News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I use the Stouffville line every day, and there is absolutely space for it's entire length for 2 tracks, even when it runs parallel to the RT. the current rails run right down the middle of the ROW, so they would require reconstruction. The exception is through the underpass under 14th ave, where it is double tracked already.

My train had 559 & 560 on it and a rough ride with squealing brakes. Pass 561? & 563? at Oakville. Coming home a smoother and faster ride with the 12 car MP. Pass another set of FP power and forgot the numbers, making 6 FP's on the line today and the most since the MP's replace them.

Last couple of weeks there have been a lot more of the double unit consists out there. There used to be only one at most, now there are 3 or 4 floating around there. Sure they accelerate faster and reach a higher top speed in between most stations. But they brake like crap since you have what I call the 'anchor' slamming into you from the back when you apply the brakes from the head end. And even worst when leaving a station the power on the leading unit will fluctuate for seemingly no reason causing the slack to slam in from the rear thanks to more traction being applied from the trailing unit. Oh and I just love stopping the train at the imaginary spotting marker, there's no spotting marker for trains heading west with an engine there. But if we miss its a big issue, how unfair is that? Anyways, it seems strange to me since they have 57 new units and yet there are only 45 being used right now. So where are the other 12? A couple might be out of service due to mechanical issues. As for these rest, my only guess would be that they've begun the main engine replacement program (11 were slated to be upgraded to the Cummins QSK95, subsequently change in favor of two Cummins QSK60). Yes, less than 6 years after receiving the first batch, they are replacing the engines. Though to be fair they will be far more powerful(5400bhp vs 4000bhp) and up to tier 4 standards. There's also the possibility that a few are over at VIA's TMC getting the new paint job at their paint shop(Willowbrook does not have one). Still, its a pain in the arse, literally, for both the operators and passengers to run with the 500's, hopefully GO realizes that and will do everything in their power to alleviate the situation.

At least, if not wider in places.

Remember folks, the ROW extends further (in some cases, much further) than where the tracks lie.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Given the plan is to twin the track to Unionville, I don't see much of an issue there. If GO ever needs to twin farther up the line (Mount Joy is becoming as busy as Unionville due to population growth), then there may be significant opposition in old Unionville and Markham Village, but I agree that the issue isn't the ROW width. Also, with 20-minute service, I would imagine that there will need to be many more grade separations when the line crosses major streets (Highway 7, anyone?), and some of these will be tricky (and very expensive).

Given the plan is to twin the track to Unionville, I don't see much of an issue there. If GO ever needs to twin farther up the line (Mount Joy is becoming as busy as Unionville due to population growth), then there may be significant opposition in old Unionville and Markham Village, but I agree that the issue isn't the ROW width. Also, with 20-minute service, I would imagine that there will need to be many more grade separations when the line crosses major streets (Highway 7, anyone?), and some of these will be tricky (and very expensive).

I would think that if the trade-off was near subway-like frequency, that a lot of Markham residents would be willing to accept the twinning of the line.

North of unionville would likely require an extensive closure to allow for the construction of an elevated berm through Markham village, there are too many crossings too close together.

North of unionville would likely require an extensive closure to allow for the construction of an elevated berm through Markham village, there are too many crossings too close together.

I suppose it could be done in 2 phases then:

1) Double track and electrify from the Lakeshore corridor to Unionville. Would involve some service disruptions, but they're managing with the Georgetown corridor, which is far more busy.

2) Shut down the line north of Unionville and run train buses from the various GO stops into Unionville while they build the berm. It would be inconvenient, but I would imagine with a total shutdown of the line they could get it done a lot quicker. Plus, with electrified trains coming into Unionville, it would still be a substantial service boost compared to what it is now.

The berm idea seems like the only thing that would really work. I guess the platforms would all have to be elevated as well?

There are already trains that start at Unionville, but to make all of them start there might require dozens of buses. Doable, but a major disruption. Oh well, this probably won't happen for decades anyway.

Only Markham would have to be raised, it is a limited platform anyways. (Only 6 cars open) that could change with the berm though.

The berm idea seems like the only thing that would really work. I guess the platforms would all have to be elevated as well?

There are already trains that start at Unionville, but to make all of them start there might require dozens of buses. Doable, but a major disruption. Oh well, this probably won't happen for decades anyway.

There are many sections of the Berlin S-Bahn that are on raised berms, particularly through the outlying suburban towns. The platforms were located on the same berm. In this particular case, the station was right overtop of the main street, with the one entrance cut into the side of the berm with stairs up to platform level. Just using this as an illustrative example of what it could look like in the old downtown Markham area.

DSC03113.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

As for disruptions, yes there would be, but I would venture to say that for a lot of people train bus every 15 mins + Brampton-Markham GO REX every 15 mins is a pretty good trade-off vs the current setup.

