News   Jul 16, 2024
 163     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 913     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Which begs the question of when and if they'll stop ordering the diesel only locos and the heavy carriages. But of course, there's been no decision that I'm aware of for the EMUs to be spec'd, let alone ordered. Comments?
The new cabs order, currently manufactured and delivered (ongoing now and for the next year), is possibly the last BiLevel and diesel-only orders they have done. Further fleet expansion will be via EMU, while they will use the existing fleet to help continue to expand service, e.g. Niagara whose negotiations is going excellently (@NiagaraGO / www.niagarago.ca), eventual Kitchener all day service, etc.

The oldest coaches are just about to turn 40 years old now (none are retired except from damage!) and will likely be retired in ten years, Metrolinx said 50 years per unit, so the first ones will go not too long after EMUs arrive.

Attrition by retirement (and eventual sales instead of refurbishment, at time of next interior refurbishment) will clear the old coaches, but with the newer cabs, they could conceivably last to their 100th anniversary of the BiLevel model line after a few refurbishment cycles! Like the Boeing 737 and Hercules C-130, it is a durable model line. Accelerated retirement from the GO network, if that happens, would probably be sale to other commuter lines since the newest coaches are too new to be retired. Even the first non-prototype coach #2001, is still in service in Utah's FrontRunner.

Not too long ago, they sent out an RFI on MERX, linked in my post.
Recently they have confirmed they indeed plan to order EMUs, which will happen a few years from now, in terms of a few years prior to completion of first electric route. I heard years such as 2019, I can't find the info. But there will likely be many years of mixed fleet operations.

Realistically, the newer BiLevels will still be running for GTHA well into the 2040s on some routes...

Last edited:
Not too long ago, they sent out an RFI on MERX, linked in my post.
Recently they have confirmed they indeed plan to order EMUs, which will happen a few years from now, in terms of a few years prior to completion of first electric route. I heard years such as 2019, I can't find the info.
2019 was stated at Metrolinx meetings and it subject to when Union Station and its corridor is done. It been stated else where also.

Until you have Union completed or near completion, you will not be allow to run EMUs.

UPX has always been the first route to be done and it goes back to the EA on it as an condition of the EA and the opposition to it.

I used the 2030 as a guide for some of the existing fleet, not all the fleet. Given GO keeps equipment 40-50 years, a lot of coaches could still be around come 2060, since there not a big enough market in NA for them to be sold to someone else based on GO fleet size.

I used the 2030 as a guide for some of the existing fleet, not all the fleet. Given GO keeps equipment 40-50 years, a lot of coaches could still be around come 2060, since there not a big enough market in NA for them to be sold to someone else based on GO fleet size.
Aha, yes, 2030 sounds just about right for the retirement of the oldest fleet...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are still around come 2060.

If electrifation gets accelerated within two decades, the remaining fleet size by 2040s and 2050s may be small enough that the rest of the NA market can easily absorb them, considering the re-increasing transit interest occuring in the states. There seems to be some flexibility factor to delay or accelerate electrifation.

As for the UPX, they really need to rebrand the UPX EA as a RER Pearson EA, given that UPX has unified fares to GO and might be merged in. (I understand you were asked to investigate if the UPX station could be expanded). The electrification could end up being cancelled if the electorate sees further polishing of a white elephant, instead of a conversion to a public transit alternative.

Today's metro paper just advertised UPX fares....for Bloor/Weston only! Not even mentioning the $9 Pearson. Clearly they desperately want to increase transit ridership proportion, knowing full well they are railroaded to electrify a white elephant otherwise.

We may even need to rename UPX to "SmartTrack West" just to save GO RER. Will this be an exciting "compromise", or a lipstick on a pig?

