News   Jul 16, 2024
 271     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Sheesh. Bloomington Go looks ginormous, are there additional plans for it to be a hub for some other services?

Yeah it is massive. No clue why to be honest. According to this, the cost is almost $68 million to build. Also it is described as a: New construction of a transportation facility in Gormley, Ontario. Completed plans call for the construction of a 315,139-square-foot, three-story above grade, one-story below grade transportation facility.

CzAm3coXUAEZUdk.jpg

The stretch from Obico to West Toronto has seen considerable upgrading in the last 18 months...

- Paul

Do we know it that was GO that paid for the work between Obico and West Toronto? None of our mutual contacts have ever referred to it as such, and two of them were working on-site.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I have never seen it in writing. CP managed the work - with use of contractors - but one of those mutual contacts led me to believe GO was ultimately paying.
When they did the trackwork at Obico, there were GO project people on site and the person giving track authorities was referred to over the radio as the "GO Project Supervisor", but that doesn't prove anything financial.

- Paul

The Bloomington station also amazed me when I saw that. Really questioning the need for that given the rural location of the station. The area isn't even designated for urbanization, and the Richmond Hill GO line isn't designated for all day GO service. The station would only be in use for a couple hours a day..

$70 million is also a ton of money for a station in any area, yet alone up there. West Harbour only cost $45 million..

Sheesh. Bloomington Go looks ginormous, are there additional plans for it to be a hub for some other services?

Yeah it is massive. No clue why to be honest. According to this, the cost is almost $68 million to build. Also it is described as a: New construction of a transportation facility in Gormley, Ontario. Completed plans call for the construction of a 315,139-square-foot, three-story above grade, one-story below grade transportation facility.

The Bloomington station also amazed me when I saw that. Really questioning the need for that given the rural location of the station. The area isn't even designated for urbanization, and the Richmond Hill GO line isn't designated for all day GO service. The station would only be in use for a couple hours a day..

$70 million is also a ton of money for a station in any area, yet alone up there. West Harbour only cost $45 million..

That was also my initial reaction but there is a very good reason for it: it's located right next to Highway 404. Long-term, the traffic on the 404 is just going to get worse as the northern areas along it become more populated, and as future extensions are built around Lake Simcoe.

I think that the government wants the station there so that rush hour commuters who get on the 404 up north get off it at Bloomington and switch to the train for the rest of their journey, releasing capacity for people further south on the highway into downtown. This is very forward-thinking and I think it will likely prove to have been a very wise decision somewhere approaching 2030.

The proof of this attitude is in those signs that were piloted on the QEW to try to entice people to get off at Burlington/Appleby/Bronte/Oakville instead of continuing downtown by car. I think you'll start to see planning and initiatives like this as our highways get expanded and the communities along them continue to grow and grow.

As for the cost, the station is almost entirely a parking garage, a massive one at that--those are expensive. Doing a very quick google search, Oakville's parking garage cost ~$41M completed in 2012, and according to the MTO Gormley GO station cost $22M having only a large surface lot and no garage. If you adjust the Oakville garage cost for inflation and consider that this is an entire station not just an add-on garage/compare it loosely to Gormley+Oakville, $70M seems almost exactly right, and reasonable for the scope of the project.

Regarding no all-day service, 1) as said above it's to take the load off the 404 at peak hours, 2) Aurora GO is currently hilariously over-capacity, I would imagine there are even a few hundred people who would take the train each day but have stopped bothering due to the lack of parking--my family is very near this point for rush hour travel, it's gotten to be more trouble than it's worth. Bloomington GO is situated at a location where a significant amount of Aurora GO's potential passengers can drive to Bloomington and have it take just slightly more time than driving to Aurora GO, counter-balanced by the ease of finding parking taking less time--so it could serve to free up desperately needed parking space in Aurora by the rush hour crowd, freeing it up for the people who want to use the midday trains rolling out soon. I used to take the GO bus to Union from Aurora midday sometimes and there simply isn't parking anymore after 7 AM, yet alone midday...if that continues, the midday trains won't get nearly as much ridership at Aurora as they would with available parking.

So it's a much bigger picture than it appears at first glance.

Last edited:
If a new eastbound WYE is build to connect the Lakeshore Line to Campa, Metrolinx will have to buy all the property of the fabricator that currently use the land since the track would cut the yard in haft as noted above with the yellow line.

