News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I'll try again to explain: the existing bridge structure will be for the tracks. The east platform will be a new structure over Sheppard, as per the schematic I posted, and I'd expect a future west platform to be the same.

Thanks, I didn't look at the schematic carefully enough.

I'll try again to explain: the existing bridge structure will be for the tracks. The east platform will be a new structure over Sheppard, as per the schematic I posted, and I'd expect a future west platform to be the same.

Roughing in paint. Red = existing track, green = realigned east track, blue = future west track, purple = new platform structures.

View attachment 171056
Very clear.
Is there a reason that the existing track (red) is not left in place and the West platform built now. When it's time to expand, then build the East track (green) and platform.?
(or is the "future" track happening pretty soon in the future).

Very clear.
Is there a reason that the existing track (red) is not left in place and the West platform built now. When it's time to expand, then build the East track (green) and platform.?
Either way the track's got to move. Current track rests on west side of Sheppard bridge, and east side of the Esther Shiner bridge.

Either way the track's got to move. Current track rests on west side of Sheppard bridge, and east side of the Esther Shiner bridge.
Yeah, I would think it'll be much cheaper to replace the entire track than replace part of the existing track and adding two switches.

Very clear.

Exactly. A West platform wouldn't line up with the current track, because it shifts east as it gets closer to Esther Shiner. Track's gotta move.

The Caledonia station page has been updated recently, and while it explicitly mentions the future GO station, it's unclear to me if construction of the Caledonia GO station has already started.

The Caledonia station page has been updated recently, and while it explicitly mentions the future GO station, it's unclear to me if construction of the Caledonia GO station has already started.

The Crosstown flyover video that came out recently showed the Caledonia LRT station as just a hole in the ground. Didn’t look like there was much activity around the railway tracks, but one wouldn’t expect that to happen until the underground station was further along. So I would say, too soon to tell.

- Paul

As far as Weston goes it would be nice, if there is an intention for VIA to stop, for them to do so at the UPX platforms if that would then provide level boarding.

I will say off hand, a knock out wall is in place to allow transfer from the LRT station to Caledonia GO station when it gets built. Very hard to get a shot of the LRT Station in the past.
28737374587_b55e5ef93f_b.jpg

28737361907_1c94eb7b1a_b.jpg

I haven't seen much progress lately on the 4th track for the Weston Sub for the Kitchener Line. Any one else seen any progress?

I haven't seen much progress lately on the 4th track for the Weston Sub for the Kitchener Line. Any one else seen any progress?

It’s going to be a while yet. For a seemingly simple bit of work, there are lots of things in the way.:

- Shifting the bridgework at Bloor, construction of tunnels and east side entrances for the station are needed - not tendered.
- With the CP line on a shoofly over Eglinton Ave while a new bridge ovee the Crosstown Mount Dennis station is being built, no opportunity to lay track there until Crosstown is further along
- The Weston Station has been tendered but no progress seen.
- There is a new lay-down yard full of Strabag work equipment just east of the 401/409 overpass. Plenty of signs that work on the tunnel is starting, but it’s a major bit of work.
- A decision over relocation of Etobicoke North Station is in limbo
- The Torbram underpass is still in progress

The underlying track bed and bridgework is already in place everywhere else, and the signalling is all roughed in. So in theory the track could be laid in segments, in fact some of it already exists... but until all the above are well along, that track would sit idle, because it can’t be linked end to end.

A good example of ML/QP making various promises without understanding, and moving on, all the underlying work required.

- Paul

Back