News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 456     0 

General railway discussions

Are they starting up at yard in Vaughan? Is the extra mileage and time really cheaper than keeping the old curve between the York and Uxbridge subs in service?

BTW, does any freight still move through Union Station? I've not seen any for a few years now. Though presumably it would happen in the middle of the night these days.

I have lost track of whether the roadswitcher comes from Mac Yard versus from Oshawa.

The old diamond was replaced (over a decade back) by an underpass to separate GO from CN. Given the grading required - the GO line runs in a fairly deep cut - the diamond would no longer be able to connect, even if anyone wanted that. It's a necessary change that has enabled hourly 2WAD service to Mount Joy.... except that at the moment.....

The significant reduction in local freight traffic in the east GTA means that the extra miles are probably not a big deal.

I don't believe there has been a freight train through the USRC in what - five years now?

- Paul

Flooding in Nova Scotia has impaired rail transport:

1690208894935.png

Source/Credit noted above.

Taken from the NYT.

A friend lives west of there in the Annapolis Valley and said it was pretty biblical. Between this being the only rail link out of the Halifax container terminal, and the strike on the west coast, pretty tough on our international commerce.

The old diamond was replaced (over a decade back) by an underpass to separate GO from CN. Given the grading required - the GO line runs in a fairly deep cut - the diamond would no longer be able to connect, even if anyone wanted that. It's a necessary change that has enabled hourly 2WAD service to Mount Joy.... except that at the moment.....
I wish I new what "moment" meant. That GO hasn't issued an end-date seems ominous.

Ah yes - it's not so much the new cut that's the issue, but that it remains in a cut to then pass under the 401. Though it doesn't look impossible to add a curve in the NW corner, though the hydro corridor and 407 corridor.

I have lost track of whether the roadswitcher comes from Mac Yard versus from Oshawa.
It's from Oshawa, and has been for some time. Previous to that, it was from Mimico before they moved all of the locals out to Oakville.

I don't believe there has been a freight train through the USRC in what - five years now?

- Paul
They certainly are not as regular as they used to be, but they are still run every once in a while when a special load needs to be sent across town. One of our mutual friends worked one about a year ago or so.

Dan

A friend lives west of there in the Annapolis Valley and said it was pretty biblical. Between this being the only rail link out of the Halifax container terminal, and the strike on the west coast, pretty tough on our international commerce.
there’s always Churchill :)

This was tweeted out today by the company.

On a semi-related note, I suspect there would be interest in a upgrade kit for switchers used at small industries. Sometimes they have a small switcher on site to move around freight cars between deliveries. Since they aren't used very often, a small, affordable battery would be sufficient and making the switch would save them from having to have diesel fuel trucked in (most industries need electricity anyway, so adding a charger would be relatively easy). The switcher could be plugged into a relatively slow charger when not in use. One would have to crunch the numbers, but there could be a decent economic case for this, especially when you consider reduced maintenance costs. Probably not a huge source of GHG emissions, but it seems like low hanging fruit.

Thoughts from those more in the know?

Thoughts from those more in the know?

As with automobiles, the question will be, how cheaply can they make the battery?
'
Even with reconditioning, the cost of a hand-me-down diesel for a grain elevator or small industry is still pretty cheap. The service life of those things is low compared to mainline diesels, so they never wear out. And a tank of diesel, while not cheap, lasts a fair while.

In theory, the idea of a battery loco used 2-3 times per week seems perfect for a solar panel charger. Switching is the perfect application for battery as energy is expended in short bursts but there is lots of braking, which might present opportunity to reclaim energy. Not expending energy during periods where the loco is idling has huge benefits in fuel savings, emissions, and better environment for the worker. Engines in switching service are not at all pleasant for the driver as (even with AC) fumes are not blown away.

- Paul

This was tweeted out today by the company.

I will bring forward their FAQ section which has details that may interest some:

1690482329749.png

1690482374930.png

1690482416535.png

1690482448550.png

Are they starting up at yard in Vaughan? Is the extra mileage and time really cheaper than keeping the old curve between the York and Uxbridge subs in service?

BTW, does any freight still move through Union Station? I've not seen any for a few years now. Though presumably it would happen in the middle of the night these days.
That job is based out of Oshawa yard,

Back