News   Oct 08, 2024
 38     0 
News   Oct 08, 2024
 173     0 
News   Oct 07, 2024
 1.6K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Why wouldn't it?

A maglev is unrestricted by the friction limitations of the steel wheel-to-steel rail interface. In theory, they can climb far higher grades than traditional wheeled trains can.

In fact, the ICTS proposed for Hamilton after the GO Urban plan fell apart called for sustained 8% grades up the mountain. And this was possible because of the contactless LIM that it used for propulsion.

Dan
I don’t know I was just assuming they couldn’t take steep grades. The GO Urban prototype couldn’t go around curves so I felt like I wasn’t too far off with that assumption

Word on the street is that GO will be operating a special one day Oktoberfest train called the LederGOsen Line from Toronto Union to Berlin on October 12, 2024.

Take GO Transit’s Special LederGOsen Line to K-W Oktoberfest

Can we please, please finally get regular weekend service to Guelph and Waterloo?

Word on the street is that GO will be operating a special one day Oktoberfest train called the LederGOsen Line from Toronto Union to Berlin on October 12, 2024.

Can we please, please finally get regular weekend service to Guelph and Waterloo?
I’m sure Doug Ford would love to have one of these attached to the consist 😉

19473312483_6bfa294632_b.jpg

Only thing holding weekend service back are line upgrades that need time on weekends to do work. Sucks but at least its for a good reason, all day service in the near future.

Only thing holding weekend service back are line upgrades that need time on weekends to do work. Sucks but at least its for a good reason, all day service in the near future.

Do you have evidence that any such work is actually in process?

Sure looks likenothing is getting done.

I'm told that contrary to ML's board report, the new siding at Breslau still isn''t cut in, and the new platform at Guelph has no track at the west end. Plus, no counter peak service is possibleuntil these and the Acton passing track is completed.

- Paul

Do you have evidence that any such work is actually in process?

Sure looks likenothing is getting done.

I'm told that contrary to ML's board report, the new siding at Breslau still isn''t cut in, and the new platform at Guelph has no track at the west end. Plus, no counter peak service is possibleuntil these and the Acton passing track is completed.

- Paul
Can confirm (as of today) that the west end of track 2 at Guelph is not tied in. There's track laid over the rehabbed bridges at Gordon / Wilson, but it's disconnected for ~100 metres behind City Hall. And then there's been no progress west of all that for years.

Would the in-progress work allow for future two-way all-day service at 30min frequencies to Kitchener/Guelph? Or would a freight bypass be required for that service level?

Would the in-progress work allow for future two-way all-day service at 30min frequencies to Kitchener/Guelph? Or would a freight bypass be required for that service level?

To reach 30 mins in both directions, ML needs to add passing capability near Georgetown and between Georgetown and Guelph.

A passing track at Acton is in procurement, but the passing space at Georgetown may not happen until the Flyover is built and the third track bridge over the Credit is put in.. That's still years away.

In its current state, ML still can't run counter peak service. IIRC the original completion date promised was 2019.

- Paul

Hourly to Kitchener as the other person stated.

Right now as it stands I dont know if there is demand for 30 minutes. Probably need to wait and see how hourly generates interest.

I wonder how many people will actually use this service to go to Oktoberfest versus people who just want to get to & from Guelph/ Kitchener on a Saturday.
Majority of people come to Oktoberfest friday night, and now there are scheduled trains then.

Some people will use it for the event, Kitchener doubles in size during Oktoberfest, the attendance is 700,000 people and kitchener is 242,000. Ill assume 2/3rds the 700,000 are from the greater Waterloo region, so thats like 200,000 people from other areas.

Back