News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.8K     10 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Its a real shame that there is no future possibility of future 2 way service with this station design........:(
There is a second track shown in one of the renders. The schematics also show reserved space for a second side-platform. The tunnel connecting from the TTC will/can have stairs leading up to both platforms.
They do, however, have to re-tweak this if the northern section of RLN is routed through here.

There is a second track shown in one of the renders. The schematics also show reserved space for a second side-platform. The tunnel connecting from the TTC will/can have stairs leading up to both platforms.
They do, however, have to re-tweak this if the northern section of RLN is routed through here.
I guess what I was looking for is a centre platform arrangement so that they wont need to build another structure. Would that have been possible to rejig the track to allow for this?

I guess what I was looking for is a centre platform arrangement so that they wont need to build another structure. Would that have been possible to rejig the track to allow for this?
I think they are space constrained by the two bridges. Since the platform stretches the whole block, the tracks will have to diverge before the bridges.

I think they are space constrained by the two bridges. Since the platform stretches the whole block, the tracks will have to diverge before the bridges.
Or maybe build a third track on the east side of the existing tracks, while building a centre platform in between, which will of course require another bridge over two or more streets, much more expensive, and RH Line won’t get two way service anyways. At least the rare Via train can get past in the current planned design. :p

Nothing wrong with future proofing, even if the upgrades will be very far in the future. Just look at the Prince Edward Viaduct.

The Leslie Subway Station is to the left, the Oriole GO Station is the train bridge going over Sheppard Avenue East, and Old Leslie Street is the road bridge to the lower left.
Wow ... I assumed they'd build the platforms over Esther Shiner, allowing access to the existing parking. I didn't think they'd build them over Sheppard. Is there even a pedestrian bridge added over Esther Shiner?

Good to see the stations being closely integrated though!

1547330658555.png

1547330827793.png

Wow ... I assumed they'd build the platforms over Esther Shiner, allowing access to the existing parking. I didn't think they'd build them over Sheppard. Is there even a pedestrian bridge added over Esther Shiner?

Good to see the stations being closely integrated though!
No there isn't, they're literally moving the entire station and abandoning the platform extension that was built last year. Truly terrible planning.

Last edited:
Is this Leslie/Oriole project completely new, or has it been proposed for awhile? Cuz it seems fairly large and out of the blue (could've sworn posters theorizing this in the fantasy thread not even a year ago). Also interesting in the renders is that the train has pantographs. Likely just an architectural model stand-in, but still interesting to see.

Is this Leslie/Oriole project completely new, or has it been proposed for awhile?

While there had been plans to move Oriole north to be closer to the Leslie Subway station since the planning process of the Sheppard Subway, none of the plans that my contacts were aware of involved a move of this scale.

Dan

Is this Leslie/Oriole project completely new, or has it been proposed for awhile? Cuz it seems fairly large and out of the blue (could've sworn posters theorizing this in the fantasy thread not even a year ago). Also interesting in the renders is that the train has pantographs. Likely just an architectural model stand-in, but still interesting to see.

The Oriole GO Station opened for business on May 1, 1978. The Leslie Subway Station opened for business on November 24, 2002.

The Leslie Subway Station is located south of Sheppard Avenue East at Old Leslie Street, not Leslie Street itself. If it were located at Leslie Street, the station would have been closer to North York General Hospital, though having it on the south side is better than having it on the north side of Sheppard Avenue East.

When the Oriole GO Station was built, most likely it was located to funnel motorists off the 401, not public transit users. At least with this shift in the GO Station, it will correct that mistake.

This move will be extremely important if Relief Line North ends up using the Richmond hill corridor. Are contingencies being put in place if the city decides to follow that path?

Back