News   Jul 16, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 532     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

whats the status of double tracking Barrie/Stouffville?

Havent heard or seen anything in a while.

Considering how long its taking them to double track these things, I am not hopeful for full electrification by 2024

The new section of double-track on the Barrie Line is targeted to be completed and opened in September of this year.

I haven't had a chance to see the progress on the Stouffville Line, but I've been given interim signalling diagrams which makes me think that parts of it will be completed and opened not too long after.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I went back and reread that presentation. The 'enabling works' items are targeted for completion by 2020. Four are in procurement but 13 will be awarded over the next year. The Barrie EA is mentioned in this category, but the track expansion isn't specifically mentioned. Clearly a lot of work is about to be undertaken, but ML is very vague on what's on the list.

Beyond that, the next set of tenders isn't to be awarded until 2019. It appears Bowmanville, Niagara, Kitchener, and the Bypass aren't on the Enabling list so this would include them.

Guess we will wait and see.

- Paul

Will Metrolinx be able to dig under the 401 this efficiently? 3 day closure only!

(have it at the lowest volume weekend of the year and pay the 407 to be free for these 3 days to divert some traffic flow)

http://www.scottishconstructionnow....ild-a-tunnel-under-a-highway-in-one-weekend/#

anyone been to Exhibition lately? Is it progressing? Will the tunnel through to the new structure be open this year? In time for the crowds to return for TFC matches at end of March?

Not sure if this is the best thread but there's an announcement in Brampton tomorrow. It could be Brampton Transit related. The inclusion of Baines makes me wonder if it's related to the bypass.

o6d5Gyq.jpg

Out of curiosity, does Del Duca do any actual transit work asides from photo ops these days?

I have a feeling it may be related to the Hurontario LRT (or lack of LRT for Brampton) and not GO Transit related.

That would not negate the need for a flyover though, no? The platforms are all on the north side, you still need to move the train over the cp tracks somehow.

Would they have to build this in order to make the connection work efficiently?

vt63BLL.jpg

Word is the main reason why they are upgrading the track is in order to increase Milton line service. Addional trains will be routed down the Canpa sub and then turn east onto the Lakeshore west line using a yet to be built connecting track. Seems CP is balking at have more GO trains running by Lambton yard. This would be a much cheaper solution to get extra services as opposed to the previously planned fly under the Galt sub at the Humber river and other track upgrades.

Word is the main reason why they are upgrading the track is in order to increase Milton line service. Addional trains will be routed down the Canpa sub and then turn east onto the Lakeshore west line using a yet to be built connecting track. Seems CP is balking at have more GO trains running by Lambton yard. This would be a much cheaper solution to get extra services as opposed to the previously planned fly under the Galt sub at the Humber river and other track upgrades.

Man, the rumours some of your co-workers come up with....

(For the record, I've heard the same rumours from some of your other co-workers.)

No, what they are doing is upgrading the track for the upcoming series of closures/reroutings of the Lakeshore West Line. Apparently those in the "Ivory Tower" are of the opinion that GO trains can't run on jointed rail. They are also upgrading the crossing gate circuitry, so that when CTC is installed on the line in the future everything will be ready for it - but in the meantime and for the foreseeable future, it will continue to be 15mph track.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Reactions: rbt
Yeah, Canpa sub for extra Milton service doesn't make sense to me either. Running trains by Lambton Yard shouldn't cause interference, they're already on the southmost track. It's switching from the north to south side of the corridor, and you have to do that at some point anyway; these trains would skip Kipling, and there's no platforms to serve the south/west-most track on the entire corridor except at Streetsville.

A curve such as sketched above from LSW to Canpa might allow Canadian to be turned and use Don Valley trackage in both directions. This would have implications for timekeeping northbound, and I think would make a case for Canadian to make an additional stop somewhere in GO Richmond Hill Line territory.

The stretch from Obico to West Toronto has seen considerable upgrading in the last 18 months, at GO's expense (and for the life of me, I don't understand why our camera-loving Minister has left this particular investment stay under the radar screen). There is no operational reason why CP would want trains diverted around it..... particularly if it's only squeezing more frequent GO service within the same peak hours. The capacity is there. Besides, CP keeps trying to close Lambton every few years....good luck with that.

Weaving trains from the Milton line onto the Oakville line at rush hour to bring them to Union would also be a bad thing operationally, as these moves would conflict with the through movement of LSW trains. It's challenging enough to get all the equipment moves in and out of Willowbrook as these must cross over between through movements.

It's a lucky break for GO that the Canpa line is there as a diversion route for the bridge work on the Oakville, and as a redundant contingency for Willowbrook to Union movements generally.....but let's not fool ourself into thinking that diversion routes are generally doable. If a route is blocked anywhere else, service stops, period. Using the same logic we could theoretically build connecting tracks at Davenport, too....not gonna happen.

- Paul

Back