News   Apr 25, 2024
 194     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 638     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 759     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It doesn't cost much to put in cycling infra, compared to Garage Mahals. The point being is that it is not a law of the universe that only park and ride can deliver passengers to a GO station. In fact, we can never build enough parking to support the kind of ridership a frequent 2WAD service can drive.
What about all other elements I mentioned? Can we also put a thermostat in the sky and control weather? I don't see myself cycling 4 km in snow and ice.

What about all other elements I mentioned? Can we also put a thermostat in the sky and control weather? I don't see myself cycling 4 km in snow and ice.
You seem to dismiss moving the station to square one for similar reasons. It would be too far for you to walk to. Surely there would be people who would bike as well as there would be people who live near square one who would walk.

Reactions: max
It's not impossible. And at any rate, there will still be other methods for travelling in very poor weather (bus, walking) if roads are really so bad.

I don't expect everyone to ride a bike, but Metrolinx's circular logic that only 1-3% of people will ever cycle meaning no cycling facility improvements should be implemented is deeply misguided.

@Deadpool X The notion here is not that we can or will make it so easy for each and every rider to walk or cycle or take local transit to a commuter station that everyone will give up driving or driving to a commuter station.

The notion is that we can, and do need to shift as far in that direction as is practical.

Lets bring forward what Mx is planning for at this station for examination:

1676735183978.png

1676735221560.png

1676735253415.png

My biggest surprise is that they forecast ridership drops at all the Richmond Hill Corridor, other than at at Langstaff, and a slight increase at Old Cummer. I'd have thought that with the extension of Line 1 to Langstaff, there'd at least have been growth north of Langstaff. And with moving Oriole station close to the subway (which is still in this plan) that there'd be growth not shrinkage.

I believe this assumes there is no change in fare structure. If part of your trip involves the TTC, then there is a fiscal incentive to travel further by TTCs flat fare and reduce the trip length on GOs fare-by-distance.

Passenger behaviour would change significantly if TTC and GO fares, or a mix of both, were equivalent for their trip. Take price out of the consideration list and they'll be optimizing for time or comfort instead.

You seem to dismiss moving the station to square one for similar reasons. It would be too far for you to walk to. Surely there would be people who would bike as well as there would be people who live near square one who would walk.
My reply was based on GO station moving to Square One.
It's not impossible. And at any rate, there will still be other methods for travelling in very poor weather (bus, walking) if roads are really so bad.

I don't expect everyone to ride a bike, but Metrolinx's circular logic that only 1-3% of people will ever cycle meaning no cycling facility improvements should be implemented is deeply misguided.
In any case, bike share will still be a small fraction if not 1-3%
@Deadpool X The notion here is not that we can or will make it so easy for each and every rider to walk or cycle or take local transit to a commuter station that everyone will give up driving or driving to a commuter station.

The notion is that we can, and do need to shift as far in that direction as is practical.

Lets bring forward what Mx is planning for at this station for examination:

View attachment 457252

View attachment 457255

View attachment 457256
We can shift some people to other modes but because of the nature of how the GO lines are placed and what our built form is, a vast majority of the people will still need some sort of vehicle to reach a GO station. TODs only bring new commuters within walking distance while doing nothing for other established areas where 90% of the population lives.

My reply was based on GO station moving to Square One.

In any case, bike share will still be a small fraction if not 1-3%

We can shift some people to other modes but because of the nature of how the GO lines are placed and what our built form is, a vast majority of the people will still need some sort of vehicle to reach a GO station. TODs only bring new commuters within walking distance while doing nothing for other established areas where 90% of the population lives.
I guarantee that if the go station was at square one more people would be able to walk or bike there. It would increase those two projections substantially

Honestly the biggest issue with cycling to a go station is your bike being stolen. I used to live in near rouge Hill, and would have loved to bike to the station, but I did not want my bike stolen so I parked my car. No one cares about bike thefts and there is no attempt to make it safer. I say start with that. Secure, theft, prevented, indoor, cctv monitored bike parking.

Honestly the biggest issue with cycling to a go station is your bike being stolen. I used to live in near rouge Hill, and would have loved to bike to the station, but I did not want my bike stolen so I parked my car. No one cares about bike thefts and there is no attempt to make it safer. I say start with that. Secure, theft, prevented, indoor, cctv monitored bike parking.

String of wheel thefts targeting trucks at GO stations extends along Lakeshore West route

From link.

Police are investigating 21 incidents, including 15 where all 4 wheels were removed​

stolen-wheels-lakeshore-west.jpg

Darren Maarse took this photo on July 25, 2019 after he got off the GO train at Clarkson and found all four wheels had been removed from his 2014 GMC Denali. (Submitted by Darren Maarse)

For a split second, Darren Maarse thought it was some kind of sick, practical joke.

