News   Jul 15, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 343     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Any chance Richmond Hill line is going to get extended north? Since the Stouffville line is pretty much a dead end, and can't be extended.

The Stouffville line is not a dead end; the track does in fact go further; to Uxbridge; though beyond Lincolnville the track is not in GO-train worthy condition, as I recall.

The track could be extended beyond Uxbridge, as the Right-of-Way is largely in tact, but for a couple bits in Lindsay.

That said, its been discussed here often that there probably isn't much merit to extending the line at this time, as the area in question is quite rural and low-density, and most of us wouldn't want that to change.

The Bala sub (Richmond Hill) line is the CN mainline and as such goes on for a vast distance; but beyond the future Bloomington Station it also doesn't serve much as it gets further north, from a commuter point of view. I suppose one could go as far as Aurora Road; but Aurora already has service, so I don't see much value there.

I don't really want to see density on the east side of Lake Simcoe.

The extension of lines, at least for commuter rail purposes, should, to my mind, be tied to the existing commuter-shed; and/or serving a population centre of significance.

In that vein, further extensions of LSE and LSW to Bomanville and Hamilton++ are already in the near-term offing.

I would expect, that service to Cambridge would rank next on the list; likely via the K-W corridor; though possibly via the Milton corridor as well. Though a preliminary study favoured the former.

Last edited:
^^ (You type faster!) Agree. It's been discussed either here or in another rail commuter thread that Uxbridge has very little growth potential due to location (Greenbelt) and infrastructure limitations. Track conditions are sub-par, which in itself isn't a show-stopper, but alignment and gradient would preclude any kind of reasonable service.

I see Bloomington, with its large car park that many seem to love to hate, as a catchment for the rural and in-fill bedroom communities of Keswick and north as well as even Uxbridge, although Lincolnville will likely be closer for many.

^^ (You type faster!) Agree. It's been discussed either here or in another rail commuter thread that Uxbridge has very little growth potential due to location (Greenbelt) and infrastructure limitations. Track conditions are sub-par, which in itself isn't a show-stopper, but alignment and gradient would preclude any kind of reasonable service.

I see Bloomington, with its large car park that many seem to love to hate, as a catchment for the rural and in-fill bedroom communities of Keswick and north as well as even Uxbridge, although Lincolnville will likely be closer for many.

Bloomington should also help relieve Aurora's parking.

^The Richmond Hill’s two big limiting factors are the level crossing with CN at Doncaster, and the lower Don flood zone. Both can be solved, but neither can be solved cheaply or without impacts that some part of the public may object to. Extending the Ontario Line is a safer option, although not cheap either.

- Paul

I'd like to see the Richmond Hill line curve back to meet with the Barrie line. Creating the same type of loop that is desired on the ttc line 1 YUS
What sort of loop is desired on Line 1? None that I know of ... you can't run very frequent service on a loop - which is why the Circle Line in London was always such a disaster and joke, until they stopped the circular service.

How exactly do you plan on making that happen?
Through Bala! :)

How exactly do you plan on making that happen?
Like This:
1609710700362.png

We'll call it the Millennium Line /s

What's the benefit of looping the lines like that? Do we have tons of people going from Barrie to Langstaff?
I put the /s there meaning that I was being sarcastic. In reality There really isn't a benefit to such a loop unless long term you're planning to build a large suburban rail loop, and even then this is so far out that Toronto would have to become a large booming metropolis for that to be even remotely justified. Tbh I don't even really understand why people want Line 1 to be looped? Line 1 is effectively two N/S corridors, the only thing you're doing by closing the loop is just limiting future north expansion. Its way smarter to just add an east west corridor connecting the two halves.

I heard from the GO expansion project that the Danforth GO station is going to be renovated or revitalized in some way.

does anyone know the scope and/or timeline for that project?

I heard from the GO expansion project that the Danforth GO station is going to be renovated or revitalized in some way.

does anyone know the scope and/or timeline for that project?

Suggest you consult the TPAP Report for the LSE quad-tracking, pg 14

One additional track, with two island platforms, platforms shifted 150 meters east of present.

Procurement not yet under way.

- Paul

Back