News   Jul 16, 2024
 247     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 479     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 599     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The report from the Capital Projects Group for next week's Metrolinx Board meeting has some updates on construction activities.

The Mandate Letter from the Province instructs ML to
  • Ensuring transparency to the public and GO users in relation to the progress of GO RER and light rail transit (LRT) projects by supporting the Government's development of web-based reporting on the status of each project including approvals, planning and construction.

which is definitely needed if this is all that's reported to the Board as public record.

According to the report, everything is on time and on budget. That's not surprising considering that the in-service dates run from 2021 to 2025. Not much information about what might be getting done in 2017. One would expect the spend project-to-date and year-to-date to be reported for each of these line items, with actual vs budget data shown.

There are helpful new items reported - e.g. the EA for the LSE Guildwood-Pickering expansion is complete; the RFP for the 401/409 underpass is expected shortly; the EA reports for Electrification, Barrie and LSE Union-Scarborough will be released shortly; the contract for the second track Scarborough - Agincourt has been awarded.

Absolutely no information about what ML expects to spend or complete in 2017. The 13 "enabling projects" are listed, without spend or milestone dates, and no listing or quantification of the lesser contracts or how much in total will be spent on lesser contracts in 2017.

It's an "activity report" with nuggets of good news but absolutely no transparency about work completion relative to target, about finances, or challenges. I sure am tired of hearing what a great job ML is doing with so little supporting evidence put forward to support that claim.

- Paul

Helpful review Paul. Thanks.

The Mandate Letter from the Province instructs ML to

which is definitely needed if this is all that's reported to the Board as public record.

According to the report, everything is on time and on budget. That's not surprising considering that the in-service dates run from 2021 to 2025. Not much information about what might be getting done in 2017. One would expect the spend project-to-date and year-to-date to be reported for each of these line items, with actual vs budget data shown.

There are helpful new items reported - e.g. the EA for the LSE Guildwood-Pickering expansion is complete; the RFP for the 401/409 underpass is expected shortly; the EA reports for Electrification, Barrie and LSE Union-Scarborough will be released shortly; the contract for the second track Scarborough - Agincourt has been awarded.

Absolutely no information about what ML expects to spend or complete in 2017. The 13 "enabling projects" are listed, without spend or milestone dates, and no listing or quantification of the lesser contracts or how much in total will be spent on lesser contracts in 2017.

It's an "activity report" with nuggets of good news but absolutely no transparency about work completion relative to target, about finances, or challenges. I sure am tired of hearing what a great job ML is doing with so little supporting evidence put forward to support that claim.

- Paul

The final list of grade separations:

• Burloak Drive (Lakeshore West corridor),
• Finch Avenue East (Stouffville corridor),
• Galloway Road (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Kerr Street (Lakeshore West corridor),
• McNaughton Road (Barrie corridor),
• Morningside Avenue (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Rutherford Road (Barrie corridor),
• Scarborough Golf Club Road (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Steeles Avenue East (Stouffville corridor), and
• Wellington Street East (Barrie corridor).

Wallace Avenue on the Barrie Line is also getting grade separated as a part of the Davenport Diamond project.

The Wellington Street East separation is going to be complicated, that area is very tight.

I thought I remembered seeing Mulock as being one they were planning on, but that seems to have been dropped now.

Last edited:
Where is it located? Also, I noticed that there's nothing listed for the Kitchener Corridor. Is that because it's tied up with the bypass issue west of Bramalea?

Wallace Avenue on the Barrie Line is also getting grade separated as a part of the Davenport Diamond project.

The Wellington Street East separation is going to be complicated, that area is very tight.

I thought I remembered seeing Mulock as being one they were planning on, but that seems to have been dropped now.

Wellington street east is directly north of Aurora GO.

Kitchener doesn't have any as there is only a single grade crossing in Malton for the portion of it that is going to be running RER service. Given the limited budget and large need for grade separations, they focused on RER portions of the network as they will be seeing the largest impacts from service increases.

