News   Aug 15, 2024
 385     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 593     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 715     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Not only that, aren't the lanes in the pilot project meant to be separated from car traffic (by means of parked cars), which should reduce the potential for conflict?

Precisely. It's irrational to assume that the stretches where protected infrastructure is constructed will see anything other than a reduction in injuries.

Now, the one exception to that statement considers the areas along the pilot where there is no protection—as with Richmond/Adelaide, for a variety of reasons (loading and delivery concerns, provisioning for emergency vehicles, left- and right-turns, width of block, etc.), there will be a number of places along the 2km stretch where there no physical protection is constructed. So if, as expected, the pilot sees a substantial uptick in the bicycle ridership along this stretch of Bloor, it's possible that we could see a commensurate uptick in accidents only where there will still remain no protection.

If that winds up being the case, you can bet your bottom dollar that the three councillors who voted against the pilot will be claiming that the pilot has been ineffective as an instrument of safety (not that they really care at all about safety of cyclists, but just insofar as they'll use it to try to prove their point).

Houston's nice this time of year.

It's a beautiful city. I mean, the Humber River can't even compare to the lovely cycling experience that Houston has to offer.

Screen shot 2015-10-12 at 9.47.56 PM.png

img_3792.jpg

Attachments

• img_3792.jpg
    img_3792.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen shot 2015-10-12 at 9.47.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-12 at 9.47.56 PM.png
    887.7 KB · Views: 318
Keep in mind that statistically riding a bike in Toronto is far more dangerous than being a pedestrian or driving a car. I know that serious car accidents happen all the time as do pedestrian accidents, but driving or walking are still a lot safer than riding a bike simply because the number of people who drive or walk are orders of magnitude higher.

That's a *raw* statistic (albeit still questionable, I'd like to know your reference). When *scaled* to a metric, like 'accident rate per distance traveled person', the result might and probably is quite different.

To put your claim in perspective: Vastly more people suffer serious head injuries from driving or being passengers in a vehicle than cyclists. Does it then follow that all motorists and passengers should be wearing helmets?

If there are more bike lanes which influence more people to bike, the risk of accidents may be high in the short term if people are only starting to get used to seeing cyclists and being aware/watching out for them. Once a city has become bike-friendly and people are very used to and familiar with cyclists, though I'd imagine then the risk of accident would go down long term and be lower than in a city where they're not used to cyclists and motorists sharing the road to begin with.

The City owns the Don Valley Golf Course. I think a multi-use trail, connecting to Earl Bales Park, would be a great first step. There are ways of making a multi-use trail through a golf course safe for everyone -- Hamilton does this through a municipal golf course to connect the Hamilton-Brantford trail through to Downtown, avoiding a dangerous section of Aberdeen Avenue by the TH&B/CP yards.
Hamilton is an outstanding city for cycling, much of that due to the rail-trails, and further to the short-cut you mention, it can also be used to connect to the Chedoke Trail to do a large circular route back to Ancaster, across the excellent roads to Dundas, and the loop is closed. Of course, there's no stretch to compare to the TH&B coming in from the west. It's a religious experience, especially after getting there from Port Dover or Cambridge by trail. Straight down to GO station and on a bus back. I'm drooling in anticipation of my next ride...

Denzil Minnan-Wong voted "yes" for the Bloor bicycle lanes. HOWEVER, his attitude towards the bicycle needs very close watching.

From this link.

Other councillors, while not philosophically opposed to the idea of bike lanes, have issues with the Bloor proposal.

Denzil Minnan-Wong isn't convinced Bloor Street is a suitable location and is concerned about bike lane "creep."

"Are there going to be bike lanes on Danforth next?" he asked reporters.

The Ward 34 councillor also wonders how, when the pilot project is over, it will be determined if the lanes should stay or not.

"The current proposal is a little short on creating clear parameters," Minnan-Wong said, although later he did say he would vote for the project with amendments.

Denzil Minnan-Wong gives me the "creeps". I think he is the "creep".

