.jpg

MiniPlatform2.jpg

http://portfolio.andreottley.com/

So GO service is going to Niagara using the existing lift bridge over the welland canal ? As what I've read in the past is that has always been the sticking issue for not extending normal daily service.

Not a Presto reader in sight.....or a ticket machine..... I guess Fare Integration will be done by then.

- Paul

I'm sure that's just an omission from the rendering.

And Fare Integration won't mean that you never have to tap your Presto card anywhere--there will still have to be readers to tap on.

So GO service is going to Niagara using the existing lift bridge over the welland canal ? As what I've read in the past is that has always been the sticking issue for not extending normal daily service.
They successfully got a Welland Canal priority guarantee. Boats have to wait for GO trains. Four crossings per day. The bridge will lower, pre-scheduled, essentially before the train departs either St. Catharines or Niagara Falls station, so there will be no waiting.

Midday weekday trains will go only to St. Catharines.

Midday service: "Niagara Express" possible service plan, found ar www.niagarago.ca, is a back-and-fourth train cycling every approx 2.5 hours between Hamilton and St. Catharines.

Subject to change, if they manage reliable complete Lakeshore West extension instead...

I'm sure that's just an omission from the rendering.

And Fare Integration won't mean that you never have to tap your Presto card anywhere--there will still have to be readers to tap on.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Renderings are always overly optimistic about clutter. We won't know how this really looks until they figure out all the power points, etc. Garbage cans? Salt and Sand storage? Signage? Ticket machines? Pop machine?

The one thing I really wonder about is having the accessible platform smack in front of the entrance. Wonder how a heavy passenger flow will cope with all those ramps and railings.

- Paul

I believe so. They are rumoured to have negotiated specific time windows when the train will get priority over the boats; that is the bridge will always be down in that period and normal rules (boats first) applies otherwise.

The downside of this setup is if your train is running 10 minutes late leaving Niagara, it might be 40 minutes late before it gets to Grimsby.

Last edited:
The one thing I really wonder about is having the accessible platform smack in front of the entrance. Wonder how a heavy passenger flow will cope with all those ramps and railings.

Interesting, I actually saw that and thought it was great, and finally they're getting that right. If it were the normal 2 narrow-ish wheelchair ramps I'd agree, but if you look at the render there are fairly wide steps beside the ramps for non-disabled passengers to get across. Also I don't think there'll be such heavy passenger flow here that it'll be a huge problem.

I think it makes a lot of sense, though, to have the ramp right in front of the station; obviously for a person needing the accessibility car this makes a lot more sense than having to move way down along the platform.

Interesting, I actually saw that and thought it was great, and finally they're getting that right. If it were the normal 2 narrow-ish wheelchair ramps I'd agree, but if you look at the render there are fairly wide steps beside the ramps for non-disabled passengers to get across. Also I don't think there'll be such heavy passenger flow here that it'll be a huge problem.

Yeah - the proximity is good - I just wonder if it could have been sloped differently so there were fewer railings in the way.

- Paul

I believe so. They are rumoured to have negotiated specific time windows when the train will get priority over the boats; that is the bridge will always be down in that period and normal rules (boats first) applies otherwise.

The downside of this setup is if your train is running 10 minutes late leaving Niagara, it might be 40 minutes late before it gets to Grimsby.
The canal priority given to four train crossings -- suggests two morning peak trains and two evening peak trains.

I wonder if that means only two guaranteed-bridge-lowerings per day, each train departing 15 mins after each other.

How log does the bridge take to lower/raise?

I think it makes a lot of sense, though, to have the ramp right in front of the station; obviously for a person needing the accessibility car this makes a lot more sense than having to move way down along the platform.
Agree on that assessment......aside from the obvious (and appropriate) benefit of making access better/smoother for those that need it ...having the accessible car stop right at the station building means that the middle car is stopping there....so there will be a lot less "car bias" at that station for people picking where they sit as the distance to the station is split in the middle.

Anyone know if the new double deckers are in service yet? Last I heard they were supposed to start in May, but I haven't seen anything about them and it's now July. Anyone spotted I eat the Union Station terminal?

Anyone know if the new double deckers are in service yet? Last I heard they were supposed to start in May, but I haven't seen anything about them and it's now July. Anyone spotted I eat the Union Station terminal?
They're being built now. Some of the first ones are at the ADL facility in Vaughan.

Back