News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Then tell them in your next email! It is because more people live on the Lakeshore Line then Kitchener Line. From Hamilton to Oshawa there is more people obviously.

Yeah, I guess if you combine the two lakeshore lines you get a higher population than the Kitchener line :). GO/ML in their own studies identified the line as having density only second to the BD subway line.

You bring the fact they have no plans for all day service. Fine. Why is it not fair the GO for what ever reason is not ready? You've been told that it's a combination of Factors including CP.

Listen up folks.....thankfully I will only repeat this one more time.....I know they are not ready...I see the work being done.....but they have no plans to do it.....not now not in 2015 when the work is done and at no targeted date. Please tell me what CP has to do with it.....that would be a refreshing new excuse instead of "no crews".

Plus like SmallSpy said, it is political pressure. If Brampton's MP's actually cared they you would have gotten a different response. All I can say is start campaigning publically.

Oops, I thought we were on a board that discussed transit.....not the politics of transit. I guess what you are saying is that influential Oakvillians have the power so they can move trains and power plants and the rest of us should just take it, contribute and shut up.;)

Yeah, I guess if you combine the two lakeshore lines you get a higher population than the Kitchener line :). GO/ML in their own studies identified the line as having density only second to the BD subway line.
I had to. Other I was not being consistent.

Listen up folks.....thankfully I will only repeat this one more time.....I know they are not ready...I see the work being done.....but they have no plans to do it.....not now not in 2015 when the work is done and at no targeted date. Please tell me what CP has to do with it.....that would be a refreshing new excuse instead of "no crews".

I don't remeber the exact issue. But CP will not allow major passenger traffic on any of its lines. Unless GO pays up.
Oops, I thought we were on a board that discussed transit.....not the politics of transit. I guess what you are saying is that influential Oakvillians have the power so they can move trains and power plants and the rest of us should just take it, contribute and shut up.;)
Transit in the GTA is political, sadly. Honestly, I don't live in Oakville, but This assement is correct. After all, that's where the money is.

I don't remeber the exact issue. But CP will not allow major passenger traffic on any of its lines. Unless GO pays up.

The problem is that GO keeps paying up, again and again. They pay for these new tracks, hand them over to CP, and then CP just parks their freights on them like they're sidings. GO needs to come to a real agreement with CP build its own dedicated pair of tracks in that corridor, completely segregated from the freight tracks.

If there are not enough crews for a full 30-minute Lakeshore service, could they be planning a partial roll out? Say just Aldershot to Union, or Clarkson to Pickering? What distance of track requires an additional train crew be added?

If there are not enough crews for a full 30-minute Lakeshore service, could they be planning a partial roll out? Say just Aldershot to Union, or Clarkson to Pickering? What distance of track requires an additional train crew be added?
Given the ridership is higher in the west than the east, you can do a roll out for 30 minutes there.

If you are going to do it right, then Aldershot-Union is the way to go.

Without blocking the line for turning the train, Oakville, Burlington and Aldershot are your change point.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1013993/free-go-train-rides-on-the-barrie-line-on-august-5

Free GO Train rides on the Barrie line on August 5

TORONTO, July 30, 2012 /CNW/ - GO Transit is offering free train rides on its Barrie rail line on August 5 as part of its new Barrie weekend service. The Barrie line has stops at Allandale Waterfront, Barrie South, Bradford, East Gwillimbury, Newmarket, Aurora, King City, Maple, Rutherford and York University GO Stations and Toronto's Union Station. This offer applies to GO Train trips only.

In a summer pilot until September 3, GO runs six train trips every Saturday, Sunday, and on holidays, along the Barrie line in either direction. Two return trips make all stops between Allandale Waterfront and Union Station, and four return trips make all stops between East Gwillimbury and Union Station.

GO's summer weekend and holiday train service along the Barrie line makes GO an easy choice for getting to great summertime destinations. Those heading to Toronto from stops along the Barrie line can take in the nightlife, shopping, sporting and cultural events of the city including Caribbean Carnival.

Barrie-bound passengers can take advantage of the beach-lined waterfront, great hiking trails and outdoor recreation, or enjoy Barrie's vibrant nightlife full of great dining, entertainment, music and festivals including the annual Kempenfest held along Barrie's waterfront. Barrie is the perfect destination for fun-filled daytrips.

I'm surprised that GO Transit is offering free rides on Civic Holiday Sunday. Unfortunately, though, Barrie isn't such a great day trip (as advertised above) from Toronto. The first NB train departs at 12:10, and that only goes to East Gwillimbury, a bus connection is required for points further. I have also found that while Barrie has potential, and has a pretty good waterfront for a city its size, dining options aren't wonderful downtown, I've been disappointed trying several places along the main drag.

