News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Ironically enough, yes... see PM. Also they've always had the opinion to call people on their day off, which they do, very often these days I might add, my phone literally won't stop ringing. But while this method has been successful in filling 'holes' and running extra trains in the past, obviously it offers no guarantee.

Thx

Maybe they are allowing extra time due to a heatwave we may have that weekend like today slow orders?? Maybe work being schedule that weekend in the corridor? 10 minute not going to kill you.

Maybe GO was able to do some arm twisting to get the extra crews for those runs?

I think you will have more people using the other lines for this event than the Indy, considering how many empty seats were in the stand that weekend. You will get a hell a lot more people that weekend, especially on parade day than all 3 days for the Indy. It wouldn't be a close race at all.

There a lot going on behind the scene that vegeta_skyline cannot talk about here.

Ironically enough, yes... see PM. Also they've always had the opinion to call people on their day off, which they do, very often these days I might add, my phone literally won't stop ringing. But while this method has been successful in filling 'holes' and running extra trains in the past, obviously it offers no guarantee.
Send me the PM vegeta. Oh and tell Bombardier/GO you're sick eh? ;)

Thats happening anyways, and the DRL is needed for other things as well.

Exactly. The TTC has a history of figuring out ways to defer a DRL - another Bloor-Yonge reconstruction project, claimed capacity improvements with the new TR trainsets and coming signal improvements. Sure Bloor-Yonge could use improvements, but could you imagine a multi-year reconstruction of that without being able to divert many passengers from it? It'd be worse than Union Station right now.

I'm glad to see the TTC push for the electrification and upgrades to Lakeshore and Georgetown, as that will help some of their other challenges. With the TTC pushing this, once can be hopeful about such things as fare integration and better connections. But as long as this isn't just seen as a replacement or a deferral strategy for the DRL.

A Park Lawn Station would be very viable with electrification and provide an excellent alternative to the 501 streetcar; upgrades to Lakeshore East and West would divert some riders from the Bloor-Danforth subway, electrification of Georgetown with a stop at Parkdale would also take passengers off the overburdened inner sections of the 501 and 504 cars. Lakeshore East would get some passengers off the Danforth subway, making room for others, though Stintz and Byford should also include Stouffville.

Last edited:
Exactly. The TTC has a history of figuring out ways to defer a DRL - another Bloor-Yonge reconstruction project, claimed capacity improvements with the new TR trainsets and coming signal improvements. Sure Bloor-Yonge could use improvements, but could you imagine a multi-year reconstruction of that without being able to divert many passengers from it? It'd be worse than Union Station right now.

I'm glad to see the TTC push for the electrification and upgrades to Lakeshore and Georgetown, as that will help some of their other challenges. With the TTC pushing this, once can be hopeful about such things as fare integration and better connections. But as long as this isn't just seen as a replacement or a deferral strategy for the DRL.

A Park Lawn Station would be very viable with electrification and provide an excellent alternative to the 501 streetcar; upgrades to Lakeshore East and West would divert some riders from the Bloor-Danforth subway, electrification of Georgetown with a stop at Parkdale would also take passengers off the overburdened inner sections of the 501 and 504 cars. Lakeshore East would get some passengers off the Danforth subway, making room for others, though Stintz and Byford should also include Stouffville.

Electrification of the KW line with stops at Liberty Village/Parkdale and building the stop at Eglinton/Black Creek Drive would be a very effective NW relief line.

Hopefully the TTC considers this electrification as an "and" project to the DRL and not an "or" project. But like you mentioned, that may not be the case.

And I don't think I need to repeat my stance on how much electrification is needed, haha.

I don't think there's any way they'll conclude that the section between Danforth and downtown can be put on the railway lines. There's too much traffic and not enough space. To the west is a different story.

Electrification of the KW line with stops at Liberty Village/Parkdale and building the stop at Eglinton/Black Creek Drive would be a very effective NW relief line.

Not for Union Station it wouldn't. Metrolinx is trying to divert people away from Union, not attract more people there. They want the TTC to build a DRL West to people get downtown using a new piece of infrastructure rather than the crowded railway lines. See the Union Station 2031 Demands and Opportunities Study (PDF).

Not for Union Station it wouldn't. Metrolinx is trying to divert people away from Union, not attract more people there. They want the TTC to build a DRL West to people get downtown using a new piece of infrastructure rather than the crowded railway lines. See the Union Station 2031 Demands and Opportunities Study (PDF).

Indeed. A relief line that dumps people at Union is as bad as a relief line that runs through Bloor/Yonge.

That is going to add an extra 15+ minutes to the current riders travel time each way as well an extra fare for the Barrie/Bolton/KW lines and maybe the Milton Line. Poor thinking on Metrolinx part.

Having TTC using the east end lines will require a lot more station with service every 10 minutes, but will do nothing for the Yonge line. You still need the DRL up to Sheppard, preferable Hwy 7. Anything less than that, its a waste of money as well requiring $1+B to do Bloor. Even if you do Bloor, its a dead issue getting riders south of it since there no room to put riders from the BD come 2031, let alone 2050.

I got my first 30 minute train today since my bus just arrived ahead of schedule to catch it. Ridership was less than norm and expected, since it summer and just starting.

My train had 559 & 560 on it and a rough ride with squealing brakes. Pass 561? & 563? at Oakville. Coming home a smoother and faster ride with the 12 car MP. Pass another set of FP power and forgot the numbers, making 6 FP's on the line today and the most since the MP's replace them.

I think that study was just to get the TTC seriously looking at the DRL.

Of course, there's no reason why GO can't do something like this:

GO REX Union Diversion.jpg

Divert the "short turn" routes in my GO REX plan into a tunnel under Queen, along with a Queen LRT in a double-stacked tunnel, while the longer GO REX and all-day GO routes continue to use Union. That way, no GO passenger is forced to use Queen, as every station on the short turn route also has the longer routes running through them as well.

It relieves Union, and it provides downtown-bound passengers with an alternative route into northern downtown. If you're standing on the platform at Long Branch, you'd have the option of Lakeshore GO REX via Union, Lakeshore Toronto GO REX via Queen, or Lakeshore-Queen LRT.

Attachments

• GO REX Union Diversion.jpg
    GO REX Union Diversion.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
This is the GO Service thread! Surely discussing things that might, but probably won't happen in the next decade go in the DRL thread, the GO Construction thread, the fantasy map thread, the GO electrification thread, or perhaps a new thread.

Back