News   Jul 19, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.8K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 898     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Hamilton will become its own Hub like Toronto which is the way it should happen, but it will take time and money that not there not now. You can run 4 rail lines out of Hamilton that will meet Hamilton Needs more than Toronto needs.

the Liberals have promised about 1/2 the transit money to be spent outside the GTA. They will consider this and the KW spend part of this promise.

James North will not have 4 rail lines running out of it. Just 1. It doesn't make sense to have a Brantford line terminating here (versus Aldershot).

...I wonder if this is the replacement to giving Hamilton money for a LRT line? (they still are giving Hamilton money but it counts as out of GTAH funding vs inside)

pretty sure the hamilton LRT fund is coming out of the GTHA fund.
That's if the Hamilton LRT gets funded in this cycle of funding. If we miss the cycle, we probably won't see Hamilton's LRT being constructed till the 2020s and in use by the 2030s. That is a long wait for Hamilton!

The Hamilton city council's forced piggybacking of the new bus fleet and new bus maintenance facility money and bus fleet (an additional $302M total) into the LRT funding request (at the protest of Mayor Eisenberger), threatens to derail the Hamilon LRT. If we get funding for both LRT and the bus fleet/maintenance, that's the best of both worlds, Hamilton Mountain gets quid pro quo, and we have more feeder buses for the LRT. But the significantly increased funding request (well over $1 billion for the combined LRT+bus request) may very well be the best gift to Mississauga's Hurontario (you're welcome), if & when Ontario is forced to choose between full funding of Hamilton LRT or full funding of Hurontario LRT.

Tell me it isn't the case, I'd like to see an LRT for both.

Last edited:
The province can always say "nope" to the bus request. If Hamilton turns down $800 million in free cash for the LRT because the province refuses to pay for the buses, that is not a smart city council.

GO Transit rail service to Niagara and Amtrak Niagara Falls,NY Station Relocation...

Interestingly written piece questioning the value of GO expansion to Niagara

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/opin...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Everyone:

I noticed that GO Transit is seeking to extend and expand rail service to Niagara Falls and with the under construction Amtrak Station
relocation project this could lead to interesting travel possibilities for both this GO route and Amtrak's Empire Corridor running
across New York State in the near future...

Amtrak is in the process of relocating the Niagara Falls,NY Amtrak Station from the current location at Hyde Park and Lockport
Roads to a new facility that will be adjacent to the Whirlpool Bridge and use the old US Custom House building for part of this
new Station which could include a improved US CBP port of entry.

Regular GO Transit rail service to Hamilton and Toronto could be scheduled to connect with other Amtrak Empire Corridor trains
that start and end at Niagara Falls adding travel options over and above the single through Maple Leaf round trip that Amtrak and
VIA operate as a partnership.

The issues here would be how ticketed rail passengers would cross the border - either by bus or on foot using the pedestrian walk
across the Whirlpool Bridge - and the other obstacle to increased GO Transit rail service to Niagara is the Welland Canal Bridge.
Negotiations would need to be made on when the bridge will open to accommodate ship traffic so as not to delay trains on this
line when they are in service.

See:

www.niagarafallsreporter.com/Stories/2013/Apr16/newtrain.html (Reporter: Frank Parlato,Jr.)

www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/NFL

www.railwaybulletin.com/2015/03/niagara-falls-gets-new-train-station

In closing adding GO Transit Rail service to Niagara could add convenient connecting Amtrak service to Upstate New York and I
feel that some may well welcome these new service possibilities...provided that the prime issues of crossing the border and
scheduled Welland Canal bridge opening periods can be worked out...

Long Island Mike

Last edited:
GO is once again using in car window covering ads. I find these quite an offensive and gross way to treat riders. I just peeled most of one for Nova Scotia tourism off the window and threw it in the trash. The other passengers seemed amused. It was actually very easy to remove.

GO is once again using in car window covering ads. I find these quite an offensive and gross way to treat riders. I just peeled most of one for Nova Scotia tourism off the window and threw it in the trash. The other passengers seemed amused. It was actually very easy to remove.

Whether you like the ads or not....I think you just committed an act of vandalism.

If I peel a sticker that some one had left on a bus window off, is that vandalism?

Not sure why you are creating a false argument. If I put a sticker on a window and a subsequent passenger in that seat (perhaps you) peels off the unauthoried sticker then no you are not guilty of vandalism.....I might be for putting the sticker there without authorization but you would not be for peeling it off.

If, however, the owner/operator of the train (ML/GO) make a business arrangement with another company and agree to put ads on the trains and it includes window stickers and those stickers are placed with the full consent of the train operator/owner then no act of vandalism has happened by the placing of the sticker on the window. If, then, someone comes along and, whether they like the stickers or not, decides to peel off the stickers without authorization and, in addition, interferes with the completion of a commercial agreement between two consenting parties...then yes an act of vandalism has occurred.

Back