News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The first of GO Transit's September changes has been announced.
http://gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

I almost fell off my chair in shock when I read this..

GO passengers can now ride for free on TTC route 38 between Rouge Hill GO and University of Toronto’s Scarborough campus; they must show their valid GO fare to qualify.

I am surprised that such a deal would even be thought of and that the TTC would agree to it.

Too bad Presto can not yet be used for this.

I almost fell off my chair in shock when I read this..

I am surprised that such a deal would even be thought of and that the TTC would agree to it.

Too bad Presto can not yet be used for this.

Me too! I literally snarfed my drink (getting vodka up your nose is not fun btw)!

I hope this is the first domino to fall.

EDIT: NM second question answered bove

Last edited:
Thoughts on the Stouffville changes:

-Adding two extra cars on three morning trains is great, but why not the afternoon runs?
-What is the point of the weekday 15:18 trip to Unionville only? That's the extra run we got?!? The buses are fine this time of day since there's no traffic.
-More buses are obviously an improvement, but the fact that there's now seven (!!!) bus trips between 19:00 and 19:30 really tells you how much we need a later train!
-I'm disappointed that the runs aren't closer together and the times aren't any shorter. What was the point of getting better locomotives and modernizing signals if nothing changes?!?

71 – Stouffville GO Bus & Train

Three morning trains will include two additional railcars, providing 324 more seats per trip. Two of these trains will be extended as of Sept 4; the third will take effect Oct 8.
A new weekday afternoon train from Union Station at 3:18 p.m. will make all stops to Unionville GO, arriving at 3:55.
The weekday northbound bus trip from Union Station at 3:10 p.m. will now connect with the new train trip at Unionville GO at 3:58 and make all stops to Mount Joy GO; this bus trip will no longer serve Union Station. Some trip times along the route have been adjusted.
The weekday northbound bus trip from Union Station at 3:15 p.m. will now connect with the new train trip at Unionville GO at 4:03, making all stops to Uxbridge; this trip will no longer serve Union Station. Some trip times along the route have been adjusted.
The weekday northbound bus trip from Union Station at 3:00 will be discontinued. Passengers can take the new 3:15 train or the bus trip from Union Station at 2:45.
A new weekday southbound bus trip from Unionville GO at 8:55 a.m. will run express to Union Station.
The weekday southbound bus trip from Centennial GO at 8:40 a.m. will now run express to Union Station, no longer serving Unionville; the new bus trip from Unionville GO at 8:55 will accommodate those passengers.
A new weekday northbound bus trip from Union Station at 7:00 p.m. will arrive at Lincolnville GO at 8:00.
A new weekday northbound bus trip from Union Station at 7:05 p.m. will arrive at Centennial GO at 7:50.

That sounds like they don't have enough trains to run later, but there's one free earlier that they can use for the new trip, and then quicky send it back to Union to be redeployed before the 4:18 leaves. I'm confused as to why only the morning trains are getting the added cars but not afternoon too. Maybe it's a mistake? The Barrie line also has two cars added to one of it's morning runs but says nothing about the afternoon.

I've noticed both the Stouffville and Barrie lines are getting the extended trains on October 8th. I'm assuming this is when an order of new cars arrives from Bombardier?

-What is the point of the weekday 15:18 trip to Unionville only? That's the extra run we got?!? The buses are fine this time of day since there's no traffic.
I'm sure someone here will know for certain, but as a wild guess, I bet it was just a convenient time to move a train from downtown, back up the line for storage for the next morning. They decided to take passengers ride because, why not?

I'm sure someone here will know for certain, but as a wild guess, I bet it was just a convenient time to move a train from downtown, back up the line for storage for the next morning. They decided to take passengers ride because, why not?

Yeah, it's a weird new train run. But with CTC activated, it's likely the train set could easily be used to do an extra run up, then make the return trip deadheading to Union to make another peak period run from Union either on the same corridor, or another line.

All Stouffville trains are stored at the end at Lincolnville, so there is no way it's a newly in-service deadhead trip.

Thoughts on the Stouffville changes:

-Adding two extra cars on three morning trains is great, but why not the afternoon runs?

Of course they are adding them to the afternoon run - those cars have to get up there at some point to come back down in the morning, right? I don't know why they didn't list the afternoon trains however, but it should be the 4.48 and 5.20 trains to start.

It is a quick and easy addition to the service - but that is a trainset that is already in use in the afternoon rush, and that's why it is early and thus needs to scamper back to Union.

-More buses are obviously an improvement, but the fact that there's now seven (!!!) bus trips between 19:00 and 19:30 really tells you how much we need a later train!

Not only that, but a number of those trips regularly require two buses. I'm sure that GO desperately wants to add a train around 19.30, but they don't yet have a train (or crew) to do it with.

-I'm disappointed that the runs aren't closer together and the times aren't any shorter. What was the point of getting better locomotives and modernizing signals if nothing changes?!?

This is the just the first round. There will be more.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Dan! I guess it does make sense that it would be the same trains in the morning as in the afternoon! :)

If/when a line is electrified, that's supposed to cut down the time to stop and start at a station. Is that going to change the calculus for deadheading? I.e. a train that now deadheads to Union for another run would be able to instead provide stopping service along the way without much time penalty.

If/when a line is electrified, that's supposed to cut down the time to stop and start at a station. Is that going to change the calculus for deadheading? I.e. a train that now deadheads to Union for another run would be able to instead provide stopping service along the way without much time penalty.

Electrified trains can accelerate faster, and to a higher balancing speed, but their deceleration rate is the same as with diesels. Ultimately yes, it does reduce the time required to get over the road. The varied Train Performance Calculators that GO (and their consultants) have used have taken this into account when running the various simulations for the many electrification reports that have been written over the years.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Extra GO Trains are running to the CNE on Labour Day weekend on all lines except Stouffville and no trains will start from Kitchener or Guelph (again) with no extra buses to connect people to Georgetown. (Meaning you are stranded in GT for a good hour)
There are VIA trains from both Guelph and Kitchener, not to mention frequent Greyhound service - which works very well on weekends, without the highway congestion around the GTA.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/CNE.aspx

Extra GO Trains are running to the CNE on Labour Day weekend on all lines except Stouffville and no trains will start from Kitchener or Guelph (again) with no extra buses to connect people to Georgetown. (Meaning you are stranded in GT for a good hour)

It looks like bridge construction is the culprit again for Stouffville. The last of the three new bridges is almost complete, so I'd imagine we'll get special event service next year.

There are VIA trains from both Guelph and Kitchener, not to mention frequent Greyhound service - which works very well on weekends, without the highway congestion around the GTA.

Wooooooh

If Metrolinx/GO is serious about growing the service out of Kitchener and Guelph, maybe they should provide the same service being provided to all the other lines.

If you can afford the 25$ per person on VIA/Greyhound go right ahead

Wooooooh

If Metrolinx/GO is serious about growing the service out of Kitchener and Guelph, maybe they should provide the same service being provided to all the other lines.

If you can afford the 25$ per person on VIA/Greyhound go right ahead
It's not easy to add extra mid-day trains in 2 directions in sections of track where there are no signals. There's lots of ways to get from Guelph and Kitchener.

Back