News   Apr 24, 2024
 237     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 620     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is such an important point. Running even single-track DMU passenger service would warrant keeping the corridor as rail.

There isn't really any bus service between Cambridge and Guelph, but that doesn't mean there isn't demand for it. We have a very closed regulatory system for intercity buses, so much of the market is unexplored.

I don't know what the status of it is, but these cities agreed to look at ways to improve transit between them. Anyone got an inside scoop?

I don't know what the status of it is, but these cities agreed to look at ways to improve transit between them. Anyone got an inside scoop?

Haven't heard or seen anything from Region of Waterloo council on this. The only thing that's actively happening is the ION LRT and aBRT from KW to Cambridge.

Over at CPTDB, there's credible talk that the midday trains restored to the Georgetown/Kitchener corridor in September 2015 will not terminate at Bramalea, but at Mount Pleasant.

That makes me so very happy.

Dan is here at UT as well, I'd like to know more.

Beyond what I know and have let slip, so would I. My contacts at GO don't have any schedules available to them yet, nor a frequency of service. Only that is the projected start, and the destination of the service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Over at CPTDB, there's credible talk that the midday trains restored to the Georgetown/Kitchener corridor in September 2015 will not terminate at Bramalea, but at Mount Pleasant.

That makes me so very happy.

Given that the last board meeting they showed that their current plans for the corridor is that Mt. Pleasant would be the dividing point between the express and local service (ie. trains coming from the west would go express to Union and the local all stop service would start there) it is probably predictable that they would do this. If Bramalea re-emerged as the station where a lot of the service terminated you would see more people driving to Bramalea even from the west end of town because of the added flexibility the extra service brings.

For the last week or so, I have been using Mt. Pleasant rather than my closest (DT Brampton) station and it really is amazing the ridership growth out there (hadn't used the station in about a year)......my observational "guestimate" would be that it has now surpassed DT Brampton as the 2nd busiest station on the line.

I will say that I hope what is coming in September 2015 (still think it is absolutely shameful that the increased service is delayed until then) is not just the mid-day trains that were in exstance before. I think a train that is really needed is something between the EB 5:45 pm and 6:50 pm departures. An over one hour gap at that time of night is (IMO) far too long.

Interesting thing I noticed today.....when the train I was on stopped at Bramalea and everyone got on (which takes a while at that station) they then announced that departure would be in 3 minutes......I have not experienced that before and I wonder if it is a function of travel times speeding up along the line as the construction comes closer to completion and having to add some dwell time to keep on the published, padded, schedules.

I think a train that is really needed is something between the EB 5:45 pm and 6:50 pm departures.
You got me excited for a minute there!

You mean WB 5:45 pm and 6:50 pm departures.

I agree, but what I'd really like to see are some eastbound departures in PM rush!

The 2011-2014 GRT business plan has all of this to say on the topic of Guelph:
Begin discussions with Metrolinx, the Province and surrounding municipalities to initiate a feasibility study for interregional transit services between Kitchener/Waterloo and Guelph and between Cambridge and Guelph
I recall Guelph Transit saying something a little more involved, hypothesizing about DMU service, but when it comes down to it, I doubt that any serious discussion has happened between the two.

You got me excited for a minute there!

You mean WB 5:45 pm and 6:50 pm departures.

I agree, but what I'd really like to see are some eastbound departures in PM rush!

Once again your eagle eye catches my geographic deficiencies. I would never disagree with the notion of evening (actually all day and 7 days a week) EB departures....the biggest hole in the current sched is that big gap between 5:45 and 6:50.

For the last week or so, I have been using Mt. Pleasant rather than my closest (DT Brampton) station and it really is amazing the ridership growth out there (hadn't used the station in about a year)......my observational "guestimate" would be that it has now surpassed DT Brampton as the 2nd busiest station on the line.

I wouldn't doubt the accuracy of that. I have occasionally taken the train from Guelph since service was extended, and I took the bus that went through Mt Pleasant before that. It is incredible (understatement) how much growth has occurred in that area. What was once corn fields is now a suburbia, and maybe even a developing urban centre.

These discussions have been higher-level than GRT, I think. There's a "Waterloo-Wellington-Brant inter-regional transportation planning initiative", the status of which I'd love to know.

It sghould be noted that the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (under the Places to Grow Act) has "Improved Inter-regional Transit to 2031" marked between Cambridge and Brantford. Therefore it is a provincial priority (from a policy sense, not necessarily reflected in action).

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 907
I wouldn't doubt the accuracy of that. I have occasionally taken the train from Guelph since service was extended, and I took the bus that went through Mt Pleasant before that. It is incredible (understatement) how much growth has occurred in that area. What was once corn fields is now a suburbia, and maybe even a developing urban centre.

Urban centre may be a stretch.....but the immediate vicinty around the station is a different model of suburbia than most of the rest of Brampton.....that said, the vast majority of the ridership is still coming from the more tradditional version of "Brampton" that is represented by the subdivisions to the south and east of the station (as you can see with the traffic flow of cars out of the station after a train arrival).

The most disturbing planning decision that Brampton has made in the last 2-3 years (IMO) was to oppose a developer's plans to build a 7 or 8 storey apartment building (with retail on the ground floor) about a 500 yard walk north of the station.....seemed to fly in the face of what they are trying to achieve in the area but the residents were out in force on the matter.

Back