News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

G&M on the "Madrid Miracle"

I don't think the TTC subway map will look noticeably different in 2016.

The Madrid map appears to be mostly, if not all subway lines.

The hollow lines that are named "ML (light metro)" are LRT, but even without them it is quite impressive.

Even if SOS's plan was finished in its entirety by 2016 (which is impossible) we'd still be way behind Madrid.

that map doesn't quite do toronto justice, since half of madrid's subways are underground lrts, and the madrid map is a 2016 map, if you put in all the transit city, drl and subway extensions planned, toronto wouldn't look half bad, and also if the downtown streetcar lines were put in.

that map doesn't quite do toronto justice, since half of madrid's subways are underground lrts, and the madrid map is a 2016 map, if you put in all the transit city, drl and subway extensions planned, toronto wouldn't look half bad, and also if the downtown streetcar lines were put in.

No they're not. They're subways, all underground. The only thing that is light rail are the hollow lines, and some of them run underground as well.

494px-Madrid_Metro_2008-2011.svg.png

Madrid 2009 isn't that much different afterall.;)

uh hmm... MetroLigaro (Madrid's tram system) is actually genuine rapid RT, with limited stops unlike here TTC's streetcars. Even Spadina and Queensway are outclassed by the worst services from Madrid's tram system. Trans-hype City would be a mix of "Euro-inspired" LRT with shoddiness of Queen St. Streetcars. Downtown streetcars, are lousy in my experience, still to this day.

What I see to match Madrid in coverage, is this. DRL, if combined with Jane + Don Mills' LRT route, and resurrection of Queen St. Subway would actually leave Toronto with seamless solid downtown coverage. Add Eglinton Subway (from Renforth/Airport to STC, possibly Kingston), replace SRT with extension of B/D (and maybe extend to Malvern), complete YUS loop and finish Shep subway line, it actually makes a lot of Euro cities feel nervous, and put Chicago to shame. Fix St. Clair and extend all the way from its west end to the east end; a complete waterfront LRT from Long Branch to Leslie St. On top of that, I would love to see Finch West LRT being replaced with a subway.

Haha, I don't think I could have underestimated a name like MetroLiargo.

I don't think that all those extensions would make some Euro cities feel nervous, especially not the likes of Madrid, London or Paris. But we'd certainly be catching up. Combine that with true LRT/BRT routes along Highway 7, Hurontario, Dundas, and Main/King and James/Upper James in Hamilton and the GGH map could actually look pretty impressive. I'm still not sure about Finch West being replaced by subway, but a Finch hydro corridor regional route could provide the same RT coverage, while also going as far as Malvern and Oakville (potentially.)

Haha, I don't think I could have underestimated a name like MetroLiargo.

I don't think that all those extensions would make some Euro cities feel nervous, especially not the likes of Madrid, London or Paris. But we'd certainly be catching up. Combine that with true LRT/BRT routes along Highway 7, Hurontario, Dundas, and Main/King and James/Upper James in Hamilton and the GGH map could actually look pretty impressive. I'm still not sure about Finch West being replaced by subway, but a Finch hydro corridor regional route could provide the same RT coverage, while also going as far as Malvern and Oakville (potentially.)

In addition to that, I think Steeles could use some transit upgrades, like LRT/BRT. Being known as worst road in Ontario, what couldn't be better than improving its traffic flow with enhanced rapid transit along its corridor. Dundas could extend full its network throughout the entire street as well rather than just terminating at Hurontario.

No they're not. They're subways, all underground. The only thing that is light rail are the hollow lines, and some of them run underground as well.

494px-Madrid_Metro_2008-2011.svg.png

Madrid 2009 isn't that much different afterall.;)

I understand that, my family lives in Madrid, and i'm not downplaying their amazing system, but what we tend to think of here as subway are the wide subway trains we have here, when in fact the eglinton lrt throughout central part of toronto would be very similar to a few of the subway lines in Madrid, I believe line 2 the red one that goes to puerta del sol (which btw jsut opened an amazing cercanias connection all underground!), i remember taking that line last year, and the trains were very similar to LRT and very narrow. And many of the other lines like line 10 has larger trains but they are still essentailly LRTs prety much just longer and a bit wider, I remember the ones on line 10 you could walk all the way through the whole train.

As well, when my family comes to Toronto to visit form spain, they are always impressed by how clean and new looking our subway system is, and they think our subway trains look really nice....dunno what subway trains they were looking at lol, but if they like em great i guess haha.

Last edited:
In addition to that, I think Steeles could use some transit upgrades, like LRT/BRT. Being known as worst road in Ontario, what couldn't be better than improving its traffic flow with enhanced rapid transit along its corridor. Dundas could extend full its network throughout the entire street as well rather than just terminating at Hurontario.

I also second that steeles could use some lrt or brt, especially when the yonge and spadina lines both cross steeles it would be a great way to help tie both lines together, it is far enough south from highway 7 and far enough north from finch to be very useful.

and here's a link comparing the size of different subway systems around the world, they are all to the same scale.
http://www.fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/

Last edited:
I also second that steeles could use some lrt or brt, especially when the yonge and spadina lines both cross steeles it would be a great way to help tie both lines together, it is far enough south from highway 7 and far enough north from finch to be very useful.

and here's a link comparing the size of different subway systems around the world, they are all to the same scale.
http://www.fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/

Eventually all the major cross-arteries would recieve crosstown BRT services that don't just end at Yonge or an arbitrary point (Finch LRT stopping at Don Mills anyone? At least make it directly interace with Seneca). Anything carrying over 50, 000 riders per day is a given.

Back