News   Aug 14, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 763     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 579     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

Mount Weather.

Seriously, a functioning democracy (not convinced the US is one anymore but lets go with it) needs to transition its representative power in public, or at least visible to it via video. If it is done in secret, those that chose to disrupt democracy win a victory. Ya gotta know the joint security task force is working late nights, going through lots of coffee and will have some seriously disrupted sleep until Wednesday. The site will make the G20 security look like summer camp.

That's also why you need Trump (better yet, Ivanka) to be there at Inauguration - as collateral.

AoD

I see in this morning's news that multiple states have responded to DC's request for NG troops. Some have not due to concerns of protests in their state capitals.

I see in this morning's news that multiple states have responded to DC's request for NG troops. Some have not due to concerns of protests in their state capitals.

Hence why someone should invoke the insurrection act.

The National Guard while similar is very distinct from the US Army in that the US Military is not allowed to perform law enforcement duties or use military equipment on US soil against Americans.

If they invoke the insurrection act all that changes and the military can drive tanks right up to the steps of the Capitol Building.

Air Force One is the safest place to do it.

If the protestors want to disrupt the inauguration by force there will be no way to prevent the president from being sworn in on Air Force One short of surface to air missiles or fighter jets. If the protestors have either one of those we have bigger issues.
Killing Biden would just make Harris president.

Hence why someone should invoke the insurrection act.

The National Guard while similar is very distinct from the US Army in that the US Military is not allowed to perform law enforcement duties or use military equipment on US soil against Americans.

If they invoke the insurrection act all that changes and the military can drive tanks right up to the steps of the Capitol Building.

I refer back to my original, and perhaps inaccurate or incomplete understanding of the Act, where I don't see any authority to enact it preemptively. Recent history make suggest something may happen, but it hasn't - yet.

The NG is not that distinct from the US Army. It is a bureau under the Department of Defense. Although the Act invokes an exception to their Posse Comitatus Act, I don't see their deployment as performing domestic law enforcement; they are securing federal property. The Army National Guard has over 450,000 members. That, along with the multitude of District and federal law enforcement agencies should be able to cover it. Tanks on the street might be cool visual in other countries, but I fail to see how they have any role in crowd control.

I refer back to my original, and perhaps inaccurate or incomplete understanding of the Act, where I don't see any authority to enact it preemptively. Recent history make suggest something may happen, but it hasn't - yet.

The NG is not that distinct from the US Army. It is a bureau under the Department of Defense. Although the Act invokes an exception to their Posse Comitatus Act, I don't see their deployment as performing domestic law enforcement; they are securing federal property. The Army National Guard has over 450,000 members. That, along with the multitude of District and federal law enforcement agencies should be able to cover it. Tanks on the street might be cool visual in other countries, but I fail to see how they have any role in crowd control.

Tanks, troops and other military equipment on the streets of DC would send a very powerful message to anyone looking to cause problems.

Country bumpkins with a rifle and Confederate flag may not be concerned about pushing around a cop but they will think twice about pushing an armed solider standing in front of an M1A2 Abrams that just so happens to be pointed towards the protestors.

The insurrection act has to be invoked prior to the deployment of troops. I'm not an expert but given all the chatter in recent days they probably would have ample grounds to do so.

Tanks, troops and other military equipment on the streets of DC would send a very powerful message to anyone looking to cause problems.

Country bumpkins with a rifle and Confederate flag may not be concerned about pushing around a cop but they will think twice about pushing an armed solider standing in front of an M1A2 Abrams that just so happens to be pointed towards the protestors.

The insurrection act has to be invoked prior to the deployment of troops. I'm not an expert but given all the chatter in recent days they probably would have ample grounds to do so.

Do you *really* want the outgoing President to invoke the Insurrection Act due to insurrections he himself encouraged - actively or tacitly?

As a decoy?

No, like I said - as collateral - it puts the outgoing power in a position where safety and security of the event matters to him/her.

AoD

This is the section that is a precursor to invoking the authority under the statute:

Sec. 334. Proclamation to disperse
Whenever the President considers it necessary to use the militia or the armed forces under this chapter, he shall, by proclamation, immediately order the insurgents or those obstructing the enforcement of the laws to disperse and retire peaceably to their abodes within a limited time.

Who's he going to read it to? The only people assembled there right now are the NG, police and federal agents.

As I said, a tank in a crowd control setting is nothing more than a large, expensive barricade that wrecked the road getting there. If protesters manage to get by the wall of police/NG, what is it realistically going to do - open fire? Cool for dictators to have for parades.

Cool for dictators to have for parades.

Which Trump had on multiple occasions said he wanted - for himself. He got the idea after salivating at Macron's Bastille Day parades I believe. He also wanted a military ceremony for his departure from DC as well - but DoD said Nyet to it.

Bonespur has some odd fetish over masculine military power - to compensate for his own avoidance of the call to serve, I suppose?

AoD

Last edited:

And what message would that be? "Tiananmen Square was amateur hour"?

Between the plague and this, you sure like extreme reactions to relatively minor crises. Do you play a lot of strategy games? I feel like you play Axis and Allies as either the Soviets or Nazis. 😜

You had half the US on fire last summer and no tanks in sight. Why now?

Where did you get tanks as crowd control anyway?

Back