Attachments

• DSC03113.jpg
    DSC03113.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC03114.jpg
    DSC03114.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC03115.jpg
    DSC03115.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 366
What all of you are assuming is that there actually is or will be a need for bi-directional service for the entirety of the line. When in truth the town of Stouffville is little more than a bedroom community of Toronto. Any mid-day travel to there can be easily accommodated for by buses for a long time. Mount Joy meanwhile was built primarily as a relief station for Markham due to a lack of parking at that stop. They are also only 1.2 miles apart, the two closest stations in the entire GO system. Yes Markham doesn't have much parking, but surely we don't want to encourage people to drive to the stations when other forms of transport are available(bus, bike, walk). Besides by mid day most parking lots along the line are already at full capacity. So that leaves us with full day service to Markham. Travel times between Unionville & Markham by train is 10-11 minutes. The double track section that is in place(yes its currently designated as the 2nd track and not just a siding) begins just south of Unionville and because the bridge over Enterprise Blvd was built to be wide enough for two tracks you could easily extended the double tracked section to just south of Highway 7. Past this point you wouldn't need more than a single track, even for half hour service to Markham. To get to Markham, while making an additional stop both ways at Centennial of course, it would take 9 minutes. The train can then be turned around at Markham in 8-10 minutes(could be done in a little as 5-6 minutes if they ever decided to make a little modification to the equipment) and then another 9 minutes to get back. Total time; 26-28 minutes. Enough for half hr service, which would see the trains meet at Unionville. To increase reliability you'd probably want to grade separate Highway 7, Kennedy Rd and McCowen with your typical underpass. Only Highway 7 would have some difficult access issues. Eureka st. would be closed as really there is absolutely no need for this tiny crossing. Sinder Dr, while quite busy for a small street would also be closed as its a dangerous crossing for trains coming around a tight curve. Many times I've seen cars going around the gates in front of us. Lucky for them these's a 25MPH speed restriction in place there, giving them enough time to scoot away. Springdale st. could easily be extended to Raymerville Dr. to re-access the community after Sinders rd removal(level crossing) and indeed it looks like it once was connected with nothing more than an empty lot keeping them apart. Main st. Unionville would be kept as a level crossing since as its crossing exposure index(number of vehicles using the crossing multiplied by the total number of trains per day) even with half hour service on the line would likely be below the standard when a grade a separation would be considered(200,000). Still even if it was slightly above this amount, that by no means mandates a grade separation. Strachan Ave. for instance had an exposure index of 686,000 - way back in 2000. And this was only the 9th highest rating of all level crossings in the city of Toronto at the time. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-16917.pdf (pg 3)

Other than that, the current double track section which extends for little more than a mile, would have to be extended by around 10 miles to at least to a point close to where the line connects to the Kingston sub at Scarborough GO station. They would probably want to consider grade separations for at least Steeles, Finch & Danforth. The narrowest part of the right of way I've seen is a little over 40 feet from a building east of the track to the SRT fence on the west. Still, two tracks can easily fit withing 30 feet so there are no issues.

Of course this line won't suddenly just get half hour service(not for probably a decade). For hourly service they don't have to make any improves north of Unionville to accommodate it, even to Mount Joy. There's more than enough time for trains to get in there, turn around and get back.

Then only flaw with this is that during rush hour reverse commute trains would have to turn around at Unionville instead of Markham. Unless they built a short 2nd track/passing track at Markham where those trains can wait.

Great analysis, but my only qualm is that while Mount Joy may have been initially developed as a relief station for Markham, it serves the growing community north of 16th (including all the high rises going up near the station) as well as Cornell, much of which is technically closer to Markham but the road network (Bur Oak) has really dictated that Mount Joy become its primary station. Also, Main Street near Markham GO is currently being redone and more parking "bump outs" are being added, making it even more of a two-lane road. The City of Markham certainly seems to be banking on Mount Joy being its major GO station north of Unionville.

Good analysis. I would stop electrified service at Mount Joy though, and have rush-hour only trains running the whole line (from Lincolnville down), and O-Train style shuttle trains (or current GO trains with fewer coaches) from Mount Joy to Lincolnville at other times. Same would go for the west end of the line by the way, where the electrified service would end at Mount Pleasant.

There is no way there will ever be all day demand to stouffville, even for smaller shuttles, unless it can somehow continue it's 101% growth rate for another decade or two.

I do see demand for at least partial rush hour service to Uxbridge though.

Last edited:
I noticed that on weekends there are a lot of GO movements both ways along the Barrie line near the Junction, even though there's no service. Where are these trains going?

Probably off topic but here's a question I'd like to get an answer to since Google is really unhelpful: How do GO crews know where they're going? The signalling system only sets speed requirements. It doesn't tell you the track you're going to when heading through turnouts. How's a driver supposed to know they're on the right track after a bunch of switches?

Back