News   May 24, 2024
 989     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 415     0 

Globe: Toronto needs strong mayor with veto power, Doug Ford says

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course they'd love this, now that they're in power. But once the tide turns and a more progressive mayor were to be elected they'd all cry foul at the lack of democracy in council and the dictatorial powers of the mayor.

God help us if they get their wish.

^^ A little elitist no? Especially considering the overwhelming majority? I guess we've spent the last 7 months arguing that point.

I think it's a good idea. Given cities like NYC and Chicago both have a much stronger mayoralty system. Look at how beloved Daley and Bloomberg are.

Last edited:
Overwhelming majority? It's been proven again and again that a fair amount of people also voted against him. If anything, it's the namecallers who are elitist, stapling simplistic identities to others while basking on their own pedestals thinking that they're right.

Ford is realizing that not everyone thinks the same way as he does, but instead of trying reach out and build support, he's trying to steamroll the opposition.

^^ A little elitist no? Especially considering the overwhelming majority?

More and more, it would seem as if Doug Ford is the mayor and he was voted by 70% of Etobicoke Ward 2 residents - which represents 1.48% of Toronto voters. Not exactly an overwhelming majority, eh?

Of course they'd love this, now that they're in power. But once the tide turns and a more progressive mayor were to be elected they'd all cry foul at the lack of democracy in council and the dictatorial powers of the mayor.

God help us if they get their wish.

If Hudak becomes premier next fall, they just might get their wish.

Egypt style uprising anyone?

If Hudak becomes premier next fall, they just might get their wish.

I don't think it would happen. If it were, it would have to happen to every city in Ontario.

I find it silly that the right called Miller's term a "regime" (in a negative way) and yet it is the right proposing that the Mayor's vote is more powerful than all of the councilors.

Last edited:
^^ A little elitist no? Especially considering the overwhelming majority? I guess we've spent the last 7 months arguing that point.

I think it's a good idea. Given cities like NYC and Chicago both have a much stronger mayoralty system. Look at how beloved Daley and Bloomberg are.

Elitist? Wouldn't it be more elitist to grant dictatorial powers to one man so he can bypass the wishes of council who represent the city's constituents?

Toronto actually has a very strong mayoralty system.

The veto suggested by Ford is merely a desire to undermine democracy. If you don't get it, what he's asking for is the power to nullify the democratically-elected council.

I've pointed out a number of times that Doug Ford is the actual "mayor." Edsel would be helpless without him.

This is how Ford has utilized the power he does have...

Representatives from Toronto/East York District on his Executive Committee.....NONE!

Representatives from Toronto/East York District on his Budget Committee.....NONE!

Representatives from Toronto/East York District on his TTC Committee.....NONE!

This is so Mondo Beyondo, I'm....honestly lost for words.

You don't increase "power" to politicians, unless they can at least give the slightest hint that they can use it responsibly. I can't even see a Mike Harris worshiping, Blue Tory like Hudak agreeing to give Ford any such powers. But then again, we are living in interesting times.

Overwhelming majority? It's been proven again and again that a fair amount of people also voted against him. If anything, it's the namecallers who are elitist, stapling simplistic identities to others while basking on their own pedestals thinking that they're right.

If that's the case, then even more voted against Smitherman and Pantalone?

On another note, Doug Ford is runing for the provincial Tories come September.. Power hungry? I think so!

Veto power would be Fordo's dream come true. Check out his voting record from his years in council.....if there was a 40:2 vote, he was always among the 2.

If that's the case, then even more voted against Smitherman and Pantalone?

On another note, Doug Ford is runing for the provincial Tories come September.. Power hungry? I think so!

He doesn't look as hungry as his brother but I still can't imagine how much money that family spent on groceries every week.

And no, I can't resist the fat jokes.

Last edited:

Back