News   May 16, 2024
 538     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 724     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 569     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It would be interesting to see what the cost difference was for pour in place vs. precast to justify 3 years of construction vs the one year for Oakville Precast structure that will open this fall.

I suspect that it had nothing to do with cost, and everything to do with soil/geology conditions. Bedrock isn't very close to the surface at Erindale, IIRC.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

On my trip to Burlington on June 20, I see they still don't have all the flashing on the Burlington Walkway.

The north west corner of Clarkson south parking lot is fence off for the new parking structure.

The Oakville Parking Structure is about 90% completed with glazing to cover the stairwell still to be done as well the handrail, grading and installing the elevators. I expect to see it open for Sept.

The south parking lot a Bronte is complete from what I could see and open in July for the missing section.

Photos are up on site as I don't have the time to post them and look for them.

Guelph Central Station is coming to together. Another 25% of the platform is complete. The remainder is a big hole in the ground as they are building the underground tunnel to the yet to be built Kiss'n'Ride. All and all it is looking sharp.

I wish they could figure out something with CP for Hunter Street. It's such a better location than James North, it's a gorgeous facility, and it's got great connectivity with local transit.

I wish they could figure out something with CP for Hunter Street. It's such a better location than James North, it's a gorgeous facility, and it's got great connectivity with local transit.

So the station they're referring to is the LIUNA station? To me "Hamilton GO Centre" is the Hunter St. Station, which I agree is a fantastic restored Art Deco station a short walk from the bus terminal and most of the downtown offices.

So the station they're referring to is the LIUNA station? To me "Hamilton GO Centre" is the Hunter St. Station, which I agree is a fantastic restored Art Deco station a short walk from the bus terminal and most of the downtown offices.
Yes. I assume they will build the new facility adjacent to the Liuna complex.

The existing GO Centre is fine for serving Hamilton, but this will only be a stop on the line heading to Niagara, which would be difficult to serve from the CP line.

I read elsewhere that for the Hunter Station to have all day two-way service the tunnel just west of this station would have to be redone to widen it. I am relatively new to Ontario but I think Hamilton's downtown would be even more important if they had all day two-way train service with Toronto's Union Station.

I read elsewhere that for the Hunter Station to have all day two-way service the tunnel just west of this station would have to be redone to widen it. I am relatively new to Ontario but I think Hamilton's downtown would be even more important if they had all day two-way train service with Toronto's Union Station.

No one debates that.

The issue with improving service to Hunter Street however is CP. They own the tracks, and therefore they make the rules. They have said that if GO wants to run more trains, that they need to double-track the tunnel. GO feels that they can provide better service to Hamilton via the CN route, and therefore there will be two stations, on two different lines, in the city.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No one debates that.

The issue with improving service to Hunter Street however is CP. They own the tracks, and therefore they make the rules. They have said that if GO wants to run more trains, that they need to double-track the tunnel. GO feels that they can provide better service to Hamilton via the CN route, and therefore there will be two stations, on two different lines, in the city.

This is clearly what GO is thinking and, sadly, Hamilton seems to agreeing with. With a place like Hamilton with an traditional dense urban area, an employment base, and a strong local bus network I think WHERE the all-day service is located in Hamilton is a far more important question than whether there is all-day service in Hamilton.

Even if it costs $100 mil, bringing all-day service to Hunter St, which the current bus network already serves, where the jobs and destinations are located, would be worth every penny.

No one debates that.

This is clearly what GO is thinking and, sadly, Hamilton seems to agreeing with. With a place like Hamilton with an traditional dense urban area, an employment base, and a strong local bus network I think WHERE the all-day service is located in Hamilton is a far more important question than whether there is all-day service in Hamilton.

Even if it costs $100 mil, bringing all-day service to Hunter St, which the current bus network already serves, where the jobs and destinations are located, would be worth every penny.

Well, the issue beyond the location is two fold.

What is the actual cost to double-track the tunnel? I have never seen any estimates.

If they extend the frequent service to Hunter Street, what do you do with the trains from St. Catharines/Niagara Falls? Build a new connector from the Grimsby Sub to the CP line? Build the projected station at James Street? Bypass Hamilton altogether?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Wasn't the tunnel originally double track and then reduced to single track to accommodate triple-stack auto racks? If so, wouldn't it be possible to bring back the double track and add a gauntlet track down the middle for occasional freight trains that require the clearance? A more ambitious solution would be to rebuild the Belt Line as a freight bypass for CP and potentially even as a route for passenger trains to return to the Grimsby Sub from Hunter Street.

Back