To answer his "question" about "Are there going to be bike lanes on Danforth next?", my answer is "I hope so!"

Last edited:
Denzil Minnan-Wong voted "yes" for the Bloor bicycle lanes. HOWEVER, his attitude towards the bicycle needs very close watching.

From this link.

Other councillors, while not philosophically opposed to the idea of bike lanes, have issues with the Bloor proposal.

Denzil Minnan-Wong isn't convinced Bloor Street is a suitable location and is concerned about bike lane "creep."

"Are there going to be bike lanes on Danforth next?" he asked reporters.

The Ward 34 councillor also wonders how, when the pilot project is over, it will be determined if the lanes should stay or not.

"The current proposal is a little short on creating clear parameters," Minnan-Wong said, although later he did say he would vote for the project with amendments.

Denzil Minnan-Wong gives me the "creeps". I think he is the "creep".

To answer his "question" about "Are there going to be bike lanes on Danforth next?", my answer is "I hope so!"
I agree, but even I have trepidations about doing lanes on Bloor, and I've been an avid supporter of lanes for decades. Give Wong the gong for voting yes, expressed concerns or not.

I'll say this: As someone who does incredible distance cycling for age and years of fighting cancer (fortunately Thyroid, I'm hyperactive, pays off this late in life) and recently returned to Toronto, many Toronto cyclists haven't a clue on road safety. I see it time and again, wearing helmets but thinking it makes them invulnerable as they fly through stop signs and traffic lights. And not a glance left or right, let alone behind them. And then they have the audacity to ting-a-ling their ridiculous metrosexual bells for me to get out of their way as they break the law, and worse, break decorum. Now I don't want to rant about that just for the sake of it, I blow them away on the straight sections, I know how to use my gears as well as muscles, they haven't a clue on such frivolities, but it *gets them into trouble* when they're not in the clear. On on most Toronto streets, esp main ones, you are *never* 'in the clear'. It's been years since I've been doored...because I presume every parked vehicle with someone in it could open that door in a second. And I'd best be ready to react in a split second, and know from constantly checking over my shoulder at any given moment if my best option is to *aim* for that person (You do not want to hit the door!) or swerve into the adjacent lane.

I see a lot of stupid cyclists doing truly stupid things. In Holland, Denmark, France...*in general* cyclists are more developed in their sense of protocol. Brits? Not so much. I've spent extensive time cycling there too, and many in the clubs are disciplined and aware, many of the hoi-polloi aren't. London is a nightmare.

And Toronto is not that much better. New York is *way ahead* in terms of decorum, albeit some areas are a battlefield, but New Yorkers in general are more relaxed about cyclists.

My fear is that this *isn't* going to work out on Bloor, and used as a weapon, as other posters have mentioned, to stifle the cause. I say "one block north or south if possible" for Bloor rather than right on it. Obviously that will be discontinous, but where possible, it always makes for a better way through. Due to the concerns of congestion, I always do that anyway, and can bomb along some of the sidestreets, whereas on Bloor itself...it's Russian Roulette.

If done, it has to be done right: Separate lanes *on the inside* of parking, not the outside. The US does it on the inside in many cities, especially in California, and it works very well. Mind you, San Diego is the only city I've been in where the traffic lights have sensors for the bike paths to change in your favour. Anyone grow a beard while waiting at Cherry and Lakeshore for the lights to change? Toronto will blame it on the inadequacies of cyclists (and there are many) when in fact it's the shortcomings of a third world cycling infrastructure.

I have concerns on Bloor St lanes. I suggest looking at alternatives that will work, not forcing the issue on those that won't.

I agree, but even I have trepidations about doing lanes on Bloor, and I've been an avid supporter of lanes for decades. Give Wong the gong for voting yes, expressed concerns or not.

