News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 625     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I won't repeat what I just posted in the UPX thread - but to summarise - I bet the data puts a whole new spin on the case for Weston. It is one of the fastest-growing TOD case studies in the GTA. And yes ML has the data.

Re Mimico parking and others - I have a new proposal for parking at GO - instead of "reserved" spaces, which are often empty when renters decide to work from home - convert the top 25% of parking to a tap-in format with gates, and sell the closer-to-the-platform space to first comers, with the gates counting the number of spaces yet to sell. Kind of like overbooking airplane seats, it makes better use of available spaces. And probably revenue neutral or even positive to the reservation format, with no need to manage signs or enforcement. Admission by tapping your Presto Card, and if you don't want to pay, you park further away or higher in the garage.

At Mimico, there is a huge temptation to park in empty reserved spaces, especially after about noon, because the unreserved lot is generally at overflow.

- Paul

Not a bad idea, or just require users to pay via app or machine by inputting their license plate. It’d be simpler than a gate, especially when you can easily enforce it with an enforcement officer in a plate-reading car. They only get out to ticket or check a vehicle without a front plate who backed in.

Not a bad idea, or just require users to pay via app or machine by inputting their license plate. It’d be simpler than a gate, especially when you can easily enforce it with an enforcement officer in a plate-reading car. They only get out to ticket or check a vehicle without a front plate who backed in.
Ideally, we'd finally get around to de-coupling parking from the fares, which ahs been recommended before but not implemented. I'm sure that'd get people riled up, but I'm confident there'd be a way to roll it out so GO fare + parking was about the same as it is currently, and therefore a discount to folks who already walk / bike / use local transit.

Ideally, we'd finally get around to de-coupling parking from the fares, which ahs been recommended before but not implemented. I'm sure that'd get people riled up, but I'm confident there'd be a way to roll it out so GO fare + parking was about the same as it is currently, and therefore a discount to folks who already walk / bike / use local transit.

I get it too – a phase in with premium parking spaces (replacing/augmenting the reserved spots) would be a good place to start.

the Class 1s poaching their staff.
I still don't get why anyone would transfer from GO to CN, unless the working conditions are that bad... class 1 work is more physically demanding and our spareboard is 24/7 while Alstom gets their windows. I get the Alstom to VIA transition I just don't get why anyone would do Alstom to CN/CP

I would love to transfer to Alstom but I really find I hard to give up my bag on/bag off spareboard gig when I have to become a CSA for another year. Then all my time accumulated resets as well... and it adds another 3-4 years to being at the controls

Last edited:
I still don't get why anyone would transfer from GO to CN, unless the working conditions are that bad... class 1 work is more physically demanding and our spareboard is 24/7 while Alstom gets their windows. I get the Alstom to VIA transition I just don't get why anyone would do Alstom to CN/CP

I would love to transfer to Alstom but I really find I hard to give up my bag on/bag off spareboard gig when I have to become a CSA for another year. Then all my time accumulated resets as well... and it adds another 3-4 years to being at the controls

I don't work in the industry and can't speak to why people make the moves they do, you and others would be better placed on that. I simply know it has been an issue in the past.

The pay is better on CN & CP. For some people, that's more than enough.

Dan

The pay is better on CN & CP. For some people, that's more than enough.

Dan

CNoffer2024.png

I was seriously considering switching from Intermodal to Transportation because of to the higher pay. I didn't care about losing my seniority, but I can't stand the thought of having to go back onto the spareboard.

CN Engineers will make close to $185,000 per year if they agree to the recent offer. Do engineers for Alstom/GO make this much?

Last edited:
View attachment 557512

I was seriously considering switching from Intermodal to Transportation because of to the higher pay. I didn't care about losing my seniority, but I can't stand the thought of having to go back onto the spareboard.

CN Engineers will make close to $185,000 per year if they agree to the recent offer. Do engineers for Alstom/GO make this much?
I know engineers on extended run pools (Toronto-Capreol), (Capreol-Hornepayne) currently making 190k -200k which means this offer is a bit of a pay cut/very slight increase for people on extended run terminals. But for yard guys it's a massive pay increase. Which means opinions are very split on this (between the yard and road guys). Also there's stuff like them wanting to reduce heldaway pay and taking away 5 PL days inexchange for assigned days off... but that's probably a discussion for General Railway discussions and not here

Posted at 443pm today.

They posted a Locomotive Engineer posting today but I believe that's only for qualified Locomotive Engineers, conductor still need to go through the process of CSA to Conductor which is at least 8-12 months. Someone can correct me if im wrong... Most Locomotive engineers I know at CN have at least 3-4 weeks vacation so I don't know if giving that up is a option for them.

There's a special train wrap to be used for the Lakeshore lines.

1713612624388.jpeg

There's also apparently going to be "surprise giveaways" on the Lakeshore trains and at "select" GO stations on game days.
And of course extra trains pre and post games, including both home and away games because the traditional closure of Bremner and eventually York for fan watch parties will continue again this year.

Posted at 443pm today.

Notable quote from the article:

Alstom said in a statement to CityNews that the information they have received “does not reflect our experience.”

They add their retention rate for their Toronto operation activities this year is in line with previous years.

“As for the increase in service requested by our client, this was taken into account in the collective agreement and we foresee no issue with meeting the service needs set out for the remainder of the year,” continued their statement.

Metrolinx also said that they calculate their requirements before agreeing to any changes in service.

“We calculate our crewing requirements before agreeing to the service plan. In addition, we add a 20 per cent spare board to cover absences and we pay for additional crew members to keep a large contingency available,” Metrolinx said in a statement to CityNews.

Back