News   Jul 16, 2024
 228     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 359     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I haven't seen a projected schedule as yet, but I'm expecting that there will be one extended train, and one new train. This will (once again) free up the fourth platform at Georgetown and allow it to be used as a through platform - which is the ultimate goal, once all of the trackwork is completed.

Also, does anyone know what happens to the 17:02 train after it arrives in Mount Pleasant? Does it stay there overnight?

It deadheads back to Union and then on to Willowbrook.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

re. the Kitchener line, I'm not 100% certain but I thought I saw work being done in Acton on the siding. At least, there was a rail vehicle on it (a small yellow one that only runs on rails, not a pickup truck or anything like that). Might've just been stored there but maybe there's work starting to rebuild the passing sidings between Guelph and Georgetown?

There are tons of ties stockpiled, presumably for this summer's tie replacement program. It's encouraging to see this track getting some TLC.

- Paul

re. the Kitchener line, I'm not 100% certain but I thought I saw work being done in Acton on the siding. At least, there was a rail vehicle on it (a small yellow one that only runs on rails, not a pickup truck or anything like that). Might've just been stored there but maybe there's work starting to rebuild the passing sidings between Guelph and Georgetown?

I saw it too, made comments on the construction thread but didn't get any suggestions.

An update of sorts, some of this might have been posted before some not.

- Today there were 20 new cab cars in service, as per the daily consist sheet.
- The new bi-levels the GO is ordering is being built on the same platform as the CEM cab cars.
-The new MP54 locomotives that GO is receiving will use superior AC traction.
- A train length of old cab cars is currently sitting on the west end of Willowbrook yard, soon to be shipped out for refurbishment into regular coaches.
- The ERMF(East Rail Maintenance Facility) is on track to be operational with trains running in & out of the new yard by Jan 2018.
- Lewis Rd layover yard is complete, only needs the mainline tie in(possibly completed by now).
- The new Mimico South (mini)rail yard is ahead of schedule.
- MX/GO looking to acquire/make use of more property near by Willowbrook Yard, possibly using the MGS property part of which is already being used for parking overflow.
- Found out recently that MX/UP now owes tracks inside the VIA TMC building.
- There will be more 6 cars trainsets put into service during the off-peak and limited branch line daytime service by the end of the year(lines not specified).

Last edited:
- Lewis Rd layover yard is complete, only needs the mainline tie in(possibly completed by now).

PNR has completed just about all of the work, but is waiting for permission from CN to cut in the mainline switch and tie in the signals. All of the necessary materials are on site.

- Found out recently that MX/UP now owes tracks inside the VIA TMC building.

Sorta, but not quite. Bombardier had been leasing a couple of tracks inside the maintenance building for their own work. Now it looks like the lease has been transferred to Metrolinx, and it's close to half of the building.

- There will be more 6 cars trainsets put into service during the off-peak and limited branch line daytime service by the end of the year(lines not specified).temp link

4x 6-car trains and 1x 8-car train as of a major schedule revamp in June. 3 of the 6-car trains will be used to provide mid-day service to Mount Pleasant.

This will coincide with some very major changes to rush hour services on the Lakeshore East and West lines.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

An update of sorts, some of this might have been posted before some not.

That's good news, thanks! Any word on the progress of building the short connector track between the east end of West Harbour GO and the CN mainline, in order to allow West Harbour to be used as a thru-station, instead of just a terminus? Would be really nice if the Niagara summer trains were actually able to stop at West Harbour, instead of just going right by it.

4x 6-car trains and 1x 8-car train as of a major schedule revamp in June. 3 of the 6-car trains will be used to provide mid-day service to Mount Pleasant.

This will coincide with some very major changes to rush hour services on the Lakeshore East and West lines.
Other sources said GO is announcing something related to Hamilton in June too.

Putting the two and two together, that could involve an extra GO train or two for Hamilton?
(Hopefully a later-peak)

Also supposed to reveal something interim about Niagara's future as well (the expected seasonal service + expansion of seasonal service or beyond) as the NiagaraGO group indicates something is being announced in this timeframe.

That's good news, thanks! Any word on the progress of building the short connector track between the east end of West Harbour GO and the CN mainline, in order to allow West Harbour to be used as a thru-station, instead of just a terminus? Would be really nice if the Niagara summer trains were actually able to stop at West Harbour, instead of just going right by it.
I understand it's supposed to happen by end of this year. But June? Not looking good; there hasn't been activity relocating the sewers/utilities yet.

I'm certainly hoping at least by Supercrawl 2016 though, as I've written an article about this, as a possible 1-month extension of Niagara Seasonal service later into the season -- it'd allow Hamilton/Niagara to serve Toronto for Nuit Blanche, and allow Toronto/Niagara to serve Hamilton for Supercrawl.

Last edited:
- Today there were 20 new cab cars in service, as per the daily consist sheet.
For the first time, I saw two *consecutive* consists with new cabs pass me in a short time period on my morning commute (mere minutes apart). They're looking more common, at least on LSW.

Any ETA on actual activation? It ties well into June timing, I presume?
With four tracks active, there is a potential for four morning West Harbour trains beginning this year, maybe? Especially if they can activate the below-ground parking level then.

Aside: Hopefully an 8:00am train, too! 6:45am and 7:15am respectively for the last West Harbour/last Downtown Hamilton train is still too early to stop me driving to Aldershot. The first moment an ~8:00am train occurs, will be the time my car can spend a lot more of its time parked at home when I know I'm not working past the last returning train.

And people who miss the 7:15am train, and decide they prefer a regular Aldershot habit, will be encouraged to instead catch the train locally more often too, if there was later train options to save face. Also, a theoretical 7:30am Hamilton train (not currently extant) would still get many people to their desks by 9:00am. Though there are also many that do not start their workday till 9:30am where an 8:00am train is more ideal.

Last edited:
Putting the two and two together, that could involve an extra GO train or two for Hamilton?
(Hopefully a later-peak)

There's nothing listed for Hamilton in the June projected schedule that I've been given. Lewis Rd. may be open by then, but it's not accounted for as yet.

October or December is the date that I've been told for any new trains to Hamilton.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There's nothing listed for Hamilton in the June projected schedule that I've been given. Lewis Rd. may be open by then, but it's not accounted for as yet.
Did the June projected schedule include the Niagara Seasonal service?

Nov/Dec does sounds like a realistic timing for completion of the ongoing Hamilton Junction expansion.

So, I'd guess 2017 season is a shoo-in for adding a Hamilton stop to Niagara Seasonal, given the way things are going.

I assume this is in addition to the 2 existing 6-car trains on the Barrie line? 6-car trains for off-peak on the Kitchener line is good news, hopefully the schedules are adjusted to reflect the faster acceleration.

I assume this is in addition to the 2 existing 6-car trains on the Barrie line? 6-car trains for off-peak on the Kitchener line is good news, hopefully the schedules are adjusted to reflect the faster acceleration.

In addition to the 2 6-car trains on Barrie, the Barrie Summer Weekend Trains (4 per day, Sat+Sun only) should start up at the end of June. In the past couple of years those 4 trains have all been 6 cars. Though I suppose the 2 6-car trains from the weekday service could always be used for weekends too.

In addition to the 2 6-car trains on Barrie, the Barrie Summer Weekend Trains (4 per day, Sat+Sun only) should start up at the end of June. In the past couple of years those 4 trains have all been 6 cars. Though I suppose the 2 6-car trains from the weekday service could always be used for weekends too.

The weekend service is operated by 2 trainsets, doing two round trips each. In the past, they have been the line's two 6-car sets, except on special events days when 10-car sets are used.

Last edited:

Back