News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 595     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 969     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Someone on Reddit is claiming that some famous musician by the name of Sabrina Carpenter used a GO train to get out of Toronto. She sat in the last car and security prevented anyone else from boarding. Anyone know if this is true?
Has Toronto traffic gotten that bad? Are we going to see this happening more often? Particularly with the UP Express? Is MX charging a fee for this service?

I have a lot of questions about the validity of this post. It's rare to be on tour and film music videos. If it was a video you'd have official GO staff at the doors rather than just bodyguards. I feel like they got high, wrote some fan fiction, passed out, woke up and thought it was all real.

The return of Route 39 (Bramalea-Guelph) would also help on weekends. The milk run to Guelph from Mount Pleasant to Guelph via Georgetown is painful, though essential for the communities along Highway 7 itself.
Would be a bit less essential if Halton Hills would run a transit system.

Is it a system/comms integration issue? @smallspy @crs1026

1727792376606.png

Is it a system/comms integration issue? @smallspy @crs1026

View attachment 600690
Different systems and different operations, and not enough data being shared between them.

The station announcements are plugged into GO's train scheduling system, not their dispatching system. They know when their trains are on time or late, and can broadcast warnings and changes of that. They can even broadcast platform changes.

But the scheduling system does not display VIA trains on it (it's not a graphical interface), and so they don't know when and where the VIA trains are. Thus, they can't broadcast warnings for when their trains are about to pass.

Dan

Different systems and different operations, and not enough data being shared between them.

The station announcements are plugged into GO's train scheduling system, not their dispatching system. They know when their trains are on time or late, and can broadcast warnings and changes of that. They can even broadcast platform changes.

But the scheduling system does not display VIA trains on it (it's not a graphical interface), and so they don't know when and where the VIA trains are. Thus, they can't broadcast warnings for when their trains are about to pass.

Dan
Hmmmmm… to me this Adrian dude has a (possibly excessively expressed) point. If there are some hazard announcements then people should be able to rely on warnings before all similar hazards. GO should get itself a better system integrated with signalling and not just dispatch, or just have humans with a pair of binoculars and a PA system do it like what could be done before we decided computers were cheaper than headcount.

Hmmmmm… to me this Adrian dude has a (possibly excessively expressed) point. If there are some hazard announcements then people should be able to rely on warnings before all similar hazards. GO should get itself a better system integrated with signalling and not just dispatch, or just have humans with a pair of binoculars and a PA system do it like what could be done before we decided computers were cheaper than headcount.
I'm not so sure it is a OH&S Act matter either.

Back