I'll say this: As someone who does incredible distance cycling for age and years of fighting cancer (fortunately Thyroid, I'm hyperactive, pays off this late in life) and recently returned to Toronto, many Toronto cyclists haven't a clue on road safety. I see it time and again, wearing helmets but thinking it makes them invulnerable as they fly through stop signs and traffic lights. And not a glance left or right, let alone behind them. And then they have the audacity to ting-a-ling their ridiculous metrosexual bells for me to get out of their way as they break the law, and worse, break decorum. Now I don't want to rant about that just for the sake of it, I blow them away on the straight sections, I know how to use my gears as well as muscles, they haven't a clue on such frivolities, but it *gets them into trouble* when they're not in the clear. On on most Toronto streets, esp main ones, you are *never* 'in the clear'. It's been years since I've been doored...because I presume every parked vehicle with someone in it could open that door in a second. And I'd best be ready to react in a split second, and know from constantly checking over my shoulder at any given moment if my best option is to *aim* for that person (You do not want to hit the door!) or swerve into the adjacent lane.

I see a lot of stupid cyclists doing truly stupid things. In Holland, Denmark, France...*in general* cyclists are more developed in their sense of protocol. Brits? Not so much. I've spent extensive time cycling there too, and many in the clubs are disciplined and aware, many of the hoi-polloi aren't. London is a nightmare.

And Toronto is not that much better. New York is *way ahead* in terms of decorum, albeit some areas are a battlefield, but New Yorkers in general are more relaxed about cyclists.

My fear is that this *isn't* going to work out on Bloor, and used as a weapon, as other posters have mentioned, to stifle the cause. I say "one block north or south if possible" for Bloor rather than right on it. Obviously that will be discontinous, but where possible, it always makes for a better way through. Due to the concerns of congestion, I always do that anyway, and can bomb along some of the sidestreets, whereas on Bloor itself...it's Russian Roulette.

If done, it has to be done right: Separate lanes *on the inside* of parking, not the outside. The US does it on the inside in many cities, especially in California, and it works very well. Mind you, San Diego is the only city I've been in where the traffic lights have sensors for the bike paths to change in your favour. Anyone grow a beard while waiting at Cherry and Lakeshore for the lights to change? Toronto will blame it on the inadequacies of cyclists (and there are many) when in fact it's the shortcomings of a third world cycling infrastructure.

I have concerns on Bloor St lanes. I suggest looking at alternatives that will work, not forcing the issue on those that won't.
The vote was to put in lanes FOR ONE YEAR to test them out. They may not work as many people hope they will (and as I do) but by doing a test we will find out.

Danforth is significantly wider than Bloor - bike lanes shouldn't be a huge issue - you can fit 2 lanes PLUS parking in some spots, and even when you can't, the lanes and sidewalks are quite wide.

I bet you could get separated bike lanes and 4 lanes in most places, without too much trouble.

Post reference.

Here's the Toronto Public Health report from a year ago.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/hl/bgrd/backgroundfile-81601.pdf

"On average, there were 2074 pedestrians and 1097 cyclists who were injured or died as a result of a collision with a motor vehicle per year in Toronto between 2008 and 2012."

The report does not state what the accident rates per km are for pedestrians and bikes, but since the number of pedestrians is far greater than the number of cyclists, I think we can easily conclude that bicycling is more dangerous even though there are more pedestrian accidents than bike accidents. Looking at the census and seeing what % ride bikes to work versus driving, walking and TTC is a good indicator.

I have a hard time believing that bicycling is a safe method of transportation. Also I am tired of seeing bikes ride on the sidewalk and narrowly avoiding hitting me while I am walking and I am tired of seeing bicyclists go through red lights and stop signs. I realize that there are lot of bad drivers but bicyclists seem to break road rules far more than other road users (particularly biking on the sidewalk). I am mostly a TTC user and pedestrian and don't own a car (though I do use car sharing occasionally).

Sounds to me like we should ban pedestrians and bikes if we want to save lives! Other reports have shown that the death rate for cycling does exceed that for pedestrians - however both exceed the death rates for cars.

Back