News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Replace QEW with 401 and that was my experience riding to Whitby GO Station today. Worst bike ride ever and I was completely unfamiliar with the area.

If you go via Brock (Highway 12), I can imagine it being a nightmare. Whitby Station at least has a second entrance/exit at Henry Street, a much quieter two-lane road that also crosses the 401 and heads towards downtown. Seems relatively safe for a confident cyclist, though it isn't much good if you're heading towards Consumers Drive. As for Oshawa, your only real option is be one of the first two cyclists to get to the 90 bus towards Downtown Oshawa/Newcastle.

Between Ajax and Whitby along Bayly/Victoria is a part of the Waterfront Trail where there are no cycling facilities; even walkers/hikers have nothing other than a gravel shoulder next to a busy two-lane road. (Another gap is around Frenchmen's Bay in Pickering, but there is a sidewalk, but riding a bike on Bayly is practically asking to be hit; this is one of the only times since childhood I used a sidewalk to ride.) I don't mind long-distance bike trails requiring on-street sections if they're quiet residental streets or if they have bike lanes.

Last edited:
If you go via Brock (Highway 12), I can imagine it being a nightmare. Whitby Station at least has a second entrance/exit at Henry Street, a much quieter two-lane road that also crosses the 401 and heads towards downtown. Seems relatively safe for a confident cyclist, though it isn't much good if you're heading towards Consumers Drive. As for Oshawa, your only real option is be one of the first two cyclists to get to the 90 bus towards Downtown Oshawa/Newcastle.
Yeah, I was coming from Consumers/Hopkins and had less than 10 minutes to catch my train, so Henry Street wasn't really an option. Luckily I'll never have to do that again...I only went there to buy a new bike at Royal Distributing.

I also found it ridiculous that pedestrians can't cross on the south side at Brock/Consumers. The areas around GO stations definitely need to be more pedestrian/bike friendly.

A bit late, but nonetheless...

I think the uncertainty that's tied to Brampton getting off-peak hourly service is tied more to staffing levels than track or train availability. I can understand that it's hard for them to forecast how many crews they're actually going to have 5-10 years from now.

Its not hard at all actually. The reason why we're in a bit of a bind crew wise is because the government didn't want to pony up the money. Only recently did stop being, quite frankly 'cheap', since we're now finally on our way to literally doubling the work force within a year or two from last years numbers at the current hiring pace.

This is not the first time crew shortage has insinuated its way into the Brampton discussion.....just wondering....how many extra crews are now needed on Lakeshore for the 263 extra train trips per week.

I am not as intuitively up on train operation as you might be...sorry. Can you explain that means in reference to my question? How many additional crews are needed for the 263 train trips being added to Lakeshore?

Not as many as you might think, since most of the 'new' runs are actually split shifts being transformed into 'long hauls' essentially increasing the amount of work a single crew can do in the same pay period by about 50%. Accomplished by not having to prep a train twice a day, mornings & evenings (30mins each time). Not having to deadhead to Union (30 more)and instead of holding at Union prior to a run it'll be load n'go (another 30). Longer hours will probably also be implemented initially even though B's been trying to cut back ot hours like the plague recently.

We may not be able to predict how many staff they need in 5- 10 years but we can, surely, figure out how many we have now, and how many extra are being allocated to Lakeshore as of June and ask the question that if there are "X" number of additional crews around, why is it so much more imperative to offer 30 minute service on one/two lines with those crew and not any off peak service on the other lines (and, before it is pointed out, I know that the "now" discussion does not include KW but there are other vastly underserved lines that could use more trains).

It's a matter of revenue. They simply have forecasted that spending 7.7 million a year(their estimate) on increasing capacity on a well established line will bring in more money then spending the same amount of money on any other line. GO does not make decisions based on favoritism. They're made base on one of two things; either financial benefit base on ridership projections, (but that's not to say that they couldn't flawed) or their simply political. The province is trying to run GO like a private company would(cutting the operating ratio as much as possible) and this is not a political decisions(otherwise we would of had it 5 years ago).

