News   Jul 16, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 612     2 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

That's hardly a Canadian league (i.e. something approaching coast-to-coast), and as far as I know Intercounty players get paid little or nothing.
So what? That does not make them any less. We had a CBL and it failed.
In terms of what?

Crime. Not as bad as the US but bad enough to be the worst here. This was in the news.

Based on TV money alone, a Toronto NFL team would at least break even, but that's not the point.
Exactly. This is about money at the end of the day.

Name these 4 non-Rogers groups, or I'm calling you a liar. And don't give me that Ford quote saying there are four groups.

I'm giving you the Ford quote, and that's all you get!

Both cities are or were just as bad as Detroit and Buffalo within the last 15 years.

Well he is. The NHL is based in New York and has had more american teams for over 40 years, yet he claims its a canadian league? Bullshit. He wants people to support the CFL, and I don't feel you have to support something just because its from your country. There were 4 non rogers group. If Rogers was taken out, I have no doubt those people if they owned the team would make money.

You're a real piece of work, you know that? When you start to realize that you're wrong, throw a tantrum and call people names. Nice. I dindn't say that the NHL is Canadian. I said that because of its Canadian roots and strong Canadian presence, the NHL having teams here isn't comparable to the NFL expanding here. Big difference.

Winnipeg isn't even remotely close to being as bad as Detroit or Buffalo in terms of crime, urban decay, or depopulation. But even if it were, you'd still be missing the point.

As for the CFL, the NFL benefits from a strong CFL. A strong CFL means more football fans which means more NFL fans in Canada. The NFL knows how to make money, and messing with a free source of fans isn't the way to do it. And if you think the Canadian baseball league is/was in any way comparable to the CFL, then I don't know what else to say.

You're a real piece of work, you know that? When you start to realize that you're wrong, throw a tantrum and call people names. Nice. I dindn't say that the NHL is Canadian. I said that because of its Canadian roots and strong Canadian presence, the NHL having teams here isn't comparable to the NFL expanding here. Big difference.

Winnipeg isn't even remotely close to being as bad as Detroit or Buffalo in terms of crime, urban decay, or depopulation. But even if it were, you'd still be missing the point.

As for the CFL, the NFL benefits from a strong CFL. A strong CFL means more football fans which means more NFL fans in Canada. The NFL knows how to make money, and messing with a free source of fans isn't the way to do it. And if you think the Canadian baseball league is/was in any way comparable to the CFL, then I don't know what else to say.

I'm not throwing a tandrum.

So you have proof for this. That it provides more fans even though many CFL fans claim its a different game. And would the NHL still have a strong presence if Calgary, EDM and Van had left for the states? No. Besides the NHL have teams there is comparable to having an NFL team here.

I'm not throwing a tandrum.

So you have proof for this. That it provides more fans even though many CFL fans claim its a different game. And would the NHL still have a strong presence if Calgary, EDM and Van had left for the states? No. Besides the NHL have teams there is comparable to having an NFL team here.

I gotta side with the "NFL here and NHL here being not comparable" side of this discussion.

Think of it this way....if all of the Canadian based NHL teams were gone (either relocated or contracted) would the NHL miss them? I think so, an all-American NHL just does not seem to work. If the NFL does not come to Canada, would anyone outside of Toronto think that the league was "missing something"....not likely as an all-American NFL seems to work just fine.

That is not to say the NFL won't come here....or even to say I don't want them here......I just don't see a lot of comparison between the NHL in Canada and the NFL in Canada.

I heard Doug Ford on the Fan590 this morning. His explanation of how he accidently included N.O. as one of the teams potentially moving here sounded very reasonable and his apology sounded, to me, very sincere....and I think I can accept that at face value.

The only part of the interview that disturbed me was the part at the end about the relationship with the CFL and the possibility of tailgating. On the first point he noted that he and his bro were big fans of the CFL and that he felt any NFL team would not mean the end of the CFL in Toronto and that they could work together for the betterment of both teams and the football fans at large. Then the discussion moved to stadium location and the need for a location that facilitated tailgating.....the interviewer pointed out that tailgating was illegal and he said "leave that to us"....indicating that he and Rob could, with the stroke of a pen, change the tailgating laws and permit it if there was an NFL team.

