News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 9.6K     10 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

Our building has got the 'Business Continuity Planning' thingy going full blast. Saw some 'protestors' outside Scotia Plaza practicing while headed home on the 504 limo the other day. It's like being inside one of UrbanShocker's favourite operas -- dress rehearsals start in a couple of weeks, sweeties!

Nixon In China meets Les Miz?

I could see John Adams and Peggy ( The Handmaid's Tale ) Atwood coming up with something along those lines.

My apologies. I was responding/goading due to your earlier posts in the thread, not noticing that you were also the last poster. Your latest post was both sensible and an articulate defense of the viewpoint that this might actually be kind of cool, despite the negatives.

I actually hadn't even realized I had posted in this thread before (it was like 5 months ago). I still stand behind what I said, though i don't really care to debate it now (what's said is said and it's an old debate in my mind now).

Some people are such whiners. Embrace this! It's the largest gathering of global leaders that exists on our planet. The leaders of Earth are in our city! We should feel lucky to experience it once in our lifetimes.

We should feel lucky to experience it once in our lifetimes.
Lucky us ... hopefully some whacko doesn't decide to set off a dirty nuke on a GO Train as it passes right by the convention site, during a Blue Jays game.

It's not the right place for this.

The leaders of Earth are in our city! We should feel lucky to experience it once in our lifetimes.

Indeed. After passing through the five barbed wire perimeters and flashing my Canadian passport at the black helicoptors, I can't wait to shake hands with those glorious paragons of democratic values Hu Jintao, King Abdullah I of Saudi Arabia and Dmitry Medvedev. Who cares is a few dirty hippies think global corporatization is an economic, environmental and social disaster? Once the populace sees how shiny is the boot in their face, they will be dazzled and beg to submit to the new order.

Indeed. After passing through the five barbed wire perimeters and flashing my Canadian passport at the black helicoptors, I can't wait to shake hands with those glorious paragons of democratic values Hu Jintao, King Abdullah I of Saudi Arabia and Dmitry Medvedev. Who cares is a few dirty hippies think global corporatization is an economic, environmental and social disaster? Once the populace sees how shiny is the boot in their face, they will be dazzled and beg to submit to the new order.

Nice. Couldn't you have fit in a 'fascist', a 'proletariat', and a 'social justice'? Otherwise, that was a great ironic subversion of the empty twaddle the protesters use to justify their violence... unless you were serious.

(heavy sarcasm) Toronto really doesn't any "world" events. We are quite happy the way we are. Another floor went up on the Trump building today. What's the latest on the bike lane on University Ave.

How could I have been so blind to the conspiracy? Turns out I'm nothing but a pawn! We're all nothing but pawns! Now I see! I finally SEE! And it's all thanks to you.

Last edited:
Have they still not announced the exact perimeter of the fences? I want to know if where I'm moving on Friday is going to be within it.

No Blue Jays Games During G20 Summit

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...els-Games-100511/20100511/?hub=TorontoNewHome
The long-awaited return of former Blue Jays pitcher Roy Halladay has been scuttled because of security concerns stemming from the G20 summit.

The Blue Jays said Tuesday that the three game inter-league series with the Phillies, which was to take place at Rogers Centre from June 25 to June 27, had been moved to Philadelphia.

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig said the move was the result of discussions with the Jays, G20 organizers and Toronto city officials.

"After reviewing all of the options with the parties and taking all of the security considerations into account, it was determined that the best course of action is to play the series in Philadelphia," Selig said in an MLB press release.

"Doc" Halladay was the Jays' first pick in the 1995 MLB draft. He played for the Jays from 1998 to 2009 and became one of the sport's most celebrated pitchers. Halladay captured the Cy Young award in 2003.

The series with Philadelphia would have been the first opportunity for local fans to see Halladay up close since he was moved to the Phillies as part of a three-team trade last December.

Rogers Sports Entertainment chief Paul Beeston said that the decision was not taken "lightly" by Jays' management.

"We did not want to move the games but in looking at the realities of this situation, we felt that relocation was the most prudent course of action," he said in a release.

The G20 Summit will take over Toronto's downtown core and take place at the Metro Toronto Convention Center. The Rogers Centre is within a pre-determined security zone for the event.

MLB said that despite the venue change, the Jays will still be considered the home team.

^ they should have just moved it to that nice little minor league park in Ottawa.....at least then they could have sold it to Canadian fans as a Blue Jays road show.

Back