Maybe even the six coach EMUs, via the idea I suggested the other day -- extend the UPX Union platform eastwards into the shed by Year 2025 using a narrow TTC style platform for rearmost three coaches...extend Bloor/Wesron platforms.....and only open the first three coaches at Pearson, conveniently the same coaches who opens doors in the main larger UPX area rather than a TTC-narrow platform extending eastwards underneath the shed). The sidewalk on Track 3 towards UPX is actually slightly wider than the narrowest TTC platform Inhave been on, so it could work in theory. Assuming a six coach EMU with good bend radius for the UPX spur. This would require relocating a signal slightly eastwards and shortening any train allowed to double-berth at Track 3, turning Track 3 theoretically into a SmartTrack platform (two 6-coach berths) with easy access from all concourses. The old UPX station would simply tell airport commuters which doors to board in order to disembark at Pearson, since only three coaches would open doors at Pearson. Later when Bramalea electrification EA completes, these identical RER 6-coach trains could berth at Track 4 and run slots in between the UPX after USRC/Bramalea corridor resignalling. 7.5 minute service, every other train would continue onwards to Bramalea. These trains would make additional stops at infill stations, thanks to EMU acceleration (e.g. Eglinton, and Liberty West). Then comes Unionville or Stoufville. SmartTrack/GORER East/West would gradually phase in over a five to ten year period (beginning 2024-ish), ultimately up to four berths at Track 3 and 4 (by 2030-2035) for ease of access as well as be a publicly acceptable replacement of UPX while reusing existing UPX station assets. Would this sort of compromise theoretically work to prevent a 2018 electrification cancellation?

(Tory promises notwithstanding, keeping the UPX name and 3 coach EMUs may not be a wise idea)

It will be interesting to see how to save the electrifying initiative come the 2018 election.

Last edited:
Aha, yes, 2030 sounds just about right for the retirement of the oldest fleet...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are still around come 2060.

If electrifation gets accelerated within two decades, the remaining fleet size by 2040s and 2050s may be small enough that the rest of the NA market can easily absorb them, considering the re-increasing transit interest occuring in the states. There seems to be some flexibility factor to delay or accelerate electrifation.

As for the UPX, they really need to rebrand the UPX EA as a RER Pearson EA, given that UPX has unified fares to GO and might be merged in. (I understand you were asked to investigate if the UPX station could be expanded). The electrification could end up being cancelled if the electorate sees further polishing of a white elephant, instead of a conversion to a public transit alternative.

Today's metro paper just advertised UPX fares....for Bloor/Weston only! Not even mentioning the $9 Pearson. Clearly they desperately want to increase transit ridership proportion, knowing full well they are railroaded to electrify a white elephant otherwise.

We may even need to rename UPX to "SmartTrack West" just to save GO RER. Will this be an exciting "compromise", or a lipstick on a pig?

Maybe even the six coach EMUs, via the idea I suggested the other day -- extend the UPX Union platform eastwards into the shed by Year 2025 using a narrow TTC style platform for rearmost three coaches...extend Bloor/Wesron platforms.....and only open the first three coaches at Pearson, conveniently the same coaches who opens doors in the main larger UPX area rather than a TTC-narrow platform extending eastwards underneath the shed). The sidewalk on Track 3 towards UPX is actually slightly wider than the narrowest TTC platform Inhave been on, so it could work in theory. Assuming a six coach EMU with good bend radius for the UPX spur. This would require relocating a signal slightly eastwards and shortening any train allowed to double-berth at Track 3, turning Track 3 theoretically into a SmartTrack platform (two 6-coach berths) with easy access from all concourses. The old UPX station would simply tell airport commuters which doors to board in order to disembark at Pearson, since only three coaches would open doors at Pearson. Later when Bramalea electrification EA completes, these identical RER 6-coach trains could berth at Track 4 and run slots in between the UPX after USRC/Bramalea corridor resignalling. 7.5 minute service, every other train would continue onwards to Bramalea. These trains would make additional stops at infill stations, thanks to EMU acceleration (e.g. Eglinton, and Liberty West). Then comes Unionville or Stoufville. SmartTrack/GORER East/West would gradually phase in over a five to ten year period (beginning 2024-ish), ultimately up to four berths at Track 3 and 4 (by 2030-2035) for ease of access as well as be a publicly acceptable replacement of UPX while reusing existing UPX station assets. Would this sort of compromise theoretically work to prevent a 2018 electrification cancellation?

(Tory promises notwithstanding, keeping the UPX name and 3 coach EMUs may not be a wise idea)

It will be interesting to see how to save the electrifying initiative come the 2018 election.
As I stated in the past, you have issues at Union for longer platform as you are on a curb. I know I have taken shots of the east ends, but can't find them to show the condition.