I'd agree that's not fair at all and its up for debate whether or not that's the way a government should operate a public service, but its certainly based on something more than tangible than favoritism. Brampton may have a large population catchment but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more fares per train. I've operated many of the late outpost train runs and it seems to me that the late mid day and evening-night Lakeshore trains are busier. If those fringe rush hour trains cant get many rider I cant see the mid day or late night runs on outpost lines doing too well, at least initially. Which doesn't mean that I think they shouldn't get more service, quite the opposite in fact because I'm sure over time they would do quite well. It just means that I understand why they are going with this expansion first.

"service will be added" is not all day service.

we already know what the added service in 2015 is on KW line and it is (broken record time here) 5 more return trips, weekdays only, than what existed prior to the construction and expenditure of $1.2B

This may be what has been publicly stated but it would be very easy for them to add another long haul or two on that line at that time. I have no doubt they will do so if the demand is there for it once all the construction on the line is finished.

Drum gave the formula for crews....if he is right (usually the case) and my math is good (not as certain on that) the number of crews is 23!.

I suppose I should get into a more detailed analyses of this.
His was a good estimate but not exact. A better way to calculate it than using hours is by how many trips a crew does during a shift. One common shift is a 10:20(or 10:40 for equipment trains heading back to the shop at the end of the night)hr long hauls which does 3.5 trips per day. Another less frequent option is a 8:40hr job which does 3 trips. So depending on how much ot they want to pay(preferable for them none at all) one crew can do between 24 to 35 trips per week. They seem to like the five 10 hr shifts one week four 10hr the next rotation so they'll probably go for that. Which makes for 16 trips(3.5 x4.5) per week per crew on average. And we know exactly how many new trips the service is adding, 263. Which means they need about 19 crews, including spare coverage.

However, as I mentioned previously, that number would be reduced by the increased utilization of crews on long hauls as opposed to split shifts which currently comprise more than 75% of all assignments. Most split shifts only do the equivalent of 2(10 per week) Oshawa-Aldershot trips on average. It all depends on how many they want to and can convert. If they convert say 10 split assignments into long hauls that means the same crews will do 60 more trips a week. Then they would only need 14 or 15 new crews for the service.

Basically.There's no way the have all the crews now, it takes 2 years at the least to train these people. These guys are going to be working longer and harder, I feel sorry for vegeta.

It'll be close, real close but they'll be able to do it imo.
If they go for 10hr 5 day a week every week for the new jobs as well as add hours to current jobs, the could drop the number of new jobs to maybe 10 to 12. I'd say we have about 10 extra eng right now(though the spare board would be stretched thin then so probably on 8) plus 3-4 in training who should be ready by then as well as few others off right now but I have no idea whether they'll be back or not by then.
And lol thanks. But its ok, I actually like the ot as I always take it when I can get it ;)

When you ask them when that line (to any point in the line) will get all day service the answer is quite clear in its vagueness....there are no plans, maybe some day...be patient.....and that is the corridor that they themselves describe as the second highest density in the region....with large population centres and some pretty significant ridership drivers along the way....so (given a bit of time with a decent schedule) there is no reason to expect/assume that ridership and cost recovery would not be very significant.

But your forgetting, vagueness is GO's forte. Take the half hour Lakeshore service, even though its been rumored for years and I was aware of it months ago;
Word is... Niagara service to return in May with an additional train. Barrie weekend service will be back and 1/2 hour Lakeshore service is to begin in June
they only made the official announcement a little over two months before its actual implementation.
I can understand your frustration but to expect them to make official announcements about future service years in advance is just setting your self up for disappointment.

FWIW a couple of weeks ago all my Lakeshore trips had a new trainee "customer service ambassador" on them working with the regular one. So looked to me like they're training a bunch of new people.

Lets just put it this way. The first CSA had to wait 3 to 4 years before they started advancing them to become conductors. Today the average wait is 6-8 months. Almost every CSA who hired on originally is now a conductor(except for those who chose to say as a CSA). I literally don't recognize about a third of the workforce.

That batch of "customer service ambassador" are less than 2 years away for trying out for the engineer seat. That rule needs to be change.

Yes it does, but unfortunately its not something GO has control over.

For example, how many people live or work within walking distance of Oshawa GO Station?

