News   Aug 15, 2024
 281     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 455     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 620     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

She's still a corporatist. Expect Obamacare to be struck down. There is a case beginning oral arguments on Nov 10.

The abortion access will probably take the form of death of a thousand cuts to access, and not overturning Roe. And being a federal judge is about aligning with SCOTUS precedent, vs setting it.

If Roe v Wade is reversed, which will take an action to work its way to the top. it will return the abortion issue back to the individual states, which will likely mean a return to a patchwork of shifting laws.

Another update piece on Pt. Roberts Washington, the isolated US enclave within Canada.

Apparently it has lost about 25% of its permanent population (From 1,200 to 900) and most of its retail businesses.

It seems an economy based solely on cross-border shopping is vulnerable.

If Roe v Wade is reversed, which will take an action to work its way to the top. it will return the abortion issue back to the individual states, which will likely mean a return to a patchwork of shifting laws.

It seems an economy based solely on cross-border shopping is vulnerable.

To be fair, not solely; though the 5 gas stations for 1,200 residents (6,000 in summer) might seem excessive otherwise.

But that seasonal population, many American, using Pt Roberts as cottage country are also crucial.

Canada, however, has deemed visiting one's cottage, non-essential travel, so that's a problem for a community relying on that.

RvW is precedent, where the court cannot easily undo what the same court already decided.

The whole abortion debate in the US is insane. In Canada we have zero abortion laws, and AIUI the numbers have not jumped since the laws were abandoned. If the US had no abortion laws whatsoever it would not lead to massive increases, IMO.

RvW is precedent, where the court cannot easily undo what the same court already decided.

The whole abortion debate in the US is insane. In Canada we have zero abortion laws, and AIUI the numbers have not jumped since the laws were abandoned. If the US had no abortion laws whatsoever it would not lead to massive increases, IMO.

I'm certainly no expert on US jurisprudence, but RvW was decided that the originating state law violated their constitutional privacy (of the appellant) provisions. There are many other constitutional issues that could be raised provided that they make materially different arguments. It doesn't not mean that the issue of abortion cannot be raised again; in fact, the 'abortion' aspect likely played a small part of the argument, it could have easily been the state attempting to ban the appellant from obtaining a tonsillectomy. Simply by way of example, our impaired driving laws have been to the Supreme Court so many times I imagine every single word has been parsed by now. But each trip up the hill made an argument sufficiently different to compel the Court to hear the case.
Also, stare decisis is an uncodified principal at common law that higher courts, particularly the highest court, are free to apply as they see fit. Moreso up here where the Charter is accepted as a 'living document', whereas in the US that concept is less firmly held.

Biden should refuse the next 2 debates. It's a shit show with Trump running around like a baby. The moderator was useless. Cut his bloody mic off. A complete disgrace. I have no clue what "Proud boys stand back, stand by" means.

If they had debates at the end of the Roman Empire, they likely went something like what we saw today.

😂
Should we increase taxes to pay for increased military and defences against the barbarians or continue as is and be plundered?

Garrison Keillor had this to say about the Roman Empire's collapse:
Garrison Keillor said:
It was luxuries like air conditioning that brought down the Roman Empire. With air conditioning their windows were shut, they couldn't hear the barbarians coming.

Let me paraphrase Keillor regarding the collapse of the United States:

It was luxuries like brain implants that brought down the United States. With brain implants their eyes were shut mesmerized by images displayed in the head, they couldn't see COVID-19 coming.

Last edited:
Biden should refuse the next 2 debates. It's a shit show with Trump running around like a baby. The moderator was useless. Cut his bloody mic off. A complete disgrace. I have no clue what "Proud boys stand back, stand by" means.
Disagree. Biden benefited from this debate, the Sleepy Joe moniker is dead. Biden should declare that he’ll do the next one, but only with a commitment that rules will be respected. If they’re not, the third debate is off.

Canadian political debates often leave much to be desired. Some candidates are more vapid than one might hope, some questions more inane; and insufficient time is often afforded to meaningfully discuss detailed issues.

But as a comparative to what happened tonight; Canadian debates are Oxford-worthy showcases of political genius.

Holy @#$^ was that shameful.

Trump was Trump.........little need to elaborate.

But Biden didn't shine.

With any luck, Biden will put off a win anyways; the impact of debates is invariably exaggerated.

But...wow.

Be honest if Biden wins he should just retire after 2-3 years and let Kamala take over.

Biden is not being elected President for being a good candidate, he just is see as what the democrats think is the best way to defeat trump.

Be honest if Biden wins he should just retire after 2-3 years and let Kamala take over.
Biden can retire in March 2021 for all I care, he has one job. Toss Trump to the curb.

But then who gets to be VP? Can Kamala choose anyone she wants? AOC! Lol?

Last edited:
Disagree. Biden benefited from this debate, the Sleepy Joe moniker is dead. Biden should declare that he’ll do the next one, but only with a commitment that rules will be respected. If they’re not, the third debate is off.

I don't know, I feel like Trump dragged Joe into this mess where people are now saying they bot had weak debates. They're lumping Joe's performance with Trump's. I agree that Joe should only come back to debate after some changes are made. Cut Trump's mic off!

Back