The land between the WYE track would be useless and come green space. The remaining land can be reuse, but employment land has being dieing for decades to the point most are empty land. There is a few sites in the area where this fabricator can move to, but is it worth the cost to do so or relocate elsewhere where land is cheaper as well taxes??

but why is a garage needed in this area? why not another Gormely GO station that would provide the same level of service for half the cost?

The land between the WYE track would be useless and come green space. The remaining land can be reuse, but employment land has being dieing for decades to the point most are empty land. There is a few sites in the area where this fabricator can move to, but is it worth the cost to do so or relocate elsewhere where land is cheaper as well taxes??

I'm sure the local Councillor can find someone interested in building townhomes in the triangle within the new wye /s

To be serious, yes this would sever one of the larger tracts of industrial land in the area and would drive out an employer from a place where we want industry to stick around.

- Paul

yes, that is a justification for a large amount of parking, in the form of a surface lot a la Gormley that costs $5,000 a spot, and maybe a smallish station building. Like Gormely, which is brand new. What I am confused about is why they decided to build one of the largest, most expensive, and grandeur GO stations out in the middle of nowhere, that costs $35,000 a spot.

I'm sure the local Councillor can find someone interested in building townhomes in the triangle within the new wye /s

To be serious, yes this would sever one of the larger tracts of industrial land in the area and would drive out an employer from a place where we want industry to stick around.

- Paul
LOL....Love to see how the residents of those townhouses deal with the noise of 3 tracks around them, as well gain access to them.

There is another option to put in a WYE, but very costly, but keep the fabricator there. You build a flyunder for the land and it will have to be deep enough to get under Kipling and surface on the east side of it which most likely have issues there. It would have to start north of Horner Ave somewhere to miss sidings if they are still being use.

yes, that is a justification for a large amount of parking, in the form of a surface lot a la Gormley that costs $5,000 a spot, and maybe a smallish station building. Like Gormely, which is brand new. What I am confused about is why they decided to build one of the largest, most expensive, and grandeur GO stations out in the middle of nowhere, that costs $35,000 a spot.

Surface lots are not cost effective, or effective for parking, when you want spaces numbering in the thousands. Gormley has, I believe, about 850 with a provision for a few hundred more. I believe Bloomington will be in the neighbourhood of 2000. And, as I mentioned in my previous comment, it is not in the middle of nowhere, it is a comparable drive to Aurora GO for many of Aurora GO's passengers and is located right by the 404 and is being targeted towards highway drivers to get them off the 404 at Bloomington. Covered garages/an indoor station accessed from the garage are also much more appealing in rain, and especially in snow.

Word is the main reason why they are upgrading the track is in order to increase Milton line service. Addional trains will be routed down the Canpa sub and then turn east onto the Lakeshore west line using a yet to be built connecting track. Seems CP is balking at have more GO trains running by Lambton yard. This would be a much cheaper solution to get extra services as opposed to the previously planned fly under the Galt sub at the Humber river and other track upgrades.

Man, the rumours some of your co-workers come up with....

(For the record, I've heard the same rumours from some of your other co-workers.)

No, what they are doing is upgrading the track for the upcoming series of closures/reroutings of the Lakeshore West Line. Apparently those in the "Ivory Tower" are of the opinion that GO trains can't run on jointed rail. They are also upgrading the crossing gate circuitry, so that when CTC is installed on the line in the future everything will be ready for it - but in the meantime and for the foreseeable future, it will continue to be 15mph track.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
It's not coming from a coworker, it was from management level. I wouldn't bother posting on here unless it was from something a little more legitimate than hearsay amongst the rank and file. There are far more ridiculous rumors than that going on amongst ourselves, I haven't the time or interest to post those on UT. I may have falsely interpreted that as being the being 'main reason' now that I think about it he did not say that specifically I just interpreted it to be so. Anyhow if it's not something that has been formally proposed then my guess is that it's something they are considering/planning for at some level. It would be rather unusual for this person to say something that had no merit unsolicited otherwise. For the record the current speed restriction on that track is currently 10mph.
Well, we will see right? Obviously any service on the milton line is welcome. Milton is the second busiest line after all.

It will be interesting to see how the new 2 track tunnel is built under the 401/409 for the Weston Sub.

Could do this like Netherlands, but would require 2 weekends and shifting traffic lanes to the closure of 409.

<
>

Back