News   May 28, 2024
 666     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 428     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 775     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is a very odd approach to me, the provincial and municipal governments were not pushing for this service at all as far as I know. It's very unusual for the Federal Government to be the one to push for a project instead of just doling out the federal infrastructure dollars as the province wishes. It's gotta be a pet project of Alghabras.

Not sure that's the correct read:

1635524985317.png

From: https://www.progressiverailroading....ommitment-for-Milton-Corridor-upgrades--64297

Is the expectation that this would be hourly service off-peak?

Others would know better than I what may be planned; but for $1B which is the estimate I'm seeing tossed around, I would hope for better, at least in the core section of the network.

Hourly 2WAD to Milton, but either 30M or 15M service between Union and say Erindale??? (entirely speculative on my part)

I believe Union to Cooksville would be the priority due to the LRT connection however Erindale is the only station that has a 2nd platform on the entire line besides Streetsville (correct me if i’m wrong), and it does seem like a great station for all day service. There are some who prefer going to this station over Cooksville to get to Square One, and it does feel like its closer to it so maybe a form of RT along Rathburn could actually make our Union-Square One priority a thing?

This is a very odd approach to me, the provincial and municipal governments were not pushing for this service at all as far as I know. It's very unusual for the Federal Government to be the one to push for a project instead of just doling out the federal infrastructure dollars as the province wishes. It's gotta be a pet project of Alghabras.

I disagree. Mayor Crombie and members of Council have been vocally calling for more service on the Milton Line for years. It's always include as a top priority (and noted on the Mississauga's website) when they are logging the provincial and federal governments at AMO and FCM. The City commissioned IBI Group to do on the Missing Link report. So I can't see how it could be described as just a pet project for one politician.

I disagree. Mayor Crombie and members of Council have been vocally calling for more service on the Milton Line for years. It's always include as a top priority (and noted on the Mississauga's website) when they are logging the provincial and federal governments at AMO and FCM. The City commissioned IBI Group to do on the Missing Link report. So I can't see how it could be described as just a pet project for one politician.
good point. I guess I'm just surprised the first funding announcement came from the Feds instead of the province as it's usually their jurisdiction.

I believe Union to Cooksville would be the priority due to the LRT connection however Erindale is the only station that has a 2nd platform on the entire line besides Streetsville (correct me if i’m wrong), and it does seem like a great station for all day service. There are some who prefer going to this station over Cooksville to get to Square One, and it does feel like its closer to it so maybe a form of RT along Rathburn could actually make our Union-Square One priority a thing?
Kipling is an island platform, as well is Erindale and Streetsville

There is enough space in the ROW at Cooksvile to put a north track making the station an island platform

Hourly service would require a train meet at Erindale or Cooksvile and Milton

Last edited:
Kipling is an island platform, as well is Erindale and Streetsville

There is enough space in the ROW at Cooksvile to put a north track making the station an island platform

Hourly service would require a train meet at Erindale or Cooksvile
30 minute service would require a train meet at Kipling, Cooksville/Erindale, Meadowvale, and Milton

good point. I guess I'm just surprised the first funding announcement came from the Feds instead of the province as it's usually their jurisdiction.

Competing to announce support for transit is becoming a thing. GO claims London, Ottawa claims Milton.

It seems to be more convenient for Ottawa to just write cheques and let others bear the risks of execution. HFR plods, but Milton is suddenly a slam dunk. Just so long as we aren’t accountable for getting it built…...

I’m just happy it will get done, I guess.

- Paul

There was some drama around this at the time. Mulroney released a letter at the same time he was giving the press conference (right before the election). I can track (no pun intended) it down and post it here if you didn't see it.

Competing to announce support for transit is becoming a thing. GO claims London, Ottawa claims Milton.

It seems to be more convenient for Ottawa to just write cheques and let others bear the risks of execution. HFR plods, but Milton is suddenly a slam dunk. Just so long as we aren’t accountable for getting it built…...

I’m just happy it will get done, I guess.

- Paul

I'm trying to remember but I think a reference was made in the federal announcement for the Milton Line right before the election that the funds would come from some kind of federal trade corridor infra improvement fund? Since it's a key corridor for CP Rail, maybe that's the avenue they are using to increase capacity and one of the benefits is more room for GO?

I'm trying to remember but I think a reference was made in the federal announcement for the Milton Line right before the election that the funds would come from some kind of federal trade corridor infra improvement fund?

National Trade Corridors Fund

I like the firm dollars associated here. I honestly thought it would be forgotten after the election. I truly hope the Ontario government comes to the table and gets this done.

That’s one of the advantages of having an MP from that region who actually has a seat at the table and can get funding allocated. (And of course - the suburbs are important to the Liberals).

You can't be serious.

The GTAH is home to 40% of the Cabinet. What's more is that 14 of Ontario's 16 Cabinet Ministers are from the GTAH with the other 2 positions going to one in Ottawa and one in TB. Pet/King/KWC/Guelph/Nia/Lon/Wind however all got left out in the cold. When it comes to Trudeau's cherished "diversity" it certainly doesn't apply to geography.

Therefore I don't find it surprising at all as the GTAH will be getting absolutely everything they ask for and then some. Peel & Halton {the Milton Line route} have more {3} Cabinet Ministers than the rest of the province outside the GTA, combined.

The line also literally cutting through Sauga with 6 of the 9 total stations in the boundary should already be self explanatory as to how big of a deal this approach is, even if we’ll end up getting only 2-3 of them as a priority. When the expanded service is finally into place, this would easily become one of the top 5 most popular train services in all of Canada. The funding for this to become a reality is worth it at the end of the day.

Back