News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I guess they have decided on all day 2 way service in 2015 for Kitchener after all as well, according to that.

ToAreaFan, time to celebrate.

This is a politically directed change coming from Murray, without a doubt. GO was happy to continue with progressional upgrades to the network.

I will celebrate when it happens.....notice the careful use of the words "off-peak service in 2015" as opposed to AD2W service ;)

Also, given that they just recently expressed doubt over the 10 year timeline to fully electrify the line it is quite telling (in that read between the lines sorta way) that they are showing it taking 5 years to have electric service in place on the Union Pearson line but, magically, the whole GO network is done in 10.....I bet there was some smirking over that when they put that page together.

On page 11 (emphasis Metrolinx)

Key Considerations
Acceleration of the project will
require commitment and certainty of
capital and operating funding
Customized service plan for each
corridor
Extent of service and/or
electrification on each corridor
Phasing of corridors
Fleet transformation

What I get from this is that internally there might be (read: is) some resistance to providing RER service, and that the "extent" of service provided is based on "funding". However, provided Murray, Wynne, et al put the money behind it, it will happen. If Metrolinx were not given the mandate from on-high, they wouldn't seriously be investigating it. This is an incredibly important first step.

This appears to be intentionally vague. "Kitchener off-peak service" could either mean service on the Kitchener corridor or to Kitchener
Presumably it's only to Brampton (or somewhere like that), as elsewhere they note in detail that they'll be adding 2 additional inbound peak trains from Kitchener and 2 additional outbound peak trains to Kitchener in 2016.

Just heard a report on the radio that when the cabinet is announced tomorrow Mr. Murray will no longer have transportation as part of his portfolio.

But who's twitter account will we get huge transit announcements & promises from?

Katie Franzios is reporting it will be Steven Del Duca who will take over for Transportation (which will be split from Infrastructure....a strange move for a government promising to create two separate multi-billion dollar funds for transportation and infrastructure).

If you want to know how he uses twitter....he is the one that had to apologize for tweeting a picture of Tim Hudak laughing as he walked away from a hospital he had just blown up.

Also, given that they just recently expressed doubt over the 10 year timeline to fully electrify the line it is quite telling (in that read between the lines sorta way) that they are showing it taking 5 years to have electric service in place on the Union Pearson line but, magically, the whole GO network is done in 10.....I bet there was some smirking over that when they put that page together.

Well, to be fair, electrifying UPX involves electrifying the Georgetown South corridor, the USRC, and the Lakeshore West corridor to Mimico, which is a significant part of the network by itself for just a single line. The electrification work done for just that goes a long way to electrifying many of the other lines too.

If you want to know how he uses twitter....he is the one that had to apologize for tweeting a picture of Tim Hudak laughing as he walked away from a hospital he had just blown up.
That photo was genius. Few were aware of it until he apologized. By apologizing, he put Hudak's promises to cut healthcare and close hospitals front and centre.

I'm a little disappointed that the Minister of Transport is going to be from outside Toronto. Though at least Vaughan has already got it's subway ...

I'm very surprised that Murray is being shuffled away from Transportation. Are we sure that's actually going to happen? He's practically synonymous with the government's transit plans....

It does seem very strange for Murray to leave the transportation portfolio behind. I guess we'll wait and see right?

And that Hudak hospital photo was genius. And mostly accurate too :p

I'm very surprised that Murray is being shuffled away from Transportation. Are we sure that's actually going to happen? He's practically synonymous with the government's transit plans....

To Environment minister right? A strengthened greenbelt and bumped up density/infill requirements for municipalities will give the transit long-term purpose. Transportation Minister deals with the specifics of the implementation but the Environment Minister defines what is required.

Depending on your viewpoint, this may be a promotion with regards to transit.

Glen Murray is way too much of a loose cannon - getting him out of transport is probably a no-brainer.

AoD

I don't know... yes he is a loose cannon, but I really like him. He bikes to work, takes transit everywhere, he actually walks the walk. Plus his energy and loose-y-ness is actually a nice touch to the government, it really creates a sense of engagement with the government on transit. And, despite being a downtown Toronto MPP, he's very knowledgeable about the whole damn province and knows what needs to be done essentially everywhere. Municipal politicians practically everywhere, even in such vehemently anti-Liberal places as Pembroke and Kenora, all seem to like him.

Hopefully all the promises he tweeted before the election are still valid..

Like AD2W electrified GO on lakeshore lines within a few years and Kitchener within 5 years (if memory serves).

Well, to be fair, electrifying UPX involves electrifying the Georgetown South corridor, the USRC, and the Lakeshore West corridor to Mimico, which is a significant part of the network by itself for just a single line. The electrification work done for just that goes a long way to electrifying many of the other lines too.

Why to Mimico? For maintenance? I thought they were recommending a new facility by the airport to avoid that.

Back