News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The Sheppard Ave Overpass bridge has been pour with the curb still to be pour. Once that is done, handrails can be install. The retaining walls then can be formed and pour. Then the sidewalk and road can be built.

At the rate they are going, summer 2012, Sheppard Ave will be back in place with GO using the new bridge.

Meanwhile, at Ajax there are still few signs of movement six weeks after the northernmost part of the north lot was fenced off. Three construction trailers, a crane on tractor treads, and some assorted bits of construction paraphernalia. No ground has been broken, and I haven't even seen anyone within the fenced off area. I'm sure the owners all those cars parking on the grass and at the ends of rows (nearly blocking off access) appreciate this breakneck pace....

GO will definitely be on the bridge by summer... they can't do the road until they move the tracks onto the bridge and if the bridge has already been poured it should only be a few months for it to cure to a suitable level.

GO will definitely be on the bridge by summer... they can't do the road until they move the tracks onto the bridge and if the bridge has already been poured it should only be a few months for it to cure to a suitable level.

They can do the west side first for the eastbound lanes.

Once the GO track is place on the new bridge, then the east side for the eastbound lanes can be done.

Once that is done, then traffic will be moved to the eastbound lanes so the westbound lanes can be done.

Took the GO train to Niagara Falls for the first time on Monday and this is what I saw.

Clarkson:
The south platform is 100% pave and mark, but could not see where the shelters stand, as we were on track 1. On the way home, we were on track 2, but too dark to see. I would say this station will be completed by the end of the months, depending on the elevators on the south side.

Burlington:
The only thing I saw since my last trip last month that is new, concrete in the stairs, but not at the base. Taking its sweet time for getting the windows in.

Niagara Falls:
My first trip to NF by Rail.
Footings are in place for the platform lighting. The accessibility platform is made out of wood.

Very little room on the platform for people getting off the train as well getting on the train. No sign that work is taking place to widen this platform, other that lighting post footings. This includes rebuilding it.

St Catharines:
Platform being lengthen at the south end using the current platform edge material.

Bronte:
The new south parking lot is open for the first section with work underway for the 2nd section. New access to the platform at the west end still being built.

Appleby:
New north parking lot is open with work still taking place for the new walkway bridge to the north.

Oakville:
Not much has taken place since my last trip for the new parking structure from what I could see.

That is strange regarding the Niagara Falls accessibility platform considering it was concrete two years ago when I took the GO there. Wonder what they are doing.

As I was leaving on the bus, I noticed a CN for Sale sign up for this area.

Not sure if it has to do with the land where the platform area is or for the rest of the yards.

I was surprised that wood was being used since the rest are concrete.

The first few seconds of this video is out of focus for some reason, but you can see the CN tracks into Hamilton yard.
[video=youtube;GeUSh2fOIWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeUSh2fOIWA[/video]
[video=youtube;p57St-jjlFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p57St-jjlFo[/video]

In Kitchener and checked out the construction for GO's layover tracks between Park and King. This photo is taken on Park, facing east. It's nice to see work getting done, though I was hoping the line would be ready by now.

Attachments

• layover tracks.jpg
    layover tracks.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 261
Queen Street Closure
The only remaining work on the East Corridor Bridge Widening project is the Queen Street West Bridge that is scheduled to be completed in early December. As with the previous bridge widenings, there will be short-term road closure of Queen Street West near Dufferin Street to install the new bridge spans. This work will require two weekend road closures: the first is scheduled to take place the evening of November 24 to the morning of November 27, and the second will occur from the evening of December 2 to the morning of December 5. There will also be lane restrictions on Queen Street West in effect from November 28 to December 9. This work is being co-ordinated with the TTC work in the area to minimize disruption to streetcar service.

GO is doing some extensive construction at Allandale Waterfront GO Station, in terms of layover tracks, platforms, and the refurbishing of the station it's self. i'll stop by and snap some pictures soon. If all day service is implemented on all routes including the Barrie line i wish they'd build a shed over the tracks. :D

Got some clarification.
The Kitchener service will employee 1 new train, the other train will be an extended Georgetown run.

Next year there will be an additional Georgetown, Stouffville and Barrie train followed by mid day service on the Stouffville and Barrie. Half hourly service on the Lakeshore will begin afterwords.

Got some clarification.
The Kitchener service will employee 1 new train, the other train will be an extended Georgetown run.

Next year there will be an additional Georgetown, Stouffville and Barrie train followed by mid day service on the Stouffville and Barrie. Half hourly service on the Lakeshore will begin afterwords.

So for Barrie and Stouffville, an extra train in the spring and mid-day in the fall? Good news at any rate!

That is strange regarding the Niagara Falls accessibility platform considering it was concrete two years ago when I took the GO there. Wonder what they are doing.

Finally got my photos up on line for Oct 10.

The platform ramp is made on wood and closer look at the platform in the photo, it is also wood. The platform itself is very narrow, making it very hard to off load riders with bikes while people waiting to meet people as well getting on the train.
6292276246_b3df08f715_b.jpg

6292276916_09ea7aa846_b.jpg

6292275020_7c43b2b53a_b.jpg

6291756849_75abbcd7b6_b.jpg

The ramp was moved to the west and the platform extended as before it couldn't accommodate a full sized consist which necessitated a ridiculous double stop at the station.

Back