The best you can get is 4 cars, not the 6 you call for, for any of the other stations as there is no room to do it.

I do agree re-banding UPX, as I never supported the plan in the first place. Calling it RER or SmartTrack is a name only, but the quality of service is the game changer. Having a lower fare would help it more.

If it became part of the Stouffville line, it would provide even better service to the east getting to/from the airport or one side to the other side way faster than its today.

2018 is going to be a trouble year as to where transit goes depending on the election out come as well if its a spring election, not the normal fall one.

There seems to be some flexibility factor to delay or accelerate electrification.
Excellent sub-string! It really helps that we're not having to reference and link all of our claims, since it's the *gist* not the actual verbatim reference that allows the conversation to move ahead rapidly. Actual reference can be posted later if challenged, but we're all pretty-much on-beam.

So let me tie this back to fly's earlier statement:
[It's a shame that these vehicles spend most of their lives sitting in a yard.]. In light of Drum and MD's fleshing out my queries, let me pose this question (and I agree, it *is* a shame): "Is it better for under-utilized stock *at this time* to be idle rather than being worn-out running virtually empty outside of Rush Hour?" Track wear and time to pass and through junctions is also a factor. Which then leads to another question as to time-frame for ordering electric vehicles *which may themselves sit under-utilized* until catenary goes live, either in whole or part of the system. Ostensibly stock will be ordered in tranches as sections become usable.

Here's what I'm getting to, and this went over with a thud in another nameless forum:
Would it be prudent to lease or buy DMUs in the interim to supplement the limited Sumitomo DMUs now in UPX service? I've done a lot of digging on the background of this particular model, the only other user being piggybacked with UPX' order: SMART. They have some rather concerning news-stories around cost and availability, news reports stating follow-on orders will be *double* the price of initial deliveries. There's fertile ground there for UPX to sell-on the present units to SMART and start again, aiming at getting the Bramalea-Union leg up and running as soon as possible *before electrification*, which as we all know, lends itself to many facets of delay.

A legitimate question if 'interim' units are leased in (or bought and cascaded to outer regions later) is Tier 4 compliance. I've researched that too, and UK ROSCOs have re-engined 200 series (BR type designations) with the very same engine the Nippons are using for lease. (Edit to Add: Porterbrook are just one ROSCO with the ubiquitous 158 type for lease, the engine is the same as the Nippons, just an earlier version, the 'R' variant can be installed. https://www.eversholtrail.co.uk/fleet-portfolio ) AAR compliant? Probably not, but since UPX is already virtually stand-alone, will that be a problem? Obviously the couplers also won't be North Am type knuckle, albeit some are! (Brits call them "Buckeye Couplers" standard on the Cdn/US made GM Type 66 loco prevalent in the UK now, and matching wagons)

And those "vehicles spend(ing) most of their lives sitting in a yard"? Rather than run them empty, their intrinsic worth can be retained outside of rush-hour by running smaller DMU consists, even after doing my proposed Bramalea-Union RER first leg on non-electrified but all-day outer regions.

I would have been concerned that I haven't been specific enough explaining the concept, but the past few comments from posters have been very intuitive. If something seems hazy, please ask, I'll itemize and reference if need be.

Last edited:
As I stated in the past, you have issues at Union for longer platform as you are on a curb. I know I have taken shots of the east ends, but can't find them to show the condition.
I may have missed that post. Can you describe what is the bottleneck to simply raising the platform & adding platform wall doors? It seemed similar depth to the narrow-depth Union TTC platform. Yes, very narrow, but it would be usable.

And to make it less claustrophobic -- I was thinking, given enough money (say, over ten million dollars, but less than 100 million) -- possibly budgetted as a RER-specific Union Enhancement -- still possibly more politically feasible than many alternate solutions that threaten to cancel electrification!)
....Couldn't the brick walls and iron walls, be removed as an obstacle, simply by having the lower part having a bunch of punch-out holes (structural modifications). For example, the flat metal walls between the iron H supports, so you just have a bunch of supports in the middle of platform, far less obtrusive than the support pillars in the middle of the platforms at Yonge-Bloor? The store in the beginning of the SkyWalk is now also vacant too, so that space can be cannibalized. In some areas, any walls only need to be removed at the lower level in very slim structurally-supported hole punchouts -- it's not a skyscraper we need to support, anyway. Then all we have is poles/supports/Hbars in the middle of platforms for the eastmost 3 coaches that are now raised platforms with platform walls. It won't be deep platforms, but it would be less claustrophobic than what I earlier suggested. It seems messy, but not that messy, if done properly, low-profile, and tastefully...

