Garrison Point (Diamondcorp/Cityzen/Fernbrook) - Real Estate -

Oh apologies. I missed your previous post, didn't read carefully enough. I am glad they are sharing this with all owners whether moved in or not.

Quite alarming that upon investigation intentional vandalism is suspected. This occurred about 3 am on 4 Feb. and we became aware of it as the fire alarm sounded and the Toronto fire department responded very quickly I might add. Not sure if they discovered the leak immediately, the alarm was considered a false alarm and we went back to sleep. It appears to me that most damage has occurred to upper floor units on the west side of the building below the 25th floor water pipe (Sprinkler) burst. I cannot speak to those units that are below the 5th floor. We were very fortunate as the water did not enter our unit which is an 07 unit on the 18th in the centre of the NE facing view. However, water had saturated the carpet right up to our front door (it was soaking wet), and has also damaged the units immediately adjacent to us to the west, 06 and 05. The past week there have been large industrial dryers and pumps drying the hallway and also the units I mentioned. Today, work has begun on remedial efforts in the hallway and units affected on our floor. I do not know what it is like on floors above or below us. I had intended to write more about the experience of the first few weeks living here (mostly positive) but I thought this would be more important information to convey to owners who are about to or have received occupancy but not yet moved.
Just found out. I m 20/f. The floor was soaking wet and and already trimmed out for repair.

Few of my neighbours already vacated their units and they are currently staying in hotel.
Do you know if we will still be paying monthly occupancy fees? Not sure if it will be waived from the builder or we should claim it through our personal insurance.
Does the insurance cover occupancy fees due to damages caused by vandalism?

Few of my neighbours already vacated their units and they are currently staying in hotel.
Do you know if we will still be paying monthly occupancy fees? Not sure if it will be waived from the builder or we should claim it through our personal insurance.
Does the insurance cover occupancy fees due to damages caused by vandalism?
Thats insane, how bad was the damage? Does anyone have pictures?

Oh I've got this notice in email alright. Thanks for iterating this though.

Thats insane, how bad was the damage? Does anyone have pictures?
Hi. The builders are fixing all damage as the building is not yet registered according to property management. However, any damage to personal articles (contents) has to be claimed through the residents' insurance, including living costs in a hotel if the unit is not habitable during repairs. For the units affected, my understanding is that damage varies from extensive to slight, depending on proximity to the flooded floors and the amount of water that entered the unit. I feel very much for those who had moved in, pretty much unpacked, and then either have damage to possessions or basically must repack and vacate in order for the builder to complete repairs. Our unit escaped this fate by a whisker (and a miracle) as, I think I mentioned, the units immediately adjacent to us were affected although one is still vacant. We had pretty much completed our unpacking by the time of the flood (we had moved in 6 days prior), the prospect of having to repack, move out and move back in again is the thing of nightmares.

ACC173, as to your questions, I think only your insurance company can answer those together with your lawyer. I would ask them. I am a lawyer but not a real estate lawyer so I wouldn't hazard to guess. If this was deliberate vandalism, I hope the authorities are able to locate the perpetrator(s). There are cameras on the elevators so perhaps that should help. I know that there are a few units on the 5th floor, but it is mostly amenities. I don't believe current residents can access those floors, and again, although not sure, I don't believe anyone has moved into those units, based on seeing none available for rent. If access to that floor is restricted from current residents, I hope that should assist them in directing any investigation. I have attached a couple of pictures of the hallway outside our door. Bear in mind that we are 7 floors below 25th floor leak. No idea what it is like on floor 5 or the floors below.
IMG_20210214_145449.jpg
IMG_20210214_143758.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. The builders are fixing all damage as the building is not yet registered according to property management. However, any damage to personal articles (contents) has to be claimed through the residents' insurance, including living costs in a hotel if the unit is not habitable during repairs. For the units affected, my understanding is that damage varies from extensive to slight, depending on proximity to the flooded floors and the amount of water that entered the unit. I feel very much for those who had moved in, pretty much unpacked, and then either have damage to possessions or basically must repack and vacate in order for the builder to complete repairs. Our unit escaped this fate by a whisker (and a miracle) as, I think I mentioned, the units immediately adjacent to us were affected although one is still vacant. We had pretty much completed our unpacking by the time of the flood (we had moved in 6 days prior), the prospect of having to repack, move out and move back in again is the thing of nightmares.

ACC173, as to your questions, I think only your insurance company can answer those together with your lawyer. I would ask them. I am a lawyer but not a real estate lawyer so I wouldn't hazard to guess. If this was deliberate vandalism, I hope the authorities are able to locate the perpetrator(s). There are cameras on the elevators so perhaps that should help. I know that there are a few units on the 5th floor, but it is mostly amenities. I don't believe current residents can access those floors, and again, although not sure, I don't believe anyone has moved into those units, based on seeing none available for rent. If access to that floor is restricted from current residents, I hope that should assist them in directing any investigation. I have attached a couple of pictures of the hallway outside our door. Bear in mind that we are 7 floors below 25th floor leak. No idea what it is like on floor 5 or the floors below.View attachment 299983View attachment 299984
Wow, Im sorry to those who had to go through that, must be frustrating. Appericate the additional context + images.

I know that if you request to join the Facebook group for this building, a lot of the tenants are discussing the matter of insurance and compensation. Allegedly, the builder is not responsible for reimbursing tenants if they had to move out of the unit due to the damage and they are allegedly in their right to continue to charge occupancy fees. I believe some of the tenants are taking it up with the lawyers to see if any type of class action suit could or should be initiated. But again this is all the back and forth ramble that is going on in the Facebook group.

@joftor the floors are unfortunately accessible through the stairs, which I believe need to be accessible for safety reasons, as we were able to go view the party room and walk around to see the status of the building and floors. So it is possible for residents to access all floors of the building that way, the elevators are restrictive of what floors can be accessed though ( they currently have it that 2 are for the residents use and 2 for construction use)

Building is coming a long nicely though, it's too bad they had this set back with the water damage.

I know that if you request to join the Facebook group for this building, a lot of the tenants are discussing the matter of insurance and compensation. Allegedly, the builder is not responsible for reimbursing tenants if they had to move out of the unit due to the damage and they are allegedly in their right to continue to charge occupancy fees. I believe some of the tenants are taking it up with the lawyers to see if any type of class action suit could or should be initiated. But again this is all the back and forth ramble that is going on in the Facebook group.

@joftor the floors are unfortunately accessible through the stairs, which I believe need to be accessible for safety reasons, as we were able to go view the party room and walk around to see the status of the building and floors. So it is possible for residents to access all floors of the building that way, the elevators are restrictive of what floors can be accessed though ( they currently have it that 2 are for the residents use and 2 for construction use)

Building is coming a long nicely though, it's too bad they had this set back with the water damage.

Where is this Facebook group exactly? Name please.

Name of the group is "Garrison Point/Playground Condos Residents & Owners" , you have to request and one of the administrators will accept your request to join.

Back