News   Jul 19, 2024
 637     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 950     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

That's very true, however, there's now a long straight corridor to the York concourse in Union that has now opened. Also, when the moats gets redone, we can also walk east-west along the moats, too. Also, when the retail level, there'll be additional fast east-west route, between the two concourses. And the TTC will connect directly to this retail level.

Once the moat is opened up that will definitely shift the flow to the outside in the good weather. People don't really use the doors at the current "west end" of the moat area but it's a good shortcut to the VIA concourse. It also has a small remnant of the original 1954 subway station terrazzo floor where the passage from the subway to the railway station came out.

I notice the gaps between opposite-facing seats. Are these accessible to slip various kinds of bags and objects in? That'll certainly help a lot, the stowages look more accessible. Especially for tired standees who want to put down a bag without blocking the aisle.

Also, how's the legroom at the corner seats? We often dread the seat in some of the corners where the ducting is wide and eats up half your legroom and you have no room to stow your bag under the seat... It's worst in the oldest GO coaches, and a bit better in the more recent ones, but how's it like on these new cab coaches?

...About the famous "cramped legroom" ducted corner seats on the top level of all bilevels -- on the other flip side, strategically taking a seat next to an empty seat (with constrained leg room), also tend to maximize your chances nobody wants to sit next to you (until the train is near full). Once the train is full leaving Union and there are no standees, and we've already passed Exhibition, nobody is going to sit there for the rest of the way to Aldershot -- now you're scots-free in using that seat as --ehm-- a parking spot for unread sections of newspaper or a temporary staging area for a few seconds to help you pull out your laptop/tablet out of your overstuffed bag before you re-stow the bag under your seat... :p Then again, it backfires on you when the train becomes cramped, everyone's standing, and all 4 people in your seating quad has bags, and only room under seats for 1 bag due to the ductwork and cramped legroom...

Last edited:
you can do that now ;)
From Oakville or Milton? I suppose it's doable within two hours (transferring GO buses in North York), but not as easily or as conveniently within an hour.

Hurontario LRT will be a big help for west, connecting 3 GO lines with both Mississauga and Brampton downtown, as well as all the way down to Port Credit area. It will finally be possible to go between city hubs in an hour or less, especially for Oakville.

Last edited:
I notice the gaps between opposite-facing seats. Are these accessible to slip various kinds of bags and objects in? That'll certainly help a lot, the stowages look more accessible. Especially for tired standees who want to put down a bag without blocking the aisle.

They certainly look like they could, fully open etc.

From Oakville or Milton? I suppose it's doable within two hours (transferring GO buses in North York), but not as easily or as conveniently within an hour.

Since we were talking about go service (and I presumed go rail service) I took it that his/her trips to Brampton were not from Oaville or Milton......nothing in the new, proposed GO service would change the ability to travel from Milton or Oakville to Brampton. Yes you can travel from Oakville to Brampton (at Bramalea station) by GO bus now but all the RER trains on all the various GO rail lines will not change the travel pattern between Oakville/Milton and Brampton.

Hurontario LRT will be a big help for west, connecting 3 GO lines with both Mississauga and Brampton downtown, as well as all the way down to Port Credit area. It will finally be possible to go between city hubs in an hour or less, especially for Oakville.

With a travel time of 47 minutes between Port Credit and DT Brampton......that Oakville to PC part better be pretty efficient if Oakville to Brampton is going to be done in an hour or less.....but, again, I may have been fooled by context but I certainly took the "i want to travel to Brampton without a car" comment as a trip that started in Toronto and would be possible only once trains started running out to Brampton more regularly and in off peak once RER is launched......I was just pointing out you can do that now without a car...just not on a train.....

...forgive me if, as I said, I was fooled by the context into rebutting a point that was not made.

Since we were talking about go service (and I presumed go rail service) I took it that his/her trips to Brampton were not from Oaville or Milton......nothing in the new, proposed GO service would change the ability to travel from Milton or Oakville to Brampton. Yes you can travel from Oakville to Brampton (at Bramalea station) by GO bus now but all the RER trains on all the various GO rail lines will not change the travel pattern between Oakville/Milton and Brampton.

With a travel time of 47 minutes between Port Credit and DT Brampton......that Oakville to PC part better be pretty efficient if Oakville to Brampton is going to be done in an hour or less.....but, again, I may have been fooled by context but I certainly took the "i want to travel to Brampton without a car" comment as a trip that started in Toronto and would be possible only once trains started running out to Brampton more regularly and in off peak once RER is launched......I was just pointing out you can do that now without a car...just not on a train.....

...forgive me if, as I said, I was fooled by the context into rebutting a point that was not made.

I want to take the train from Toronto. Although sometimes I will come from Oakville and Milton.

Back