The structural strength of that old ironwork wall is probably greatly overengineered, given early 20th century mentality of overengineering, and other support retrofits might be doable if alternate structural strength is needed... The wall cutouts could even neatly integrated into the heritage design of the ironwork there. That way, lots of new entry points & far less claustrophobic. Tap gates could even be installed near these area (in the skywalk right after Union, but far before the fancy UPX area) as an additional entry point above-and-beyond the main 3-coach-sized UPX station and the new public Track 3 access.

This would create more space for a TTC-width raised platform for the eastmost 3 coaches, couldn't it? Then the same 6-coach EMUs (if chosen for RER), could then also be used at the UPX station too, possibly cleanly solving a white elephant UPX problem if the same train fleet is used for UPX/RER/ST.

With easy stairs or ramp access from Track 3. Obviously there would be major compromises to be made, like shortening allowed trains at Track 3, followed by a future whole Track 3 platform raising during future phases of SmartTrack.

The intermediate (Bloor/Weston) platform raisings could cannibalize existing GO platforms -- you would lengthen platforms into the existing GO platform area. As some service transferred to 6 coach EMUs instead of 12-coach bilevels. During the transition period where the old BiLevels still stop at Weston/Bloor, some coaches could remain closed during the high-floor EMU transition period on this corridor. 12-coaches bilevels would only open 9 doors. All infills could be designed as high-platform.

If they choose high-floor EMUs for the EMU route (RER/ST segment), the opportunity of cannibalizing low-floor platforms with high-platforms at Weston/Bloor arises, with the technique of only opening 9 coaches out of 12 at these stations (musical chairs like during construction) during a transition period before diesels begin going express at these stations.

There really is no non-messy compromise -- and this might end up being the least messy compromise if there was an small engineering overkill spend to "solve" the curb problem you say... Even if it cost $50M (if that) it would still be a fraction of 1% of the RER budget. But it looks like a "Rube Goldberg" engineering solution to create holes in the wall to permit a slightly deeper "normal TTC depth" platform -- would not even need to cost $100M while satisfying everyone (e.g. signal relocation, mechanical equipment relocation, alternate maintenance access, etc.).

Assuming Metrolinx successfully overloads UPX trains by 2018 with standing room only, there might be voter interest in hearing "SmartTrack takes over UPX" talk, even if it's in name only. This could save electrification and reduce long term RER costs (same 6 coach EMU fleet for all EMU routes)

With the fare unification GO+UPX, the merger of UPX into GO/RER is already signalled as a possible outcome. When the electrified UPX-RER hybrid stops at places like Liberty and Eglinton Crosstown, (and possibly goes past to Unionville), this will overwhelm 4 coach trains. It would be a waste to upgrade to 4 coach trains if UPX is simply merged into RER with the infills. Shut down UPX Union, relocate UPX to a regular track? That'd be a short lifetime for 4 coach trains that probably ends up as a different brand than what they'll choose for RER.

I mean, if this is a keystone to RER plans, we need to transition to RER properly, and not waste it on low-fare 3-coach or 4-coach trains. Even $100M on structurally re-engineering/removing/punching that wall (and all equipment/mechanical relocations) would save a lot of money for electrified RER over the long term by unifying the EMU fleet, I would think (Assuming they end up choosing high-platform EMUs).

It might not be possible at current budget, and might not be practical if they choose low-floor EMUs. But if they go high-floor, it seems there is an obvious transition period occurs anyway that overlaps the intermediate UPX stations, so it's Pearson and Union we'd be mainly concerned about, as a separate spend... That does mean we modify UPX infrastructure so early after we just built it (ouch), but if we're lengthening to 4 coaches and modifying anyway, then costing a "higher cost but EMU fleet unifying" path to unifying to a 6-coach EMU fleet needs to be begged, right?

