News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Glad to see that 30 min service on the Lakeshore line is being expanded on weekends. The early morning and late evening switch to 1hr frequencies caught a lot of people off guard. I know one morning going to the Jays game early I was caught and had to rush to the station to the catch the 9:10 train, because I had assumed (wrongly, apparently) that there was a 9:40 train. It was only 30 mins after 10 am.

Really not sure how you guys put up with that and why there weren't riots in the streets ;)

Har har :p. It's just nice from a predictability perspective, to not have to check the schedule or try to remember "when does it switch to/from 30 mins again?".

No I really feel the pain....it is unfair that Lakeshore residents have to do that when the "when is the next train" question is made so much easier for the rest of the GTA (answer on weekend is always "Monday") it borders on cruelty that you had to put that much thought into it...glad its fixed ;)

Glad to see that 30 min service on the Lakeshore line is being expanded on weekends.
Yes ... but it seems very odd to me that there's now an eastbound 11:43 pm train from Union to Pickering on a Sunday night, but not on a Friday night, which still has a 60-minute gap.

With many of the PanAm events scheduled to be in Markham (right near Unionville station), wonder if they will have improved GO Train service to move people from downtown up to Markham via the Stoufville line? Wonder if they install a new passing track between 401 to Agincourt Station and a bit north (they just built a bridge above Sheppard to separate the train line from traffic), will they be able to run trains a bit more frequently - will they have time to make a new passing track or even fit Agincourt station with 2 tracks and 2 platforms in time?

Lakeshore West Passengers: You asked and we listened!

To provide more frequent weekend service, beginning June 28th, there will be two new Saturday eastbound trips from Aldershot GO at 9:34 a.m. and 10:34 p.m., making all stops to Union, arriving at 10:40 a.m. and 11:40 p.m. as well as two new Saturday westbound trips from Union at 10:13 a.m. and 11:13 a.m., making all stops to Aldershot GO, arriving at 11:18 a.m. and 12:18 p.m.

In addition, we are also improving Sunday service by adding six new Sunday eastbound trips from Aldershot GO at 9:34 a.m., 6:34 p.m., 7:34 p.m., 8:34 p.m., 9:34 p.m. and 10:34 p.m., making all stops to Union, arriving at 10:40 a.m., 7:40 p.m., 8:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m., 10:40 p.m. and 11:40 p.m.

Please visit http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#June for information on all the changes to the Lakeshore West line.

Lakeshore West Passengers: You asked and we listened!

To provide more frequent weekend service, beginning June 28th, there will be two new Saturday eastbound trips from Aldershot GO at 9:34 a.m. and 10:34 p.m., making all stops to Union, arriving at 10:40 a.m. and 11:40 p.m. as well as two new Saturday westbound trips from Union at 10:13 a.m. and 11:13 a.m., making all stops to Aldershot GO, arriving at 11:18 a.m. and 12:18 p.m.

In addition, we are also improving Sunday service by adding six new Sunday eastbound trips from Aldershot GO at 9:34 a.m., 6:34 p.m., 7:34 p.m., 8:34 p.m., 9:34 p.m. and 10:34 p.m., making all stops to Union, arriving at 10:40 a.m., 7:40 p.m., 8:40 p.m., 9:40 p.m., 10:40 p.m. and 11:40 p.m.

Please visit http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#June for information on all the changes to the Lakeshore West line.

Has GO Transit issued and new passanger count numbers for the Lakeshore lines? Would be interesting to see where the growth is occuring (rush, mid-day, evening, weekends). Ideally last May to this May type comparison.

Of course it will take 2-3 years to see the full impact of 30 minute trains. But it is good to see that there is enough demand for added increases on the weekends (at least I hope it is due to demand). Comparing to 10 years ago when there was virtually no demand on the weekend it definitely shows how the GTA is moving towards transit.

The full list of changes is here. Similar improvements are on Lakeshore East as well.

http://gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#June

Almost nothing for every corridor except for Lakeshore and Barrie. Just extra padding to the schedules of some of the train-buses due to traffic on the Gardiner.

Yes the padding......may save them the bother of sending the multiple texts every day saying "route 31 is running 30 - 45 minutes behind schedule". and the one a few minutes later saying "upwards of an hour"

The Gardiner delays for Milton buses recently have been annoying. Now I just use 103 Hurontario Express to Port Credit and take the Lakeshore trains instead. Plus, being stuck on the Gardiner I noticed how uncomfortable the buses are. I am Asian and even I can barely fit into those seats, hardly any room for my legs; I can't imagine who those buses were made for.

From Page 6:

15 minute two-way electrified service within the GTHA
urban area

A shift in the operating model of GO Transit to faster
and more frequent trains

Lakeshore and some other corridors could run a mix of
non-stop express and local train service, others would
be all-stop service
All day service at lower frequencies outside current
core services

I'm incredibly pleased to see this shift in GO's priorities. For a conversation I had with Bruce McQuaig (Metrolinx President) at the GO Kitchener inaugural run in 2011, this wasn't even a priority.

The Gardiner delays for Milton buses recently have been annoying. Now I just use 103 Hurontario Express to Port Credit and take the Lakeshore trains instead. Plus, being stuck on the Gardiner I noticed how uncomfortable the buses are. I am Asian and even I can barely fit into those seats, hardly any room for my legs; I can't imagine who those buses were made for.

I'm 6' 1", and can only fit comfortably in the seats with extra leg room. The TTC subway and streetcars are even worse, there are some seats I can't sit on even if I want to.

I guess they have decided on all day 2 way service in 2015 for Kitchener after all as well, according to that.

ToAreaFan, time to celebrate.

This is a politically directed change coming from Murray, without a doubt. GO was happy to continue with progressional upgrades to the network.

I guess they have decided on all day 2 way service in 2015 for Kitchener after all as well, according to that.

ToAreaFan, time to celebrate.

This is a politically directed change coming from Murray, without a doubt. GO was happy to continue with progressional upgrades to the network.

This appears to be intentionally vague. "Kitchener off-peak service" could either mean service on the Kitchener corridor or to Kitchener

Back