As surprising as it may be and despite its isolated location, when eyeballing how many people get off at stops in the past Ive find that Oshawa is consistently one of the busier if not the busiest station Lakeshore East station in the evening. Might be because of connections though.

A bit late, but nonetheless...

No need to apologize.....appreciate the insights.

It's a matter of revenue. They simply have forecasted that spending 7.7 million a year(their estimate) on increasing capacity on a well established line will bring in more money then spending the same amount of money on any other line.

According to one report I read (in the Star I think) this estimated cost is based on an expectation that the total ridership on the Lakeshore Line will double as a result of this increase in service.....even though the same article claims current off peak trains average 350 passengers. The economic analysis seems flawed.

I would actually be happy if GO could show me credible economic analysis that shows you can pick up more revenue by doubling the amount of off peak service on a line where service already exists than you can by introducing service to more populated places where no service currently exists.

GO does not make decisions based on favoritism.

Not sure I ever said they did......it is easy to get that perception, however, when the announcement of this increase in service to one group of GO Customers/taxpayers includes these words:

This is the final step in turning GO from a bedroom commuter service into full, regular transit,

Some who don't benefit from this final step would hope they can find the will to take a few more!

They're made base on one of two things; either financial benefit base on ridership projections, (but that's not to say that they couldn't flawed) or their simply political. The province is trying to run GO like a private company would(cutting the operating ratio as much as possible) and this is not a political decisions(otherwise we would of had it 5 years ago).

I'd agree that's not fair at all and its up for debate whether or not that's the way a government should operate a public service, but its certainly based on something more than tangible than favoritism. Brampton may have a large population catchment but that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more fares per train. I've operated many of the late outpost train runs and it seems to me that the late mid day and evening-night Lakeshore trains are busier. If those fringe rush hour trains cant get many rider I cant see the mid day or late night runs on outpost lines doing too well, at least initially. Which doesn't mean that I think they shouldn't get more service, quite the opposite in fact because I'm sure over time they would do quite well. It just means that I understand why they are going with this expansion first.

I would love someone to show me the projections/assumptions behind the belief that the KW line (yes including Brampton) would not produce the ridership. To use the comparison I have before (because they are roughly the same distance by travel time from Union), why would 600k people (by 2015 construction completion) in Brampton not ride GO in great numbers but 200k in Oakville will/do? We have all seen the table showing how Lakeshore West had 3X the ridership in 2010 as the KW line.......how much of that is inherent demand and how much of that is just a result of running a lot more 12 car trains than the number of 10 car trains on the KW line? Take a tip from the airline industry and publish the percentage of available seats that are full.....it might tell a different story.

Why is it possible to suggest/believe that by doubling the abysmal hourly off peak service on the Lakeshore will double the daily ridership while at the same time say the lower ridership on the KW line based on the current service levels indicate some inherent cap or limit on the potential ridership for the line?

This may be what has been publicly stated but it would be very easy for them to add another long haul or two on that line at that time. I have no doubt they will do so if the demand is there for it once all the construction on the line is finished.

But your forgetting, vagueness is GO's forte. Take the half hour Lakeshore service, even though its been rumored for years and I was aware of it months ago;

they only made the official announcement a little over two months before its actual implementation.
I can understand your frustration but to expect them to make official announcements about future service years in advance is just setting your self up for disappointment.

I think you have got the source of my disappointment/frustration 100% wrong. It is precisely because they have made official pronouncements about post GTS service levels years in advance and I don't like the pronounced levels. They first told us (IIRC) in 2010/2011.....have confirmed it at every opportunity....and will confirm it today to anyone who asks. On opening day 2015 there will be exactly 5 more return trips than there was prior to the start of the massive spending/construction. They do not seem too reluctant to talk about future service levels to me ;)

In a way the announcement is kinda true though. The Milton line has half-hourly service for a good portion of the day to most stations. So in some convoluted way it's bringing Lakeshore up to that standard. Of course every other line gets this service with buses rather than the trains...