The final list of grade separations:

• Burloak Drive (Lakeshore West corridor),
• Finch Avenue East (Stouffville corridor),
• Galloway Road (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Kerr Street (Lakeshore West corridor),
• McNaughton Road (Barrie corridor),
• Morningside Avenue (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Rutherford Road (Barrie corridor),
• Scarborough Golf Club Road (Lakeshore East corridor),
• Steeles Avenue East (Stouffville corridor), and
• Wellington Street East (Barrie corridor).

Where is it located? Also, I noticed that there's nothing listed for the Kitchener Corridor. Is that because it's tied up with the bypass issue west of Bramalea?
Wellington street east is directly north of Aurora GO.

Kitchener doesn't have any as there is only a single grade crossing in Malton for the portion of it that is going to be running RER service. Given the limited budget and large need for grade separations, they focused on RER portions of the network as they will be seeing the largest impacts from service increases.
Nothing about the Brampton GO service extension. I think Mulock is next wave.

I just participated in a GO Transit survey about the future Rutherford GO station. It was mentioned that the grade separation, parking garage, second platform, second track and potential enclosure will all be done at the same time. They also presented some renderings, which were presented as conceptual:
pic1.png
pic2.png
pic3.png

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 613
  • pic2.png
    pic2.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 908
  • pic3.png
    pic3.png
    237.8 KB · Views: 571
I just participated in a GO Transit survey about the future Rutherford GO station. It was mentioned that the grade separation, parking garage, second platform, second track and potential enclosure will all be done at the same time. They also presented some renderings, which were presented as conceptual:
View attachment 98989 View attachment 98990 View attachment 98991

Glad to see platform canopies showing up yet again in GO renderings. I love it.

The canopies make sense in the context of stations that are true living spaces and portals to the community....ie with stores, services, a reason to linger or visit, and the city centre at the doorstep.

If however the station is just an interface between a bedroom community and the parking garage, that most people pass through sleepily in the morning (ie before dawn, half the year) and return through in the evening (again, in the dark for part of the year), lingering no longer than is necessary to catch their train or top up their presto card, then I question the considerable added expense. After all, if one wants art forms in the middle of nowhere, we already have the TYSSE.

- Paul

The canopies make sense in the context of stations that are true living spaces and portals to the community....ie with stores, services, a reason to linger or visit, and the city centre at the doorstep.

If however the station is just an interface between a bedroom community and the parking garage, that most people pass through sleepily in the morning (ie before dawn, half the year) and return through in the evening (again, in the dark for part of the year), lingering no longer than is necessary to catch their train or top up their presto card, then I question the considerable added expense. After all, if one wants art forms in the middle of nowhere, we already have the TYSSE.

- Paul
At a time when the government coffers are empty or nearly so, and *operational aspects* of the system are grossly underutilized (the Weston Corridor immediately comes to mind for many of us) you really do have to question the 'monuments of opulence'. This is not a terminal station, where that design is historically derived from, or a major junction where a layover is required, so you make a good point, although where it's over the top more for me is with the vast parking emporiums as in Burlington, Oakville, Oshawa etc. We certainly don't need to be soviet serfs on this either, but sometimes simple but tasteful does the job with many facets of fashion and design.

As for the TYSSE stations...I've yet to see one that doesn't abhor me, and yet there's some lovely ones on the TTC system, so I'm not just being negative. (Old Mill, Dupont are but two).

You know damn well they're going to use 'infrastructure costs' as the next excuse for begging off building more functioning branches, and raising fares as a result.

VIA is an example of having some stations that are the bare modicum of utility, and yet they work perfectly well for purpose.

So, I went to the "Let GO Know" site to participate in the survey on the Rutherford GO station.....as I believe in honesty I answered the first question asking, essentially, if I use the station or live in the 'hood........with "nope"....takes you right to this screen:

upload_2017-2-21_14-26-31.png

This notion that you can only have input into stations/infrastructure in your own 'hood leads (IMO) to the overbuilding of some of this infrastructure....obviously there is going to be a bias towards getting the biggest/shiniest/fanciest piece of infrastructure possible. Allowing some outside opinion(s) (even if you weight them) might bring some objectivity to the process.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-21_14-26-31.png
    upload_2017-2-21_14-26-31.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 371

Back