I do agree re-banding UPX, as I never supported the plan in the first place. Calling it RER or SmartTrack is a name only
Yes, this would be name only.

2018 is going to be a trouble year as to where transit goes depending on the election out come as well if its a spring election, not the normal fall one.
No kidding. In the light of $13.5 billion of the RER initiative, is it truly impossible for $20 million to make engineering megaproject modifications necessary to shoehorn a narrow raised platform backwards into Union? If the later cost savings was a fleet unification "without the messy politics of shutting down still-new UPX assets"? I'm just wondering.

Last edited:
Until you get CP & CN to allow electrification on their corridors, you need current fleet equipment on them.

I believe CN is fine with electrification on their rights of way, they and Metrolinx worked out the standards to meet their needs years ago. It's just tricky and expensive to do, and would only affect parts of the Halton, Grimsby, and Bala subdivisions.

With CP, it's part of a larger capacity issue.

Here is a rendering of the new GO Transit Control Centre that is now under construction in Oakville (its the smaller building in the foreground):
1916914_10206912043092863_2277176139447154776_n.jpg

Here is a picture from today of the start of construction:
i4sM4sl.jpg

Out of curiosity, why did they choose Oakville as the site for this? I would have figured some kind of co-location with the physical maintenance and storage facilities would have made sense. OC Transpo's central dispatch is at its St. Laurent location, which is where its main bus depot is (and just around the corner from the new LRT MSF). Hamilton's Traffic Operations Control Centre is at its main shop too.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, I'm just curious as to why Oakville was chosen over some place like Willowbrook or Union.

Out of curiosity, why did they choose Oakville as the site for this? I would have figured some kind of co-location with the physical maintenance and storage facilities would have made sense. OC Transpo's central dispatch is at its St. Laurent location, which is where it's main bus depot is (and just around the corner from the new LRT MSF). Hamilton's Traffic Operations Control Centre is at its main shop too.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, I'm just curious as to why Oakville was chosen over some place like Willowbrook or Union.

I honestly have no clue. Maybe because they already owned the land, but they also own land in many other places. There is next to no information available for this project, and when I reached out to Metrolinx they didn't have any additional information to give me.

Out of curiosity, why did they choose Oakville as the site for this? I would have figured some kind of co-location with the physical maintenance and storage facilities would have made sense. OC Transpo's central dispatch is at its St. Laurent location, which is where it's main bus depot is (and just around the corner from the new LRT MSF). Hamilton's Traffic Operations Control Centre is at its main shop too.

I'm wondering if there's other utility configurations that are in play. Maybe it was a strategic spot to centralize their communications.

It is a good question.
Gweed writes: [a strategic spot to centralize their communications]. That would make sense. Oakville is well centred in the Golden Horseshoe. It would be good to see an official reason given, though. One has to question best price, since Oakville is hardly Brownfield Central.

If I was Metrolinx this would be my rationale:

- Union costs way too much for rent
- Union would create a issue in redundancy. I don't want all my eggs in one basket in case of a natural disaster
- Willowbrook (Mimico) only has room on the south side of the tracks between Islington and Kipling. No transit connection and I would have to buy land.
- need data redundancy. Oakville GO will have fibre redundancy. Can route Oakville to Toronto OR Oakville/Hamilton/Woodstock/Kitchener/Toronto
- the employees have to be within 30 minutes (or 45 I forget) commute of the old work site or you have to offer them severance
- and finally a selfish one...I assume the VP's that are moving all live in the Oakville area

If I was Metrolinx this would be my rationale:

- Union costs way too much for rent
- Union would create a issue in redundancy. I don't want all my eggs in one basket in case of a natural disaster
- Willowbrook (Mimico) only has room on the south side of the tracks between Islington and Kipling. No transit connection and I would have to buy land.
- need data redundancy. Oakville GO will have fibre redundancy. Can route Oakville to Toronto OR Oakville/Hamilton/Woodstock/Kitchener/Toronto
- the employees have to be within 30 minutes (or 45 I forget) commute of the old work site or you have to offer them severance
- and finally a selfish one...I assume the VP's that are moving all live in the Oakville area

Solid points on all fronts.

Back