Well if you are such a big fan of the CFL and want to see it thrive AND you can change tailgating laws that easy....do it now. Give the Argos a few years of being able to market their product with tailgating parties included! Or are you only willing to do that for an NFL team?

P.S.....in case anyone thinks this is an endorsement of tailgating, it is not....just don't understand the Fords' position on it. I still stand by my long held position that if we are going to change our laws to allow people to drive to an area for the sole purpose of drinking and eating it must be in a single, controlled access/egress, lot and that each driver leaving said lot should be subjected to a Breathalyzer upon exiting the lot. The interests of public safety as it relates to drinking and driving trump the party time interests of a few thousand football fans.....if we can't put this stipulation in place, leave our current laws as is!

I still stand by my long held position that if we are going to change our laws to allow people to drive to an area for the sole purpose of drinking and eating it must be in a single, controlled access/egress, lot and that each driver leaving said lot should be subjected to a Breathalyzer upon exiting the lot.

Oh please. How is that any different from the thousands of people who drive to bars, clubs or a friend's party? This nanny state nonsense over liquor is easily the worst thing about living in Toronto. Every Canadian province that I've been to and every US state - including Utah - has a more laissez-faire attitude to booze than we do.

I gotta side with the "NFL here and NHL here being not comparable" side of this discussion.

Think of it this way....if all of the Canadian based NHL teams were gone (either relocated or contracted) would the NHL miss them? I think so, an all-American NHL just does not seem to work. If the NFL does not come to Canada, would anyone outside of Toronto think that the league was "missing something"....not likely as an all-American NFL seems to work just fine.

That is not to say the NFL won't come here....or even to say I don't want them here......I just don't see a lot of comparison between the NHL in Canada and the NFL in Canada.

I heard Doug Ford on the Fan590 this morning. His explanation of how he accidently included N.O. as one of the teams potentially moving here sounded very reasonable and his apology sounded, to me, very sincere....and I think I can accept that at face value.

The only part of the interview that disturbed me was the part at the end about the relationship with the CFL and the possibility of tailgating. On the first point he noted that he and his bro were big fans of the CFL and that he felt any NFL team would not mean the end of the CFL in Toronto and that they could work together for the betterment of both teams and the football fans at large. Then the discussion moved to stadium location and the need for a location that facilitated tailgating.....the interviewer pointed out that tailgating was illegal and he said "leave that to us"....indicating that he and Rob could, with the stroke of a pen, change the tailgating laws and permit it if there was an NFL team.

Well if you are such a big fan of the CFL and want to see it thrive AND you can change tailgating laws that easy....do it now. Give the Argos a few years of being able to market their product with tailgating parties included! Or are you only willing to do that for an NFL team?

P.S.....in case anyone thinks this is an endorsement of tailgating, it is not....just don't understand the Fords' position on it. I still stand by my long held position that if we are going to change our laws to allow people to drive to an area for the sole purpose of drinking and eating it must be in a single, controlled access/egress, lot and that each driver leaving said lot should be subjected to a Breathalyzer upon exiting the lot. The interests of public safety as it relates to drinking and driving trump the party time interests of a few thousand football fans.....if we can't put this stipulation in place, leave our current laws as is!

I don't think they would, as if not for Gary B's program, Edmonton and Calgary would be gone. The league would not miss them. I would not. Of course Toronto is not missing something if we don't have have it. My original position was that we need a proper stadium before we even think about it. But I have been forced into confrontation with GenerationW simply because he thrives on always being right. And yes the liquor should be loosened. Most DWI's come from house parties anyway.

Oh please. How is that any different from the thousands of people who drive to bars, clubs or a friend's party? This nanny state nonsense over liquor is easily the worst thing about living in Toronto. Every Canadian province that I've been to and every US state - including Utah - has a more laissez-faire attitude to booze than we do.

I just think there is a big difference with tailgating in that it is an activity around drinking that, by definition, you have to drive your car too.

Back