Between Ajax and Whitby along Bayly/Victoria is a part of the Waterfront Trail where there are no cycling facilities; even walkers/hikers have nothing other than a gravel shoulder next to a busy two-lane road. (Another gap is around Frenchmen's Bay in Pickering, but there is a sidewalk, but riding a bike on Bayly is practically asking to be hit; this is one of the only times since childhood I used a sidewalk to ride.) I don't mind long-distance bike trails requiring on-street sections if they're quiet residental streets or if they have bike lanes.

Side note: widening of Bayly between Shoal Point in Ajax and Seaboard Gate in Whitby is beginning, and this project will include a separated bike trail on the side. The whole thing should be done in a few years.

According to one report I read (in the Star I think) this estimated cost is based on an expectation that the total ridership on the Lakeshore Line will double as a result of this increase in service.....even though the same article claims current off peak trains average 350 passengers. The economic analysis seems flawed.

I would actually be happy if GO could show me credible economic analysis that shows you can pick up more revenue by doubling the amount of off peak service on a line where service already exists than you can by introducing service to more populated places where no service currently exists.

Why is it possible to suggest/believe that by doubling the abysmal hourly off peak service on the Lakeshore will double the daily ridership while at the same time say the lower ridership on the KW line based on the current service levels indicate some inherent cap or limit on the potential ridership for the line?

If that's indeed the basis of the argument it does seem somewhat flawed.
As for introducing service to more populated places I'm sure your well aware of the current limitations of the other lines; Milton - CP, Kitchener - construction, Barrie, Richmond Hill & Stovffville - single track and save for Barrie speed restricted. Hence at this moment the best use of the additional funding they seem to have received is increased service on a corridor(s) that can fully utilize it. Of course that argument wont hold true if they don't implement service increases once those restrictions are eventually resolved, which they are in the process of doing and they should be slammed if that doesn't happen then. But its not as easy as it might seem to add additional tracks especially on certain corridors nor is it as expedient as people may believe, having to deal with all the steps involved in the environmental, planning and construction processes.

I think you have got the source of my disappointment/frustration 100% wrong. It is precisely because they have made official pronouncements about post GTS service levels years in advance and I don't like the pronounced levels. They first told us (IIRC) in 2010/2011.....have confirmed it at every opportunity....and will confirm it today to anyone who asks. On opening day 2015 there will be exactly 5 more return trips than there was prior to the start of the massive spending/construction. They do not seem too reluctant to talk about future service levels to me ;)

Its highly unusual for them to be that specific publicly about when and by how much a service will increase. The feeling I've always gotten about those numbers is that they've low balled their intentions so as to not upset the Weston group. Just imagine the outrage if GO said they were going to add some 20 or 30 trips instead of just 10 from those massive polluting behemoths. :mad:

Although on another note, isn't it interesting that there hasn't been any kind of consternation or public complaints about the addition of an incredible 263 weekly trips on the Lakeshores in comparison to the 161 total new trips by day 1 of the UPX service. Rather people are overwhelming joyous about it and the only complaints are in regards to why other lines are being neglected. Yes the new Lakeshore trains will better serve the communities they pass than the UPX but we're talking about an order of magnitude greater level of pollution as the MP40 have a far higher output than the UPX consist and are still only tier 2 as opposed to the UPX's tier 4 diesel engines. Just goes to show how ridiculous that group was in with its claims.

Anyways, I think the increased service numbers are just a placeholder. There may indeed be only 10 new trips (I take it the other 5 trips that brings the number up to 29 is from the resumption of that mid day service). But I don't think it'll take them very long to at least ramp up to hourly service on the line to Mount Pleasant for a good portion of the day as all that will require is 2 more train sets and crews. Also if those 10 new trips are all within the current times on the line it would bring the service levels during rush hour to almost the same level that currently exists on the Lakeshore runs;

6:30 to 10:20
LW - 15
LE - 14
Kit current - 8
Kit future - 13

15:30 to 18:50
LW - 15
LE - 12
Kit current - 6
Kit future - 11

...although I just realized thats not a fair analysis since it doesn't take into account reverse communing on the Lakeshore lines.