He had just hopped off the GO train at Clarkson station on his way home from work and was about to toss his bag into his truck when he noticed the black, 2014 GMC Denali was up on blocks — its tires and rims were gone.

"It's almost like your jaw drops. You're just in shock like, 'Oh, my God. Seriously?' It's just a terrible, heart-sinking feeling that somebody would do that to you," said the 46-year-old.

Maarse is one of almost two dozen commuters victimized by thieves targeting pickup trucks and SUVs at GO station parking lots along the Lakeshore West train route during recent months.

Metrolinx and police investigators say they've received reports of vehicle thefts for about a month now. Halton police alone are probing 21 incidents from a number of stations concerning attempted thefts and broken windows, which include 15 cases where all four wheels have been stolen and the trucks left sitting on cinder blocks.

Pictures and stories about wheel-less trucks and SUVs at other stations along the route started rolling in after CBC News reported a rash of thefts at the Aldershot GO station.
For Maarse, shock came first. Then came the anger.

"You start getting angry because you think of all the things you have to go through. 'How am I going to get my truck out of here? I've gotta call the police, I've gotta call GO security, I've gotta call my insurance company.'"

The majority of incidents happened at the Aldershot and Oakville stations, said Const. Ryan Anderson. Bronte and Burlington have also been hit.

"We think they're related and we believe we're looking for more than one suspect because of the nature of the thefts," he added.

'Like a race pit crew'​

Anne Marie Aikins, senior manager of media for the transit agency, prefaced her comments by saying vehicle thefts happen at every public parking lot, including GO stations, but she said it's clear these thieves are looking for something very specific.

"They're looking for certain tires on trucks and their way of getting them is jacking the vehicle up on cinder blocks," she explained. "We know it's happened a few times at Aldershot and a few times along the Lakeshore West corridor."

Maarse's truck was targeted sometime on July 25 between 8 a.m. when he parked and 5 p.m. when he returned to find it without wheels.
aldershot-go-station.jpg

Police say the Aldershot and Oakville GO stations have been the main targets of vehicle thieves in recent weeks. (Google Maps)
He said he was struck by the fact the theft must have happened in broad daylight.

"I just imagine what they would pull up with probably some sort of van … they all hop out, they all work on a tire, someone jacks it up," he said. "It's probably like a race pit crew."

He posted a picture of the truck on social media and said his family and friends first responded with disbelief, but that quickly turned to shock and disgust.

Maarse, who works as an accountant, also sent his boss a photo and told him he wouldn't be in the next day because someone had stolen his wheels. His boss asked him if he was joking.

"People just don't believe those things happen," he said.

Multiple people share stories of thefts​

But the number of people who have firsthand experience with wheel thefts is growing, thanks to the spree.

Jodi O'Mara said she arrived at Clarkson on Sept. 4 to find her beige pickup on blocks.
clarkson-wheels-stolen.jpg

burlington-go-station-wheels-stolen.jpeg

truck-on-blocks-aldershot.jpg

Now if only there was better public transit in the 905.

I used to rent a bike locker at downsview station. $10 a month and saved my bike.

String of wheel thefts targeting trucks at GO stations extends along Lakeshore West route

From link.

Police are investigating 21 incidents, including 15 where all 4 wheels were removed​

stolen-wheels-lakeshore-west.jpg

Darren Maarse took this photo on July 25, 2019 after he got off the GO train at Clarkson and found all four wheels had been removed from his 2014 GMC Denali. (Submitted by Darren Maarse)

aldershot-go-station.jpg

Police say the Aldershot and Oakville GO stations have been the main targets of vehicle thieves in recent weeks. (Google Maps)

clarkson-wheels-stolen.jpg

burlington-go-station-wheels-stolen.jpeg

truck-on-blocks-aldershot.jpg

Now if only there was better public transit in the 905.
How does this happen in broad daylight? And why is there no security patrolling the lots? And why pickup trucks?

There are secure bike stalls being added to go stations. Pickering for example has one already.

I believe this assumes there is no change in fare structure. If part of your trip involves the TTC, then there is a fiscal incentive to travel further by TTCs flat fare and reduce the trip length on GOs fare-by-distance.

Passenger behaviour would change significantly if TTC and GO fares, or a mix of both, were equivalent for their trip. Take price out of the consideration list and they'll be optimizing for time or comfort instead.
Good point.

But the report indicates that it assumes fare integration (page 181):
1676766964758.png

The demand at the periphery in very low-use areas does seem to be lower than I'd expect (or even now), so I do wonder if the model is weak there. I'm not surprised it wouldn't go up much (at least north of Langstaff); but I'm surprised it would drop!

Back