News   Jul 15, 2024
 70     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

What's left?
- Don't even think of more than 30 minute 2WAD without building a flyover around Lambton or the Humber River. Too much interference to CP.
- Adding even a third track through Streetsville is problemmatic. Start working with the community to figure that one out. We might well end up with a Weston-like tunnel.
- A third and fourth track over the Credit River will be needed once Streetsville is figured out.
- Grade separate 5th Line, 6th Line, 9th Line, and 10th Line to give CP more flexibility and eventually lay a full second CP mainline, plus a full GO second main line.
- Link the second CP main line from west of Cooksville to that new mainline east of Dixie/Annex.

Cost estimate to complete? Easily $1 Billion.

- Paul

Great summary. I keep forgetting. Would the flyover be literally at the Humber Bridge or somewhere between Montgomery Road and Dundas St W? Looks like the land to the south of the tracks is designated as a park.

1545426826507.png

^It could be either. That "park" is actually a Hydro right of way, with large pylons, and just rebuilt. Also a popular leash free zone.

So the flyover would be restricted to the width of the railway row. I can't see Hydro giving any land up to the railway.

I also can't imagine the neighbourhood tolerating a proposal to construct there, even if the end result is appealing. So I would think the area east of Scarlett Road might be more amenable, the limiting factor there being whether there is enough linear distance between any of Keele, Runnymede, Jane, and/or Scarlett to fit it in.... all of those are road underpasses so can't put a tunnel where the road intersects.

- Paul

Email update from Metrolinx Community Relations - Stouffville Corridor.

Double-tracking 90 percent complete

Recently, we witnessed a significant milestone accomplished along the Stouffville corridor as it is now 90 per cent complete. The second (new) track has been laid and will be operational starting in January. The next step will be to update and shift the original track. Final completion for double-tracking is set for June 2019. Once fully complete, double-tracking will run from the corridor’s southern terminus at Scarborough Junction up to Unionville GO Station in Markham.

JkRZpd5wdnDgYZkU0phWu9mHyKqf3DWGlM9UZYk41DEWPbMeerVCIzDnECOqVCQPtu8=s0-d-e1-ft
pRobFa9zmbk_pnGvI-7pit3USkXqENkeTrlXXoO55LHGV5fdVHYTuftzmJa96-ikw66Tsm7LTXmK3e7yAi66jwPLGGsM0_kAV4AWi0XM3Jg5GaPBOw4-HKb_BP0AwgTF182f9GF36Pq0bEgMoHmcynksFduL_I6Q-nk=s0-d-e1-ft

Completed noise walls

Noise walls in Part I are now over 75% complete (not including Agincourt GO station project noise wall).

JkRZpd5wdnDgYZkU0phWu9mHyKqf3DWGlM9UZYk41DEWPbMeerVCIzDnECOqVCQPtu8=s0-d-e1-ft
iVUupqlXvcwYtmW4qM65I9Wgb4S2EPLw-D0n8D18z7sa2kkbiZJec_kU_S2KLEs2_pWmiUQw8a4CBzQFonqyModON4uSGbM6OQyjryAUSIw6SoU9B2mN2mbby3HsMhOednahLg0mg8fX9Pk92MKYUC3C8cRaXkjJ7QA=s0-d-e1-ft

Construction kicking off for Agincourt GO Station

Starting in October, along with Milliken and Unionville GO Stations and the nearby Steeles Avenue Grade Separation, long-anticipated construction kicked off at Agincourt GO Station. With estimated completion set for 2020, there are a lot of signs of progress already on site.

Coming up in 2019

• Full completion of double-tracking and noise walls between Marilyn Avenue and Steeles Avenue (Summer)
  • Continued progress of Agincourt GO Station project (throughout)
  • More CAC’s (every 3-4 months)
  • More Adopt-a-Station initiatives (Spring)
  • Completed tree planting

^Unionville may get the second platform, and a third turning track in 2020

Not "may" - it will. It is covered under the large umbrella contract for the rebuild of all of the Stouffville Line stations in the double-tracked section (save for the work at Kennedy Station, which is covered under the Crosstown work).

Although the "may" would certainly apply to the 2020 completion date.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Email update from Metrolinx Community Relations - Stouffville Corridor.

Further email update that came the same date, December 21st.

The GO Expansion Stouffville Part 2 team wishes you a safe and happy holiday season.

2018 at a Glance

Looking back on 2018, we saw 95% of the noise wall installed and the beginning of the fence tie-ins.