But ultimately the reason why they aren't ramping up the service more so initially is because crewing is looking like its going to be an issue, due to the large requirements of the UPX. They're still going through a risk assessment to determine how those trains will be manned (whether they will use one or two engineers per train). So it could be anywhere from 20-40 crews or perhaps more. At the current pace they wouldn't be able to even meet those requirement, but undoubted that will change and training will ramp up once there are enough conductors to cover for those going off on training. GO seems to like walking on a tightrope when it comes to the budget i.e. not paying for having excessive amounts of people on the spare board doing nothing for long periods of time. Instead they seemingly wait until the 12th hour to starting training people so that they get qualified just in time for any new service. Which I don't agree with that at all, since past experience has proven it doesn't always work out as planned.

Essentially my belief as to what will happen is that they will have just enough for the UPX to start in 2015. But they're not going to just suddenly stop training crews afterward, the rate might decrease but they are contractually obligated to continue training conductors indefinitely. Whether or not they use them is another thing.When ever they've have more engineers than assignments, they start 'doubling up' jobs, replacing the conductor with a second fully qualified engineer who will assume the role of the conductor when not operating. But if they have enough consists it only makes sense to continue implement service increases a'la the big move. And the Kitchener line will most certainly be primed for service increases then.

Last edited:
Although on another note, isn't it interesting that there hasn't been any kind of consternation or public complaints about the addition of an incredible 263 weekly trips on the Lakeshores in comparison to the 161 total new trips by day 1 of the UPX service.
LOL! Oh wait, I live near the Lakeshore East tracks ... no, still LOL.

At least people living along the Lakeshore Line can afford to ride all those new trains, and they'll stop close by and be useful for them!
More to the point, why should Metrolinx add service to Kitchener with all the incessant whining by the local residents. Given all the whining about the very low emission Tier-4 diesels, can you imagine the uproar if they were to add full GO service with the current equipment?

Why create any further complaints from new services, when they can add service to an existing line without having to deal with the complaints?

If that's indeed the basis of the argument it does seem somewhat flawed.

Well, I did misquote the article (combination of ire and tired) it is based on them increasing ridership on the line by 50% "immediately". I still think that this is a real (emphasize that word) stretch. If 15 million people ride the Lakeshore West line now (that is the last number I've seen) it assumes that there are 7.5 million rides/riders who have not been doing so because the service off peak was not frequent enough.

So the number I quote was wrong....the problem I have with it still exists.

As for introducing service to more populated places I'm sure your well aware of the current limitations of the other lines; Milton - CP, Kitchener - construction, Barrie, Richmond Hill & Stovffville - single track and save for Barrie speed restricted. Hence at this moment the best use of the additional funding they seem to have received is increased service on a corridor(s) that can fully utilize it. Of course that argument wont hold true if they don't implement service increases once those restrictions are eventually resolved, which they are in the process of doing and they should be slammed if that doesn't happen then. But its not as easy as it might seem to add additional tracks especially on certain corridors nor is it as expedient as people may believe, having to deal with all the steps involved in the environmental, planning and construction processes.

I am aware of the line constraints. There were also line constraints on the Lakeshore line....in 2009 (i think that is when they started building the 3rd track) they prioritized 30 minute service on this line over beefing up any of those other lines (save and except KW which is a long project) getting hourly all day service. There really is no other way to look at it than that. Faced with a bunch of capital projects they picked the one that would get them to the point where we are today.

Its highly unusual for them to be that specific publicly about when and by how much a service will increase. The feeling I've always gotten about those numbers is that they've low balled their intentions so as to not upset the Weston group. Just imagine the outrage if GO said they were going to add some 20 or 30 trips instead of just 10 from those massive polluting behemoths. :mad:

It may be unusual...but they have done it....I just get a bit frustrated (and I apologize if that comes out too clearly) when people try to assuage me with the concept of them never setting these things out in advance. They have and they have been very consistent in doing so.

As for the Westonites.....they just want to block trains (that is my opinion...not their stated stance) and kept moving the goalposts on what their objection to the ARL/UPE was as each of their complaints was dealt with.

Anyways, I think the increased service numbers are just a placeholder. There may indeed be only 10 new trips (I take it the other 5 trips that brings the number up to 29 is from the resumption of that mid day service). But I don't think it'll take them very long to at least ramp up to hourly service on the line to Mount Pleasant for a good portion of the day as all that will require is 2 more train sets and crews.

