News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 964     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

My understanding according to Guelph Mercury/GOKW.org is that the bridge work beside Guelph Central Station won't be done till January and that the city anticipates trains to start in January.

The platforms are no where being close to even being ready for a mid December GO start. As well, Acton has yet to see any construction activity - some say they will skip service here till spring - but the GO Customer Service rep I spoke to on the phone assures me that all stations announced will be in service when the trains start rolling by the end of this year.

Last edited:
The Kitchner trains will use the same platform that VIA currently uses. A mini ramp will have to be built.

That's interesting. Because the GO trains currently all load within the yard at Georgetown (similar to Lincolnville), but across the mainline from the station in a stair-only tunnel, it is a tough one to make accessible. So once the Kitchener trains start, Georgetown will have some trips offering full accessibility, while others not.

That's interesting. Because the GO trains currently all load within the yard at Georgetown (similar to Lincolnville), but across the mainline from the station in a stair-only tunnel, it is a tough one to make accessible. So once the Kitchener trains start, Georgetown will have some trips offering full accessibility, while others not.

It makes sense to use the VIA platform than the GO platforms, as there is less switching and slow down involved.

Having some accessibility is better than none that there today. Downside, it means riders may have to leave early from both ends using the accessibility platform on the KW runs.

Erindale Station Parking Garage

Nov 17
After doing some shopping at the NO Frills on the way home, I did a photo shoot of the Erindale Station Parking Garage.

From what I saw, this garage is being built different from the rest I have seen so far and looks like there will be no precast floor beams being used.

MT has a sign up saying the west bound stop was to open in 6 weeks from the Sept 16 close date and it will be mid December before it will open from what I saw. Then the bridge and washrooms will be close until the summer starting Dec 20th.

From the sign showing the station facing Burnhamthrope, the underground ramp into/out of the garage for westbound traffic is next to the bridge. This means MT buses will have to relocate the current stop since it is in front of that entrance or the entrance be moved to the east side.

These are only a few of the 80 shots I took and the rest are up on the site.
6356682461_32bee6eff7_b.jpg

6356683091_53ef88f15d_b.jpg

6356683945_760aac6a0e_b.jpg

6356688529_b8be1ef8fc_b.jpg

6356698043_03580c031b_b.jpg

6356708097_d4718b248c_b.jpg

6356717747_593c199112_b.jpg

6356724595_7c8af3e59b_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics of Erindale GO Station! I am so glad the province is funding all these expansions and improvements to GO and its existing infrastructure. I am going to have to check this project out soon for myself soon-I don't get out that way too often as I have children and work and this project won't effect me but it still is appreciated. GO is going to be used even more in the near future and hopefully with all these improvement the system will be able to handle it.

I have to say, I'm really loving these "under the radar" improvements that GO is doing. Purchase a section of track here, new parking structure there, and no 'fiscal watchdogs' even blink an eye. No sticker shock involved.

The extended service to Kitchener is also great news. Looking forward to seeing continual minor upgrades to that service over the next couple of years as well.

On a semi-related note, took the GO train from Burlington to Union and back again yesterday, and noticed that they're building what looks like a parking structure on the south side of Oakville GO station. Is it indeed a parking structure? Haven't rode the GO train very often lately, so this is news to me.

Saw a GO train in Kitchener today coming out of the siding and then a few hours later sitting in front of the VIA station. The siding's close to finished. They were paving around the tracks and the fence still needs some sections to be complete. The platform is still under construction.

No pictures from me, but my friend got some on his Blackberry.

Last edited:
On a semi-related note, took the GO train from Burlington to Union and back again yesterday, and noticed that they're building what looks like a parking structure on the south side of Oakville GO station. Is it indeed a parking structure? Haven't rode the GO train very often lately, so this is news to me.

Yep, a new parking structure.

New Queen St Bridge

Nov 26
The bridge was fabricated almost a year ago in North Bay, since it was supposed to be erected in the spring. TTC cancel 2 schedule dates early this year for the erection.

The 2nd 15T girder could not be erected until the 2 VIA trains pass the site. Both pass within 2 minutes of each other.

The erection crew did the Hurontario overpass a month ago. Was told they had to go back last week to fix the bridge as a dump truck hit it with the box raised.

Here is 2 video of some of the erection as well some photos. More up on the site.
6414513197_1fe442d45d_b.jpg

6414509787_b4f4b8676a_b.jpg

6413742197_9e53eb2f43_b.jpg

6413744565_b9a471edcf_b.jpg

[video=youtube;-CHAl4wzF60]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CHAl4wzF60[/video]
[video=youtube;jYBWFnjAFxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYBWFnjAFxw[/video]

I just saw a picture of the Georgetown platform from only a week and a half ago and there was no activity to extend the platform in front of the VIA station. How sure are we that they won't continue to use the GO platform?

Over Queen will they install another bridge in a few weeks?

I just saw a picture of the Georgetown platform from only a week and a half ago and there was no activity to extend the platform in front of the VIA station. How sure are we that they won't continue to use the GO platform?

What I have been told is that the Kitchener trains will in fact service the southern-most track in the yard. This will prevent GO trains from having to cross over at Silver, just west of the station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back