We also launch a new Adopt a Station pilot at Agincourt GO where the local community came together and decorated the windows of the station building with one of a kind art work. Please see the link below for more information.

https://www.toronto.com/news-story/9090511-metrolinx-and-agincourt-residents-decorate-go-station-for-the-holidays/

Upcoming for 2019

In 2019, we look forward to the planting of trees in your communities and progression of the double track work along the Stouffville line.

2Dx48R1uENG7eoofo5vunWpX_pVeboad_a2UmFcNPK_cLBwa66FaHjT-mGDw1tQleouSbIDTj-Vh0w_xjWpxnU2t4dqiw3UzY0r31YNpXnogh1zd7xZR6sNuFeB_S5aebnkv-c17_EWfr0MnmU1293kpmjXtoVaj0DA=s0-d-e1-ft

In the spirit of "Nothing is Easy Department" -

I took a tour of the Unionville line today to see how the double tracking is coming along. There was lots of progress evident, especially north of Agincourt and south of Lawrence. Given what hasn't been done, and won't be doable til spring, the earliest I can see the double track being ready Kennedy to Agincourt is end of 2019, and that's optimistic.

I took some photos at Milliken, presumably it's the start of excavations to install a tunnel leading to a two-track station platform. When I first got there, my first impression was not positive...because to do the work, crews had to tear up a section of the just-laid second track and the nice new retaining wall on the east side. Great logistical planning, ML, I thought, lots of money wasted. Where's the Toronto Sun when we need them?

What was more interesting however was when I looked closer and discovered that there is the foundation of an old building in the excavation site. From aerial photos, I am guessing that it is the remains of an aggregate gravity hopper car unloading plant for a sand/gravel yard that was built to the east of the tracks around 1961. (It's right where the three hopper cars are visible in the bottom of the aerial photo) Presumably when the yard closed, they razed the above ground structure but just filled in the basement and left it. There's a healthy amount of rebar sticking out of the concrete, so it was a substantial structure and will take some amount of jackhammering to tear it out. I'm betting that nobody knew this was there when they planned the new station. Surprise!

My point being, this is a good example of why construction gets behind, and it's why P3 has its good and bad points. The simplistic view of P3 is, the contractor bids a price and commits to a schedule and if there are unforeseens, they eat them. The reality is, either the contractor has padded their bid figuring that something like this will happen...but possibly the contractor also has a claims process and even with the "guarantee" of P3 deliverables, they may still get paid extra for this work, on top of the padding. Good old "time and materials" contracting isn't all bad.

- Paul

IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6169.JPG
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 4.06.28 PM.png

Last edited:
^ Wow great update.

The other interesting component is when/if in 2019 we'll see a design for the Scarboro Junction fly over/under aka rail-over/under-rail grade separation. Complex area...

In the spirit of "Nothing is Easy Department" -

I took a tour of the Unionville line today to see how the double tracking is coming along. There was lots of progress evident, especially north of Agincourt and south of Lawrence. Given what hasn't been done, and won't be doable til spring, the earliest I can see the double track being ready Kennedy to Agincourt is end of 2019, and that's optimistic.

I took some photos at Milliken, presumably it's the start of excavations to install a tunnel leading to a two-track station platform. When I first got there, my first impression was not positive...because to do the work, crews had to tear up a section of the just-laid second track and the nice new retaining wall on the east side. Great logistical planning, ML, I thought, lots of money wasted. Where's the Toronto Sun when we need them?

What was more interesting however was when I looked closer and discovered that there is the foundation of an old building in the excavation site. From aerial photos, I am guessing that it is the remains of an aggregate gravity hopper car unloading plant for a sand/gravel yard that was built to the east of the tracks around 1961. (It's right where the three hopper cars are visible in the bottom of the aerial photo) Presumably when the yard closed, they razed the above ground structure but just filled in the basement and left it. There's a healthy amount of rebar sticking out of the concrete, so it was a substantial structure and will take some amount of jackhammering to tear it out. I'm betting that nobody knew this was there when they planned the new station. Surprise!

My point being, this is a good example of why construction gets behind, and it's why P3 has its good and bad points. The simplistic view of P3 is, the contractor bids a price and commits to a schedule and if there are unforeseens, they eat them. The reality is, either the contractor has padded their bid figuring that something like this will happen...but possibly the contractor also has a claims process so that they get paid extra for this work. Good old "time and materials" contracting isn't all bad.

- Paul

View attachment 169578View attachment 169579View attachment 169580View attachment 169581
In their latest project update, ML announced that the double tracking is 90% complete and will be finished in June 2019?

Back