Their language has not been very flexible. In fact, if anything, it implies it could flex downward to less trains (they continually put the words "up to" in front of the 2015 planned numbers.

Also if those 10 new trips are all within the current times on the line it would bring the service levels during rush hour to almost the same level that currently exists on the Lakeshore runs;

There has been no indication what times the new trains (or the restored) trains would run. It is even possible that the peak service average spacing of 30 minutes could be maintained (interesting that, as I pointed out earlier, peak rush hour service on this line has the same spacing as mid Sunday morning spacing on the Lakeshore...excpet, of course, on the KW line it is spacing in one direction rather than 2).

But ultimately the reason why they aren't ramping up the service more so initially is because crewing is looking like its going to be an issue, due to the large requirements of the UPX. They're still going through a risk assessment to determine how those trains will be manned (whether they will use one or two engineers per train). So it could be anywhere from 20-40 crews or perhaps more. At the current pace they wouldn't be able to even meet those requirement, but undoubted that will change and training will ramp up once there are enough conductors to cover for those going off on training. GO seems to like walking on a tightrope when it comes to the budget i.e. not paying for having excessive amounts of people on the spare board doing nothing for long periods of time. Instead they seemingly wait until the 12th hour to starting training people so that they get qualified just in time for any new service. Which I don't agree with that at all, since past experience has proven it doesn't always work out as planned.

Ah, the crew shortage....strange how this is not an issue for the 30 minute service being introduced.....a cynic (and I try not to be one...but it is hard) might suggest that this is why the 30 minute service is introduced at this time.....get those crews working on Lakeshore now before we have to tell the rest of the lines that crews are short because of UPE :)

The really galling thing (to me) that was in the presser the other day was the revelation that current off peak trains average 350 riders! If you page back a bit in this thread someone posted doubt about the KW lines ability to produce ridership based on the fact their observations of the 9:40 a.m. train out of Bramalea only gets about 300 riders. So 300 riders on a totally orphaned/out of synch train indicates a lack of demand.....yet 350 average riders on a full hourly 7 day a week two way service indicates there are another 7.5 million people clamoring for more trains....I just don't understand it at all.

I hope I am wrong, but I expect that the new 30 minute service will have a very minimal impact on total ridership, will actually reduce the average ridership per off peak train and it will end up just moving slightly more people in total....albeit more conveniently for those that are blessed with this service.

Last edited:
More to the point, why should Metrolinx add service to Kitchener with all the incessant whining by the local residents. Given all the whining about the very low emission Tier-4 diesels, can you imagine the uproar if they were to add full GO service with the current equipment?

Why create any further complaints from new services, when they can add service to an existing line without having to deal with the complaints?

This seems to be an endorsement of NIMBYism.

70% of the people boarding GO trains on this line do so at one of the stations in Brampton......you seem to be saying the Westonites have the legitimate power to block good service to that very large GO constituency.

....you seem to be saying the Westonites have the legitimate power to block good service to that very large GO constituency.
It lost the Liberals one of the safest federal ridings in Toronto to the NDP. So yes, I think it does have the power to scare politicians, particularly given how small a lead the Liberals hold that riding provincially (though it was a safe Liberal riding until the 2007 provincial election!).

If the people of Brampton who use GO would speak out and campaign the same way the anti-transit NDP lobby in Weston does, then perhaps it would be different.

As for the Westonites.....they just want to block trains (that is my opinion...not their stated stance) and kept moving the goalposts on what their objection to the ARL/UPE was as each of their complaints was dealt with.
Exactly right. While they've never said their behaviour is to block trains altogether (because that would get them ignored), their behaviour makes it very clear that they will never be satisfied. Give them electric trains and they will complain about noise, or ticket prices, or the lack of magnetic levitation, or something.

Exactly right. While they've never said their behaviour is to block trains altogether (because that would get them ignored), their behaviour makes it very clear that they will never be satisfied. Give them electric trains and they will complain about noise, or ticket prices, or the lack of magnetic levitation, or something.

EM radiation???

Back