News   Oct 02, 2024
 533     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 400     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 456     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I'd disagree with it. I'm of the earlier generation and I've always viewed Mississauga as a totally unwalkable suburban hell - except perhaps in the old Port Credit area.

I didn't agree with a comment that said every area is identical or has equal appeal as living or shopping area to everyone, I agreed with the idea that the region (Toronto) could generally be seen as one Metropolitan area, which it is, the Greater Goldenhorseshoe.

That said, I don't think two central GO stations benefits the city. Especially with neither connecting well to the LRT.

If one is seeking maximum commuters to Toronto, stations on the Lakeshore line are preferable, if one is seeking people to be in-bound to downtown Hamilton for work or play, then a station downtown makes more sense.

I don't really see, in the fullness of time, why both can have reasonably frequent services. (every 15M in peak, and every 30M off-peak). I just don't think a major investment to expand service in the downtown area of Hamilton is pending anytime soon.

I didn't agree with a comment that said every area is identical or has equal appeal as living or shopping area to everyone, I agreed with the idea that the region (Toronto) could generally be seen as one Metropolitan area, which it is, the Greater Goldenhorseshoe.

If one is seeking maximum commuters to Toronto, stations on the Lakeshore line are preferable, if one is seeking people to be in-bound to downtown Hamilton for work or play, then a station downtown makes more sense.

I don't really see, in the fullness of time, why both can have reasonably frequent services. (every 15M in peak, and every 30M off-peak). I just don't think a major investment to expand service in the downtown area of Hamilton is pending anytime soon.
Exactly. That's the issue we're trying to bring attention to. Despite the obvious need for increased service, there is no plan for it. For some reason that the public is not being made aware of.

a bypass right adjacent to Hamilton Airport (to enable direct or indirect rail-to-air freight).
Does that exist, anywhere? Given that much of Canadian rail freight is large tonnage of containers and bulk commodities, and aircraft are the modern equivalent of less-than-carload or 'loose' cargo, I'm not sure I see much compatibility between the two modes.

Does that exist, anywhere? Given that much of Canadian rail freight is large tonnage of containers and bulk commodities, and aircraft are the modern equivalent of less-than-carload or 'loose' cargo, I'm not sure I see much compatibility between the two modes.
There is little to no "rail to air" cargo. If you want it fast you go by air. If you want it cheap you go by train and ship.

Via the latest NRU:

TRIBUNAL SIDES WITH LANDOWNER IN KERR VILLAGE EXPROPRIATION DISPUTE

In an August 12 decision, OLT Vice-Chair William Middleton and Member Gwen Croserordered a significant cost award for Oakville Developments (2010) Inc. in connection with its land compensation claim against Metrolinx for 550 Kerr Street in the Town of Oakville. Metrolinx is undertaking a realignment and grade separation of Kerr Street, where the street currently intersects at grade with the Lakeshore West GO line. In preparation for this project, Metrolinx expropriated various lands in the vicinity, including taking a fee simple interest and a temporary limited interest of 0.545 acres of land from Oakville Developments’2.5-acre property.

The parties did not agree on the value of compensation to be provided to Oakville Developments, which initiated a land compensation claim pursuant to the Expropriations Act, the Tribunal convened a hearing to consider evidence from Oakville Developments and Metrolinx regarding the appropriate amount of compensation owed.

After hearing from a range of witnesses, including experts in land use planning, land economics, and transportation, the Tribunal largely ruled in favor of Oakville Developments and ordered that Metrolinx pay compensation for the expropriation in the following amounts:
  • $4,570,000 for the market value of the fee simple taking (as claimed by Oakville Developments).
  • $50,000 for the value of the temporary easement (as valued by Metrolinx, representing a reduction from the amount claimed by Oakville Developments).
  • $1,321,061 for injurious affection (generally as claimed by Oakville Developments).
  • Interest on these amounts to be paid at a rate of six percent per annum, commencing from October 16, 2021, the effective date of the expropriation.

Update: just noticed that the Tribunal decision includes a map.

1724816548721.png

Dealing with some COVID in the family right now. There are pictures that could be brought forward if you have time, @Northern Light

Reactions: PL1
Much as I'm happy to see this project progressing, it has been an awful long time for a pretty smallish bit of work.

- PUl
100%. I remember being on PAT leave when they were getting going and while the child is now much older, this doesn't seem to have progressed *at all*...

I don't understand why Ontarians are unable to hold Metrolinx, its subs and trades, and its construction partners, to measurable, quantifiable, schedules (with the appropriate carrots and sticks). I really don't want to be a 'the private sector does it better', because that's an equally-silly straw-man, but if we were allowed to construct to these absurdly lackadaisical timelines, we'd be in a world of trouble...

100%. I remember being on PAT leave when they were getting going and while the child is now much older, this doesn't seem to have progressed *at all*...

I don't understand why Ontarians are unable to hold Metrolinx, its subs and trades, and its construction partners, to measurable, quantifiable, schedules (with the appropriate carrots and sticks). I really don't want to be a 'the private sector does it better', because that's an equally-silly straw-man, but if we were allowed to construct to these absurdly lackadaisical timelines, we'd be in a world of trouble...

Pemberton would like a word. LOL

But point taken!

That's funny. When we were about to have a kid we were looking for a bigger place and were looking at those townhouses around Wallace and Perth. They were talking about this then. We've had time to move, have the kid, have him start school, and move again in this time.

In hindsight, buying one of those might have been a good decision at the time, but the stacked townhouses aren't great for strollers.

Back