I'm a little surprised, but not shocked that they're offering free rides. With ridership being much lower than expected free rides might entice people who otherwise wouldn't take the train. And being the long weekend, people are probably much more willing to take a day trip when they know they don't have to work the next day.

The trips definitely aren't set up for a day trip to Barrie though, which is disappointing considering Kempenfest will be going on. The city has been talking about weekend service to bring people to the festival, so an extra train leaving early from Toronto would have been a nice addition.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1013993/free-go-train-rides-on-the-barrie-line-on-august-5

Free GO Train rides on the Barrie line on August 5

TORONTO, July 30, 2012 /CNW/ - GO Transit is offering free train rides on its Barrie rail line on August 5 as part of its new Barrie weekend service. The Barrie line has stops at Allandale Waterfront, Barrie South, Bradford, East Gwillimbury, Newmarket, Aurora, King City, Maple, Rutherford and York University GO Stations and Toronto's Union Station. This offer applies to GO Train trips only.

In a summer pilot until September 3, GO runs six train trips every Saturday, Sunday, and on holidays, along the Barrie line in either direction. Two return trips make all stops between Allandale Waterfront and Union Station, and four return trips make all stops between East Gwillimbury and Union Station.

GO's summer weekend and holiday train service along the Barrie line makes GO an easy choice for getting to great summertime destinations. Those heading to Toronto from stops along the Barrie line can take in the nightlife, shopping, sporting and cultural events of the city including Caribbean Carnival.

Barrie-bound passengers can take advantage of the beach-lined waterfront, great hiking trails and outdoor recreation, or enjoy Barrie's vibrant nightlife full of great dining, entertainment, music and festivals including the annual Kempenfest held along Barrie's waterfront. Barrie is the perfect destination for fun-filled daytrips.

I wonder if GO will do a similar thing with Oktoberfest weekend trips to Kitchener.

Sometimes I wonder if GO even remembers it expanded to Guelph and Kitchener....It is a good idea but this is the same GO that isn't even bothering to start Caribbean Parade trains in Kitchener instead of Georgetown....I have funny feeling you'll see extra buses maybe.

I have also found that while Barrie has potential, and has a pretty good waterfront for a city its size, dining options aren't wonderful downtown, I've been disappointed trying several places along the main drag.

Michael and Marion's is about it for reasonable food near downtown. Certainly not worth making a trip to downtown Barrie for but the food and service were decent last time I was there (a couple of years now; but it's been consistently reasonable for the last 15 years). Reservations strongly suggested. It gets rave reviews for Barrie but is probably middle of the pack for similarly styled Toronto restaurants; partly because Barrie residents require a more conservative menu.

For a very long time it was the only restaurant in Barrie worth going to for something like a birthday.

Oscar's was okay but not wonderful 5 years ago (I'm rarely in Barrie anymore). I found it overpriced at the time by about 30% for the quality of food/service you receive and I'm told that hasn't changed.

Last edited:
The first of GO Transit's September changes has been announced. GO will no longer provide service between Newmarket and Beaverton via the 69 local bus via Keswick, which parallels the old Lake Simcoe radial line closely between Newmarket and Sutton. It will be YRT route 50. Interestingly, GO will still provide bus service between Pefferlaw and Beaverton with a new route, GO route 80, and not an extension of GO's 81 Beaverton-Port Perry-Whitby service.

http://gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

Yes, notices went up on all the official bus stops on the route on Thursday. I use the route fairly frequently to go to and from Sutton.

It's always been an odd duck of a route, being a GO bus that took YRT fares within York Region and acted as a local YRT bus there. There was no other YRT route in the area north of Keswick, except for the brief experiment this past spring with Route 59 that served The ROC in Sutton. You could pay a YRT fare via YRT paper ticket and travel from Sutton to Newmarket for $3.80, or pay cash or Presto and pay the GO fare (~$7.00) to make the same trip.

It was not possible to use Presto to pay a YRT fare on this route. I bought YRT tickets. Travelling across Ravenshoe Rd also involves a zone change, so to go from Sutton all the way to Finch (via Newmarket terminal) is actually a three-zone trip. To travel south, I would present a YRT two-zone ticket to the GO driver, and get a transfer/receipt which I could use to get on another YRT or Viva bus at Newmarket. If I was continuing south across the other zone boundary, I'd pay a dollar in the machine at Newmarket terminal and get a zone upgrade ticket, which would get me to Finch.

Going the other way, I'd validate a YRT ticket at Finch, and then get a zone upgrade at Newmarket to get on the 69 bus.

Now, with this three-zone trip being all-YRT, will they be enabling the choice for the three-zone YRT fare on the YRT Presto terminals?

Back