News   Apr 24, 2024
 949     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 618     0 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

If the G20 comes to Toronto, maybe the best place to have it is on a temporary site on the Toronto Islands, cut off from the rest of the city. The dignitaries fly into the Island Airport, stay on the islands for the entire meeting, and then fly off without causing much inconvenience for the rest of the city.

They are skipping Huntsville because Deerhurst doesn't have enough rooms. Where do you expect the leaders to stay on the Islands? Obama in a cottage on Wards Island?

Toronto G20

This is some exciting stuff - a fantastic opportunity to highlight the Toronto Region to the world.

I predict that the Welcome, and Opening Ceremony will probably take place at the Four Seasons Centre.

The actual G20 session will probably take place at the new All Steam Centre at Ex Place and will be very easy to secure.

Official class photo can take place in front of the Princes' Gate.

Louroz

I can't remember seeing much of the cities that have hosted this in the past in the news other than the front lines where police with water canons are. Maybe you should push for it to be hosted at the Hershey Centre.

When we hosted the G7 in the '80s where was it?

I can't remember where the meetings were but I know that Maggie Thatcher stayed at the King Eddie......at the time I worked on Toronto Street and the south end of the street was blocked off every time she entered or exited the hotel.

imagine how much this is going to cost in security. what's the point of these summits anyway? can't they just do videoconferencing?

imagine how much this is going to cost in security. what's the point of these summits anyway? can't they just do videoconferencing?

But then how could they do the group photograph? Sorry, but that's the most important part of these summits. (It really is)

Just as one factor, the security costs. For recent recent Olympics they have been around a billion. Watching the news to day, Korea had 10,000 police out for the Obama visit.

Given that we have 6 months to go or less, and Toronto has not been officially contacted yet, one question is whether it will even be held in Canada. This could be quite embarrassing.

But then how could they do the group photograph? Sorry, but that's the most important part of these summits. (It really is)

LOL! i was thinking the exact same thing. just photoshop it!

Toronto is on a roll!

World Pride, Pan Am Games and now the G20!

Things are finally looking up for this Toronto!

Next Up the Olympics in 2024!

Louroz

If the G20 comes to Toronto, maybe the best place to have it is on a temporary site on the Toronto Islands, cut off from the rest of the city. The dignitaries fly into the Island Airport, stay on the islands for the entire meeting (...)

The beginning of "Enter the Dragon" is playing in my mind... oh, and that song. :rolleyes:

The inevitable TV pictures of complacent world leaders behind barbed wire, and surrounded by hoards of demonstrators won't give our city good publicity.

Did anybody in our city invite Harper here? He couldn't get any of his candidates elected here. Now after his Minister of Finance, Jim Flaherty bankrupts us when he was under Mike Harris, he calls for an event which will cost us millions in policing, and disruption of business.

I hope there is some compensation to Toronto for that.

Back